Shikinami or Soryu relationship with Shinji ?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ekonomi122
Embryo

Shikinami or Soryu relationship with Shinji ?

•      
  •      

Postby Ekonomi122 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 am

What you guys opinion about Shikinami relationship Shinji ? Do you guys think their relationship is better than Soryu ? I vote Shinikami because she have better relationship with Shinji than Soryu . Soryu relationship with Shinji is more hostile relationship .

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

Re: Shikinami or Soryu relationship with Shinji ?

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 am

I vote Soryu because she's far deeper character whose relationship with Shinji deepens the exploration of Shinji as a character.

IMO, the goal of a relationship in a story is to further develop or explore the characters involved in a relationship. A character with depth offers more to the audience in a relationship than a character without it.

Shipping isn't relevant to me, what makes a good story is.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:06 am

I know that a lot of people feel strongly about this matter but personally I don't really have a preference, both relationships intrigued me during my first watch and both work well considering the different formats and time constraints present in the TV show and the new movies.

If had to chose maybe I'd say Shikinami-Shinji because I loved the different take on the bed scene, I never cared much about the original version.

Anno's bait worked for me  SPOILER: Show
— What was the impetus for the change?

Anno: The big thing was the comments made by Makki (Director Kazuya Tsurumaki’s pet name). For this, we can’t make films just by summarizing the TV series. He also said, I want Asuka to have a film-like role. At this rate, she will just be making an appearance - she provides no drama vis-a-vis Shinji, the protagonist; she is not involved. Furthermore, As a story, it’s not different enough from the original series - all these in succession. He further said, Isn’t a change as drastic as having Asuka pilot Unit-03 necessary? I think, because this was a major, fundamental change, opinion was divided when I researched the views of a number of staff members. (Ikki) Todoroki, in particular, was tremendously opposed. After thinking about it, I ultimately adopted Tsurumaki’s proposal and decided to change the pilot of Unit-03. That was the sixth draft of the script. It was finished following the 2007 new year, on January 8th. In this draft, the test pilot was simply changed from Touji to Asuka, [and the reason for it - Mari, the new pilot, is reassigned to NERV HQ from Europe, and Asuka will be taken off of Unit-02, so she volunteers - was really just improvised. ?] The change of test pilot was forced into the draft, with the characters and situations left unaltered.

So, naturally, I received, and agreed with, a proposal memo sent out by Tsurumaki, which said, We have to provide Shinji, as well as the audience, with the same degree of shock and sense of loss as when Touji was lost in the TV series. For that reason, by boldly portraying Asuka as a good character, I hope to greatly convey that sense of loss. Because of that, I wanted to have Asuka pilot Unit-03 in order to do something for Rei, and Shinji, and others - something for other people. As Tsurumaki put it, it’s like a death flag is raised. As a result, Asuka piloting Unit-03 ended up being made into the peak of her drama. I changed various parts of the script in accordance with this. For example, Asuka’s impetus for piloting Unit-03 would connect with the story of Rei [learning to cook and?] preparing a dinner party for Shinji and Gendou. It seemed like these things, as well as Asuka’s character, dialogue, and so on, had gradually become solidified.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 am

The relationship between Shikinami and Shinji is better from their point of view, but Soryu and Shinji is better for us, the audience.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm starting to think that Asuka isn't the right girl for Shinji, Soryu or Shikinami. Both of them have had a bad relationship with him. Asuka in the original series seem to despised him for personal reasons and is quite difficult to put up with, whereas Shikinami has the shared hatred of him as everyone else does in 3.0 for causing the Third and Fourth Impact.

In the end, she's just not right for him. And I don't think Shinji would want to be around her either because of how and what she is.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I'm starting to think that Asuka isn't the right girl for Shinji, Soryu or Shikinami. Both of them have had a bad relationship with him.

Still, since it's not a romance series anyway, this is no particular disadvantage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm

As of the events of 3.33? The relationship they could have had, is gone forever. What Shinji did in that movie, On top of the 14 year time gap which was completely corrosive to whatever they could have had. Shikinami will never have romantic interest in him. Even if she can somehow come around to forgiving him for what he did, romance is not happening.

Best case scenario? At the end of Final, she accepts Shinji's apology then they go their separate ways amicably.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 am

The relationship between Shikinami and Shinji is better from their point of view,

Not really sure how you've come to the conclusion that they're in a better place after 3.0, where Shinji is still nihlistic, has regressed rather than progressed, lacks the will to live, isn't expressing himself in any way, and where Asuka is physically abusing him, than after EOE where both had found the will to live, Asuka is caressing him, and Shinji opens himself up.

Irrelevant of whether you prefer one relationship or the other, how is their relationship in a better place as of Rebuild than it was in EOE?

romance is not happening

Yeah, simply put, if Anno wants to have their relationship repair itself and turn into a romantic, it's perfectly possible for him to do so. What if Anno decides that their relationship can be repaired, the n the whole, "romance is not happening," is shown to be premature. In a story there are infinite possibilities for where a character's story arc can go. While you can certainly argue a romantic relationship is not likely, would be a bad storytelling decision, ect, the idea that it's impossible is absurd. Hell, if Anno wanted, he could write a plausible romance between Shinji and Fututsuki. I certainly wouldn't support that story telling decision, but that doesn't mean he can't do it.

