Speculation on Jet Alone

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Adam

Speculation on Jet Alone

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 pm

From what we've seen in the show, Jet Alone doesnt really seem to be anywhere near an Eva performance-wise (apart from power supply, walking speed and maybe physical strength), yet the Japan Heavy Chemical Industries people had so much confidence in it,
SPOILER: Show
and NERV deemed it to be enough of a threat to the Eva project in some way so they decided to act against it (as implied by Gendo at the end of Episode 7)
, which leads me to believe that there was something more to it than what we got to see in the series, apart from its considerably strength.
My guess would be AT-field-neglecting armament (similar to anti-AT-field ammo, except for melee weapons), since otherwise I dont see it holding its ground against any of the angels, apart from maybe Matarael
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

mys_721tx
Embryo

Re: Speculation on Jet Alone

•      
  •      

Postby mys_721tx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:35 pm

Nerv has funding problems as the later episodes and EoE have shown: the base security can barely response to a terrorist attack; the second command center was rushed to finish; Evas have to wait in line to be repaired. Therefore, Gendo probably would not even tolerate the idea of a competitor no matter what tactical benefit it could bring.

Furthermore, the real purpose of Nerv is to implement human instrumentality. No matter how well Jet Along could fight against angels, it will hot accomplish that goal. SEELE will not allow that to happen. Although it would be interesting to see what SEELE would act should JHCI proceed with its plan unimpeded. Will SEELE fund Nerv using dark money? Will SEELE veto JHCI's proposal through the Human Instrumentality Committee? But I digress.

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 pm

mys_721tx wrote:Nerv has funding problems as the later episodes and EoE have shown: the base security can barely response to a terrorist attack; the second command center was rushed to finish; Evas have to wait in line to be repaired. Therefore, Gendo probably would not even tolerate the idea of a competitor no matter what tactical benefit it could bring.

The thing is, Jet Alone happened in Episode 7. After Ramiel and before Asuka arrived. By then budget wasnt cut for the Evas, at least not in a scale anyone bothered with it too much (if I remember correctly)

mys_721tx wrote:Furthermore, the real purpose of Nerv is to implement human instrumentality. No matter how well Jet Along could fight against angels, it will hot accomplish that goal. SEELE will not allow that to happen. Although it would be interesting to see what SEELE would act should JHCI proceed with its plan unimpeded. Will SEELE fund Nerv using dark money? Will SEELE veto JHCI's proposal through the Human Instrumentality Committee? But I digress.

Thats actually a good question. But one shouldnt forget that instrumentality (at least in the way NERV and SEELE intend it) is only possible after all angels are defeated, so having an additional fighting unit, even if not as strong as an actual Eva, would be very profitable.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:The thing is, Jet Alone happened in Episode 7. After Ramiel and before Asuka arrived. By then budget wasnt cut for the Evas, at least not in a scale anyone bothered with it too much (if I remember correctly)

Actually, aside from a few mentions of budget in Ep 02, Ep 07 is the first episode that addresses finances in the Eva verse. Ritsuko discusses the repair budget after Operation Yashima, and Gendo has a conversation with a man about budgets being voted on and approved for various Evas around the world. These details about budget also are paired with the episode that first explores Nerv's shadier side.

Overall, the connection between budget, Nerv's shadiness, and the JA sabotage seems to be deliberate. I imagine Nerv eliminating financial competition to secure a budget for itself is not far off the mark.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 pm

The real reason is that Jet Alone was simply too powerful.

Gendo knew that a machine built on hope would always end up far more powerful that his own creation which was built on physical and psychological abuse and emotional manipulation.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Joseki
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 pm

I can't see the Jet Alone overpowering Unit 01 in berserk, I don't think it's more powerful than that.

I think that Gendo (and SEELE) simply didn't need an angel destroyed incapable of triggering an Impact.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:05 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Actually, aside from a few mentions of budget in Ep 02, Ep 07 is the first episode that addresses finances in the Eva verse. Ritsuko discusses the repair budget after Operation Yashima, and Gendo has a conversation with a man about budgets being voted on and approved for various Evas around the world. These details about budget also are paired with the episode that first explores Nerv's shadier side.

Overall, the connection between budget, Nerv's shadiness, and the JA sabotage seems to be deliberate. I imagine Nerv eliminating financial competition to secure a budget for itself is not far off the mark.

Wait, really?
Damn, I really need to rewatch NGE... how could I forget that :facepalm:

Storm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Storm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Effectively unlimited endurance is a valuable thing, if combined with a way to neutralize AT fields. (Replica Lances, perhaps?) It also seems likely, at least to me, that JA was considerably cheaper than an Eva to build and operate, didn't depend on the ugliness of child pilots, and quite possibly could be mass-produced in a cost-effective way.

JA is slow and ugly, but thirty of them with anti-AT-Field weapons against something like Ramiel seems like an effective weapons systems.

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

View Original PostStorm wrote:Effectively unlimited endurance is a valuable thing, if combined with a way to neutralize AT fields. (Replica Lances, perhaps?) It also seems likely, at least to me, that JA was considerably cheaper than an Eva to build and operate, didn't depend on the ugliness of child pilots, and quite possibly could be mass-produced in a cost-effective way.

JA is slow and ugly, but thirty of them with anti-AT-Field weapons against something like Ramiel seems like an effective weapons systems.

Certainly true, but I dont know about the "slow" part. Unit 01 is pretty quick on foot and seemed to have trouble catching up to it

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”