2017 Positivity Thread (good things you found, good things that happened, etc.)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

2017 Positivity Thread (good things you found, good things that happened, etc.)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 am

It's the start of the final month of 2017, a year that (depending on where you live, and how often you read the news) was arguably even worse than 2016. And we reach the end of the year, I figured I'd take a cue from a similar thread I did last year and talk about the good things that happened in 2017.

Good things that happened to you, good things that happened somewhere, or even just coming across good pieces of entertainment; all were welcome here. The only thing I will request is you not be snarky about it; if you've got nothing good to say, simply just don't reply. It's been a heck of a stressful year for a lot of folks (me included), and I want this to be a place where people can celebrate the good things that happened to them, and hopefully to recognize how good things still exist no matter what.

With that, I'll begin with a smattering of thoughts:

-My family and I were able to go to Waterville, Kerry this year. We'd always gone there for a week or two every summer, so it holds a lot of nostalgia for me in particular, but we hadn't been able to go there since 2014 for one reason or another. Thankfully, this last July, we were finally able to head over there for a week, and it was so relaxing to just be there again after so long. To go to places I hadn't been in for years, to walk on the beach in the early morning, and to

-Working on the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch thread has given me the chance to check out all kinds of things that I might have previously ignored, and some of them are just amazing. It's also given me something to work towards, in a year when I haven't been too creatively productive, and I really appreciate having something to look out for when I've not got much else to do.

-I finally graduated from my Film & TV Production course in a local college, and have gone on to work on a Music course in another college to try and improve my music composing skills, understanding of terminology, etc. I'm currently able to read and write music at a Grade 2 level, and I think I'm about to go onto Grade 3. I have something of a performance anxiety, but hopefully I'll be able to deal with it in the coming months.

-I got to write a series of reviews for long-running gaming website Hardcore Gaming 101, under the pseudonym 'Apollo Chungus'. It's helped me learn how to work under an editor, how to take screenshots on emulators, and I've even gotten paid for it, which has allowed me to buy books, games, donate to websites, and do other things I wasn't able to do before.

-I listened to a lot of good music this year, and gotten into quite a few artists/composers like Anne Dudley, nelward, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Pogo, Wojciech Kilar and more. I even took track of the awesome music I heard on YouTube through a series of playlists, and you can check out the playlists with these links!

-Actually got to see a few great live-action films in the cinema, such as Baby Driver, Kong: Skull Island and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. After a couple of years of seeing mostly generic franchise tripe, it was great to see really well done live-action movies again. (Seriously, go watch Valerian if you liked The Fifth Element; it's an awesome spiritual successor!)

-Sonic Mania was fucking excellent. No word of a lie; fantastic level designs, kickass music, gorgeous graphics, and perfectly replicating how the original games played - goddamn, my hat goes out to Whitehead and everyone else involved with that game. I wish them the very best for what they've done.

With that done, I'll leave y'all to discuss the good things that happened this year. Have a good day, everyone, and let's hope for a better 2018!

-Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: 2017 Positivity Thread (good things you found, good things that happened, etc.)

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Well...
    > Working on my third master's degree, which will be finished in the Spring.
    > My continued writing my fic series, and getting some great reviews on my Gundam Wing/G Gundam Crossover, Gundam Invasion. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.
    > I have two wonderful friends who really care about me, which a wonderful thing to have.
    > I've been on the forum for over a year now and still find it a wonderful place to be, and almost like a sanctuary to get away from the bs in life.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: 2017 Positivity Thread (good things you found, good things that happened, etc.)

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 am

This year has been fairly standard for me, however:

I finally started dating for the first time in my life. This excites me so very, very much.

I'm on my way to making some car repairs that I've been worrying about for a while now.

And I've acquired the video equipment needed to produce 4K movies/short films in cinematic standards. (1.85:1 aspect ratio with 24fps as opposed to NTSC 16:9 aspect ratio with 23.97fps.) I just gotta find a way to write scripts that works with my 10-hour work shift schedule.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am

Been a good year for me.

[*]I continued work on my big Post 3.33 Evangelion fanfic and finished it a few months ago. Was really proud of that and the reception it got.
[*]Started work on a new Eva fic which seems to be doing well so far. Through the writing I've made more friends in the fandom and feel more confident in my works.
[*]For my actual job, I'm still making good progress. I had a good appraisal and sense of where I want to go over the next year within the company. Already started making progress on that and I'm very happy with it. Also very excited about the next year and seeing peoples reaction to the release. Even if I can't tell all of you what it is, if people do happen to talk about it on here I will be watching closely :tongue:
[*]I finally started making moves to move out of my current apartment here in Edinburgh. Not only that but the place I'm moving into will be my own actual place, I will own it which I'm very very excited for. I get the keys on the 15th and it's just amazing to think I'll have a place I can call my own.
[*]I started playing some new online games with friends again, a couple of us play online each night playing Payday 2, GTAOnline, Dying Light and it's really good fun.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 am

The best thing that happened this year has been that I've been paid handsomely by my employers of almost 20 years to go away and not darken their doors henceforth, thus bringing forwards my retirement plans. Meaning, I don't have to struggle out of bed in the pitch dark this coming winter to commute to an office location I'd spent decades avoiding.

The other good thing that happened was that early in the year, I had occasion to make use of an anime screen-shot that I'd taken in the evening of 16-Oct-2007.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 pm

- I fulfilled my nerdy dream of seeing the first day of testing of the F1 season trackside, it was a nice trip to Barcelona with my girlfriend.

- I finally completed my Detective Conan manga collection, now I'm out of space for other mangas.

- I'm a few exams closer to my degree in philosophy.

- My girlfriend now lives just a few blocks away from me, last year we lived 600+ kilometers away. It changed my life quite a bit.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”