In NGE, the entry plug has been ejected three times, two of which are "on camera".
- Rei ejected from Unit-00 during the activation test. (Ep. 05)
- Toji partially ejected from Unit-03. (Ep. 18)
- Asuka ejected off camera after Unit-02 was attacked by Unit-03. (Ep. 18)
In RoE, especially in 3.33, the success rate rose dramatically:
- Rei ejected from Unit-00 during the activation test. (1.11)
- Asuka partially ejected from Unit-03. (2.22)
- Rei ejected from Mark. 09 after SEELE's program took over. (3.33)
- Asuka ejected from Unit-02 a bit later. (3.33)
- Shinji was forcibly ejected from Unit-13 by Mari. (3.33)
I guess they did learn a thing or two about ejection system in fourteen years.
However, nether the TV series or the Rebuild movies have never shown how the entry plug should land when it is successfully ejected. Considering the injury Rei suffered and Gendo's reaction when the ejection system was engaged, her experience probably was not the norm.
In 3.33, we saw Shinji's plug plowed into the ground. The trio were ambulatory and none of them had visible injuries. It is probably safe to assume that the system worked as intended.
The landing site might give us some clue about the landing process: There was no sign of parachutes or air bags on the ground. The scene is not particularly windy; suppose parachutes were deployed and cut after landing, they would not drift too far. The nozzle on the top of the plug are charred. However, since those are the nozzle for the ejection rockets, it is impossible to tell if they had been fired again before landing.
Do the plug cushion the fall at all?