Whether they have a romantic relationship comes down to what Anno wants. If that ends up being the end point he sets for their arc, he has a million ways to get there.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:Not really sure how you've come to the conclusion that they're in a better place after 3.0, where Shinji is still nihlistic, has regressed rather than progressed, lacks the will to live, isn't expressing himself in any way, and where Asuka is physically abusing him, than after EOE where both had found the will to live, Asuka is caressing him, and Shinji opens himself up.

Irrelevant of whether you prefer one relationship or the other, how is their relationship in a better place as of Rebuild than it was in EOE?

The main argument here would probably be that they didnt activelytry to kill each other (yet?) (aside from maybe the final fight in Q, which to me felt more like "get him out of the Eva before he does anything ridiculously stupid"). And the beach scene from EoE can mean anything really, since it is so short and unexplained. Now Im not saying that youre automatically wrong with your interpretation, just that I really dont believe that anyone aside from Anno himself can definitely tell how the relationship between Asuka and Shinji was after EoE (maybe not even he, seeing how the "Disgusting"/"I feel sick" line was created)
EDIT: Also, lets not forget the catchphrase of this forum
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Their relationship can best be quoted with the song lyrics "I hate you i love you"
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:"I hate you i love you"

That even applies to Shinji loving and hating himself:

SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:That even applies to Shinji loving and hating himself:

SPOILER: Show

So I take that's Shinji's and Asuka's relationship in a nutshell?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 am

It applies to us all in some degree; the main difference is whether we acknowledge and accept it.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:Their relationship can best be quoted with the song lyrics "I hate you i love you"

Their relationship is True Love by Pink

Sometimes I hate every single stupid word you say
Sometimes I wanna slap you in your whole face (whoa oh oh)
There's no one quite like you, you push all my buttons down
I know life would suck without you (whoa oh oh)
At the same time, I wanna hug you
I wanna wrap my hands around your neck
You're an asshole but I love you
And you make me so mad, I ask myself
Why I'm still here, or where could I go
You're the only love I've ever known

There's even some chocking in the lyrics :lol:

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Soryu seems closer to Shinji and more likely to have a relationship with him. Whether this a good idea is a separate topic that has gotten plenty of debate here.

Shikinami in Q seemed so much more mature than Shinji. Maybe she's not exactly a 28-year-old, but she seemed like an adult who prioritized her duty over her own feelings; he still seemed like a needy child. There's too much distance between them for a romantic relationship, and any friendship they have would be a sort of mentor-protege feel to it because of the difference in life experience.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 am

She seems to hate Shinji the same way my race despises humans
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:44 am

As much as I would like them to be together, I wouldn't mind when they can't be. So much happened between them and so many mistakes were made and chances weren't taken, that they can't really think from themselves to be worth being loved and worthy for each other.

The only thing that's best for them, is to confront their problems and mistakes they made. They can't ignore them any longer.

When Asuka doesn't want a relationship with someone, then she doesn't need one. This won't change who she is whether she wants Shinji or not.

Those 14 years since Matsushiro and 3I she spend with, she should've had enough time to think about who Shinji is for her.

How it ends between them is their decision. Shinji wouldn't believe to be forgiven by her anyway. And Maris hopes for them to be together are about to cease.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 am

View Original PostAsuka'sBigBrother wrote:I vote Soryu because she's far deeper character whose relationship with Shinji deepens the exploration of Shinji as a character.

IMO, the goal of a relationship in a story is to further develop or explore the characters involved in a relationship. A character with depth offers more to the audience in a relationship than a character without it.

You can go too far with that mindset. There is a point at which character development can be a bad thing for storytelling. Nobody likes it when Peter Jackson's King Kong spends an hour on the boat deeply developing characters that go nowhere once they get to Skull Island.

I feel like the character exploration of Soryu was worth while on NGE. I feel the curtailing of character exploration for Shikinami was equally worthwhile in NTE. These creative decisions both served their respective stories perfectly.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:24 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
I feel the curtailing of character exploration for Shikinami was equally worthwhile in NTE. These creative decisions both served their respective stories perfectly.

How? What exactly did making Asuka a shallow version of her earlier incarnation do for the story? Make time for more pointless undeveloped characters?

How does Asuka not being developed make the story stronger than if she was developed?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 pm

If order to imagine an NTE series where Asuka gets more character development, we would have to imagine not only entirely different movies, but an entirely different Asuka all together. NTE doesn't have an ensemble cast like NGE did. Rather, it is 100% Shinji's story. Soryu's development in NGE isn't conducive for focusing the story more towards Shinji, and a more elaborate Shikinami would make the film suffer the same pitfalls Peter Jackson's King Kong fell into when they also developed the characters that weren't Ann Darrow or Jack Driscoll. Like PJ's King Kong, NTE would become too unfocused of a narrative if it were to feature a distractingly complex Shikinami, especially for movies that average only 102.67 minutes to date.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”