What would Rei be like with a little more personality?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: What would Rei be like with a little more personality?

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:12 pm

As stupid and terrible as Angelic Days is, after forcing myself to read the first volume, I think she'd be a less optimistic version of the Rei we see in AD. If she was still the physical clone of Yui with the soul of Lilith, it would make sense for her to be very sweet and nurturing, like that one friend who's like a mom to the friend group.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:18 pm

If Rei "had a personality" she would put both Gendo and Shinji in their places for Yui.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 pm

View Original PostEpilogue wrote:If Rei "had a personality" she would put both Gendo and Shinji in their places for Yui.

She would certainly be a mom type character. I can't help but smile imagining tiny little Rei yelling at Gendo and Shinji, both of them with their heads down.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:She would certainly be a mom type character. I can't help but smile imagining tiny little Rei yelling at Gendo and Shinji, both of them with their heads down.

Sweet revenge  SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:21 pm

With just a little more personality she would probably just be a bit more interactive with others. Because between her shining moments she was just the robot Gendo expected her to be.

And with a lot more personality, in the sense of social behaviour, she would probably be neutral.
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:She would certainly be a mom type character. I can't help but smile imagining tiny little Rei yelling at Gendo and Shinji, both of them with their heads down.

I'm actually imagining something more along the lines of Rei indignantly asking Shinji to hurry up with grandchildren, because she isn't getting any younger XD.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm

You just gotta pay attention.
Taste is subjective and all that and obviously she's a stylized, exaggerated portrayal steeped in fictional elements (as is everyone else - I mean, a college student with model looks, seriously?), but she's not that far beyond some widespread realistic personality types.

We actually have a pretty fleshed out character here, down to philosophical opinions, favorites etc.
She's fairly direct, dutiful, contemplative, likes reading complicated material and (once she got sufficiently involved with other peeps to display that side of herself) shows a lot of concern for her comrades, and also has this whole thing where she's unhappy & feels insignificant because Gendo's got a dozen of her in the basement fridge, but feeling insignificant and isolated is nothing that wild in and of itself.

She's more like a cult member than a robot in that she actually believes in Gendo's purposes at first & follows him because of that (hence why she slaps Shinji that one time) and has been brought up to focus on one goals & not see anything else as important including the thoughts & feelings she very much has.

It's worth noting that the variant of her in ep 26 still comes off as not that aware of social conventions (albeit in a "bubbly" manner instead), running around with a piece of bread while talking to herself and all that.

For all that they look alike there is no indication anywhere that she particularly resembles Yui in terms of personality except perhaps having started out with similar "base stats" in some areas such as intelligence and some unconscious body language stuff; I'd say that she's picked up a lot more from Gendo (and compared to him, she's probably the more expressive one, and no one accuses him of having "no personality".)
For what little we know about Yui, it's apparent that she was born into privilege, easily had her way with people & getting them to follow her, apparently did her own cleaning even though she could probably afford servants and is very much someone who puts her big plans ahead of any loyalty or attachment which is a legit way of being but not very much like what we see of Rei.
I mean Yui will do stuff like refusing to accept anyone else in ep 19 because while she ostensibly cares for and feels protective toward her son, she wants Shinji to play his role in her plan whereas Rei is just about the only person who never gives him crap for wanting to leave and never tries to get something out of him (except maybe Touji and[i] perhaps[/i] Kensuke in ep 4 though the latter puts his foot in his mouth in ep 19)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:07 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:If she had developed some type personality at some point during the series, even somewhere early on, what kind of girl do you think she would be? Or could have been? And how will affect her interactions with the other characters?

I'd say Rei 2 would be very similar to her self in Eva 2.0: Smiling(!) and talking to people more often, but still reserved and enjoying her books for leisure. (A scrapped idea for episode 4, I believe it was, involved Shinji's 14th birthday with Rei cooking him a meal...Which just ended up somewhat carried over into 2.0.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'd say Rei 2 would be very similar to her self in Eva 2.0: Smiling(!) and talking to people more often, but still reserved and enjoying her books for leisure. (A scrapped idea for episode 4, I believe it was, involved Shinji's 14th birthday with Rei cooking him a meal...Which just ended up somewhat carried over into 2.0.)

I would even go as far as saying that this can be applied to pretty much any character in that matter: Less grim NGE = 2.0 personality
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 am

I imagine she'd be something similar to a flat-out realist, like a straight man in the comedic moments and stuff. Like a mother figure of the younger characters maybe?
I do love me some Rei guns.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 am

View Original Postiliescu wrote:Might turn into Asuka would imagine. Less collected and more attention seeking.

Really? I'd be interested in hearing why you think that. I mean they're pretty much exact opposites
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”