Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Comprehend Shinjis eyes and skin

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BigSkeez0195
Embryo

Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Comprehend Shinjis eyes and skin

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I had just finished a weekend of re-watching the rebuild movies and i dont know if this question has been brought up before. But after Shinji and Eva .01 go into "Berserk" mode and Shinji is in the process of rescuing Rei. We see that he has a skin complexion that resembles Rei and Kaworu. His eyes also appear to be red similar to them as well. Does anybody has any theories as to why this is happening?

This will be my first post on these forums so feel free to let me know if im posting in the incorrect spot.

Thanks,

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Comprehend Shinjis eyes and skin

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm

I always just thought it was a stylistic thing, I never realized it mirrored Rei and Kaworu's colour schemes. If both Rei and Kaworu have the souls of Lilith and Adam respectively in New Theatrical Evangelion, like they did in Neon Genesis, it could have something to do with Shinji's soul making a direct connection with Yui's in Unit 01's core, or perhaps it has to do with Unit 01's body herself, as all humanoid Evangelions are clones of either Lilith or one of the Adams. Although, that is interesting, because when Unit 13 awakens and goes into it's pseudo evolved state at the climax of Q, her armor/restraints turn white, and her eyes turn red, but both Shinji and Kaworu keep their normal Unit 13 Plug Suit designs. This likely has to do with the fact that Unit 13, instead of being a clone, is actually one of the remaining four Adams, as confirmed by Mari when Unit 13 sprouts it's wings.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

BigSkeez0195
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 am

I find that interesting that when unit .01 becomes awakened in 2.22 that the cockpit goes through a different effect than in Q. There must be different versions of awakening I take it. Unit .01 sees Shinji go almost primal trying to save Rei. Where he’s basically stuck in a glass box in Q’s awakening of unit 13. It may have more to do with his intentions with the power of awakening than anything.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 pm

View Original PostBigSkeez0195 wrote:I find that interesting that when unit .01 becomes awakened in 2.22 that the cockpit goes through a different effect than in Q. There must be different versions of awakening I take it. Unit .01 sees Shinji go almost primal trying to save Rei. Where he’s basically stuck in a glass box in Q’s awakening of unit 13. It may have more to do with his intentions with the power of awakening than anything.

I think that this has to do with Unit 13 not being a clone, but actually being one of the original four Adams disguised as a regular Evangelion by Gendo. It's likely that normally, any Evangelion that awakens WOULD experience the same thing that happened with Unit 01, going through pseudo evolution, and then becoming Awakened, instead of skipping straight to being Awakened like Unit 13.

BigSkeez0195
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm

So if unit .01 and 13 are both a pair of the Adams seen at 2I (in the Rebuild). Has there been any indication as to where the remaining 2 are? We are supposed to be under the impression that every Eva contains a soul within it. (although that isn't necessarily discussed in the rebuild movies as much as NGE other than Yui's contact experiment shown in Q) They seem to imply that Shinji and Kaworu represent the souls needed for Unit 13 to function. Either they've improved technology in the Evas that they no longer need the contact experiment before they are operational. OR a part of Adams soul is still within the Eva. But that would seem counter productive for them needing 2 souls for Unit 13 to operate in the first place. Sorry if i seem to be all over the map with this discussion. Its certainly getting off topic.

Back to the original conversation. I would make sense that every Eva is capable of reaching the same level of awakening. I just wonder at what point does it have to do with the pilots actions or the soul within the Eva. It could be a mutual understanding or entirely based on the intent of one or the other. You see a semi awakened state with Unit .01 saves Shinji from Sachiel (which would be through the will of Yui). Then you see Shinji awaken unit .01 when he attempts to save Rei from Zeruel.(which could also be partly due to Yuis will also). Now in Q you see that Unit 13 seems to take control as soon as the spears are removed from unit .06 and the giant Lilith. So who is calling the shots within the action of awakening and 4I in Q? Too many questions i know haha

BigSkeez0195
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Theres really 2 main options to answer the beginning of this thread.
1) Anno chose those colors because these "god like beings" must have similar characteristics to Rei and Kaworu. So when Shinji and Unit .01 become awakened that he starts to "transform" into these beings while attempting to save Rei.

or

2) it was aesthetically pleasing

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm

View Original PostBigSkeez0195 wrote:So if unit .01 and 13 are both a pair of the Adams seen at 2I (in the Rebuild). Has there been any indication as to where the remaining 2 are?

I don't think it was ever stated that Unit 01 is an Adam, only Unit 13. Besides, seeing as how 13 is a confirmed Adam, and had a slightly different cycle of Awakening, most notably in it's skipping over the pseudo-evolution and the colour palette of the unit itself and the pilots being swapped, I don't think Unit 01 is even a clone of one of the Adams.

BigSkeez0195
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BigSkeez0195 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I thought it was implied in 2.22 after it had begun the awakened state and Misato states "just like 15 years ago" It all just seemed very similar to the flashback story Kaji tells Shinji. Also i thought i had read it somewhere on here before that Unit .01 was one of them. So then it would be Unit .06 and Unit 13 are 2 of the Adams? that i have also read somewhere on these forums before.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”