The ocean is blue in Q's preview at the end of Break!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

The ocean is blue in Q's preview at the end of Break!

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 pm

If you look at the very brief clip of a few helicopters landing on an aircraft carrier in the next episode style preview for Q at the end of Break, you can see that the ocean around it is blue. I highly doubt this was just an animation error, seeing as how only the preview at the end of Prelude had a different look to the final Break film, so is it possible that humans have found a way to restore the ocean between Break and Q?

Side note, during Prelude's preview for Break, text appears before showing what it describes, and just after ADAMS (followed by a picture of the early, super skinny Adams), the text LILIN+? appears, followed by a few frames of Ryoji Kaji looking up at something. Could the humans of the New Theatrical films be some sort of higher evolution of the humans from Neon Genesis? It seems this would certainly add to the sequel theory, and maybe even the time loop theory.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: The ocean is blue in Q's preview at the end of Break!

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm not sure whether we can really draw anything from this. Firstly, because we don't know for a fact whether the events in the preview did happen during the 14 year timeskip. I still think it's possible, but we don't have any confirmation yet. Secondly, we don't know for certain just how much of the world's oceans are red. Sure, there is the treatment station in Break, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that the red seas are only around Japan, or Tokyo-3 or whatever,or any comments regarding the seas specifically, IIRC. Interestingly, the lake in Tokyo-3 is still blue,though it's always possible the LCL is only present in oceans but not in rivers and lakes. Anyway, you are right indeed that we do get to see a blue ocean in the preview. So even IF the preview isn't canon, the very fact that they chose to make the water blue in what would probably the open seas for an aircraft carrier to be in already significant.

Okay, so, I've looked at Prelude and at the end you can see Kaworu with the Earth on the background. Interestingly, it looks... a bit of both?

SPOILER: Show

Interestingly, the water looks redder, purple in fact, as you get closer to the continents, but it grows bluer as you get further. Maybe this is simply because of the lightining conditions?

Again, in Break:

Q starts with a space scene which clearly shows pretty much all of the Earth is Red now:

Here we see Wille's Antarctic Base.

It's interesting to parallel this with Antarctica in Episode 13, which is also all red, something that does not apply to all the seas in NGE, at least not until EoE. Maybe.

Finally, in Q we see Asuka's Eva swimming, and though they are clearly in the high seas (probably somewhere in the Antarctic Ocean), it's all red, even in whatever depth the Wunder is at, during multiple underwater scenes, like this one:

There's also the ocean life that is preserved within that station in Break, but I suppose it could just be life from the Antarctic, the coastal regions, or even the higher levels of the oceans. Who knows. Again, until Q we have no indication of that being the case in all oceans.

So it's almost impossible this was simply an error and not a deliberate choice. We simply don't know exacly what happened during the timeskip, and the information we do have is partial and probably not entirely factual. This was already discussed more than once. Whatever happened during these 14 years, it sure as hell didn't stop with Shinji, and probably didn't start (only) with Shinji.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:25 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:LILIN+?

Lilin + ?
Lilin and [Unknown]

What followed this caption were images of what seem to our eyes to be mostly Lilin -- but Kaworu, at least, is an obvious contender for the "?" straight away.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Interestingly, it looks... a bit of both?

The blue color on the fringes comes from the atmosphere alone.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:If you look at the very brief clip of a few helicopters landing on an aircraft carrier in the next episode style preview for Q at the end of Break, you can see that the ocean around it is blue. I highly doubt this was just an animation error, seeing as how only the preview at the end of Prelude had a different look to the final Break film, so is it possible that humans have found a way to restore the ocean between Break and Q?

Side note, during Prelude's preview for Break, text appears before showing what it describes, and just after ADAMS (followed by a picture of the early, super skinny Adams), the text LILIN+? appears, followed by a few frames of Ryoji Kaji looking up at something. Could the humans of the New Theatrical films be some sort of higher evolution of the humans from Neon Genesis? It seems this would certainly add to the sequel theory, and maybe even the time loop theory.

We actually don't know if the aircraft carrier was on the ocean or a (artificial) lake. In both EoE and 2.0 we see that NERV (Anno) loves to place war ships in lakes.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 am

I wouldn't hold up any of the post-credit "Previews" to much scrutiny.

I've always held the believe the unnecessary after the credit "Previews" in the Eva films have always been hastily put together. Something that Anno doesn't really care about and has only tossed onto the films because they were holdovers from a time when Rebuild was supposed to be a much simpler project.
That they're holdovers from when these whole series was more directly a re-animation/re-edit of the TV show into three cheapie "episodes" that Khara would release over the span of one or two years. (Also is why these movies have unnecessary "commercial break eyecatches" in the middle, they were a cute reference in 1.0 but feel very silly and unnecessary now that the films are fully their own thing. I'd love if when these movies are over and Khara does a "Final Cut" release of all four movies they cut those out)

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the "Previews" & especially the one at the end of 2.0 were quickly thrown together by the team based off some lines Anno threw onto a napkin - "Uh, Asuka's back. Kaworu smiles. A couple Rei's. And why not, Gendo + Fuyutsuki hanging out with a donkey." - and had little directorial oversight so a blue sea could slip in.

Kisses4Katie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kisses4Katie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:51 am

I think we will get some flashback stories and that might explain it.

What I want to know is how the hell did the survive and build Wunder while 3I is going on?!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am

View Original PostKisses4Katie wrote:I think we will get some flashback stories and that might explain it.

What I want to know is how the hell did the survive and build Wunder while 3I is going on?!

3I was stopped by Kaworu immediately, plenty of time in 14 years to found Wille, build the Wunder and restart 3I again (in any order).

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:52 pm

If I recall, didn't the storyboards for the NEP indicate that Unit 01 was submerged in the shots of it sealed in the Geofront? Which would indicate the Geofront had flooded (probably from the nearby lake?). I'd guess those aircraft carriers were parked on top of the Geofront as part of some lockdown measure.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:37 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Also is why these movies have unnecessary "commercial break eyecatches" in the middle, they were a cute reference in 1.0 but feel very silly and unnecessary now that the films are fully their own thing. I'd love if when these movies are over and Khara does a "Final Cut" release of all four movies they cut those out.

Regardless of why they were originally put in, I feel they accentuate dramatic moments/indicate a change in the narrative.
Just cutting them out would also leave the sequence-transitions be somewhat akward.

Regarding the blue water, it's not ocean water, that's for sure. But I doubt we'll ever see where that was supposed to be.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”