What would Evangelion be without Shinji?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Sachiel

What would Evangelion be without Shinji?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Shinji is probably, without a doubt, the most unpopular character of the show, and possibly of all anime. Not to mention the most hated. And Evangelion is pretty much centered around him, which brings up the question; what will it be without him?
"Who dares summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

viperzero
Embryo

Re: What would Evangelion be without Shinji?

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 am

Nothing, the vast majority of the show's substance is him. Even the other characters, some of which are very deep are developed in relation to him. With him no one remembers eva in 2000 let a lone 2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Shinji is probably, without a doubt, the most unpopular character of the show, and possibly of all anime. Not to mention the most hated.

For a start, you seem unclear in your own mind: "probably" and "without a doubt" are nicely contradictory! Also there are characters that people love to hate - so hatred and unpopularity are not necessarily equivalent. And in any case I strongly doubt that your contention is true:

* Shinji ranked 25th on IGN's first top 25 anime characters list.
* In 2014, IGN ranked him as the greatest anime character of all time,
* In a Newtype poll from March 2010, Shinji was voted as the most popular male character from the 1990s.
* The 19th and the 20th Animage Grand Prix ranked him the best male character of the year.
* Nick Verboon of Unreality Mag states "poster boy/protagonist Shinji is one of the most nuanced, popular, and relatable characters in anime history.

At the least your contention is not undisputed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

C.T.1290
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:For a start, you seem unclear in your own mind: "probably" and "without a doubt" are nicely contradictory! Also there are characters that people love to hate - so hatred and unpopularity are not necessarily equivalent. And in any case I strongly doubt that your contention is true:

* In a Newtype poll from March 2010, Shinji was voted as the most popular male character from the 1990s.
* The 19th and the 20th Animage Grand Prix ranked him the best male character of the year.
* Nick Verboon of Unreality Mag states "poster boy/protagonist Shinji is one of the most nuanced, popular, and relatable characters in anime history.

Well, if Shinji is popular as you say, then why is it that he is amongst the hated ones along with Asuka and some other characters in NGE?
"Who dares summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

jcmoorehead
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:...

Well, if Shinji is popular as you say, then why is it that he is amongst the hated ones along with Asuka and some other characters in NGE?

Because popular figures will always have their detractors and detractors always tend to be louder than the ones who like them. For everyone who loves the Beatles you have a number who yell "Oh god they're awful, I hate them." Just because a number of people dislike him it doesn't make it any less true that he isn't as popular as PWHodges said.

viperzero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Its worth noting you can think someone is an excellent character and not like them. I feel Their are people who like him, people who hate him, and people who think he's well written and not care for him as a person. Their are a lot of fictional characters like that.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:39 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Well, if Shinji is popular as you say, then why is it that he is amongst the hated ones along with Asuka and some other characters in NGE?

Because some people are lacking a basic human feeling called empathy. Even Kaworu was empathetic of Shinji's situation...and he's not even human!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby xanderkh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 pm

People don't like being reminded of the flaws that exist within themselves. That is why so many people are "hateful" toward Shinji, because they don't want to admit that they've been like him. We don't want to admit when we're weak or vulnerable.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

viperzero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:People don't like being reminded of the flaws that exist within themselves. That is why so many people are "hateful" toward Shinji, because they don't want to admit that they've been like him. We don't want to admit when we're weak or vulnerable.

He gets a lot of unnecessary hate by a lot of people for not being overly macho or for people not reading into the subtly of the guy, BUT I would say its just as unfair to say people don't like him because he's a mirror into the darkest parts of the viewers soul. The guy is really dependent on other people for his own identity to an insane degree. To be honest i'm not sure if your supposed to like him, he doesn't even like himself for most of the show. Maybe sympathies? Though that might be the wrong word since he can be kind of pitty dependent at times. Hell even the creator of the show called him (or the whole cast really) messed up or something a long those lines. Anyway I think you can recognize his importance and subtlety without having an opinion one way or the other.

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby xanderkh » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

^

I don't think it's a matter of if we're "supposed" to not like him, more like try to recognized the tragedy of both his situation, and his life. While it's true I don't condone any of the bad actions he's done during the series, or nor can I forgive him for the lowest act he committed, that doesn't really stop me from from caring or loving him as a person and a character.

We've all done some pretty shitty things in our lives, and yes, his acts are pushing it, but they're understandable given the circumstances of both situation and his life. He's not a bad kid, just was dealt a pretty bad hand at the beginning, and it's cemented his own personal view about himself. Because Gendo abandoned him without explanation, it's pretty much ingrained in his mind that he's unlovable, and nothing he does for himself, unless it's told by someone else, will ever make him likable.

His self-hatred isn't a fundamental fact about himself, just an implanted delusion that no one bothered to help convince him otherwise, no psychological help to break that spiral of hatred. That's more tragic than pathetic.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 am

C.T.1290:

I think a lot of your interpretation for these characters is an attempt to compensate the many, wildly varying opinions among the fanbase regarding the series. You might benefit to focus less on the opinions of others, and to focus more on your own opinions of the series that you develop yourself. Of course, you should accept the criticisms others offer, but try to recognize that your ideas are equally as important as the ideas of others and work with those rather than trying to gauge the general consensus of things. Mainstream opinions are not always correct.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

LeoXiao
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I imagine Rei could serve as a pretty decent main character in lieu of Shinji, but they'd have to rework a huge number of things (Kaworu would probably be the major foil/love interest for Rei here) and it'd go from "quintessential postmodern bildungsroman" to "surprisingly introcate and nuanced shojo anime."
Zwischen GEHIRN und NERV muss die SEELE sein!

Asuka'sBigBrother
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:For a start, you seem unclear in your own mind: "probably" and "without a doubt" are nicely contradictory! Also there are characters that people love to hate - so hatred and unpopularity are not necessarily equivalent. And in any case I strongly doubt that your contention is true:

A character being widely liked and widely hated aren't mutually exclusive concepts.
" Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." -ANDY

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”