Introduction, Toxicity of AsuShin and other things

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Asuka'sBigBrother
Tunniel

Re: Introduction, Toxicity of AsuShin and other things

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 am

"Shipping" is this site's version of "fake news". Just address the argument, whether or not the arguer is motivated by shipping isn't relevant.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Thomas68
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thomas68 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Both should just learn how to live with themselves before trying to think about any kind of relationship at all. If that's possible anyway.

Also, consider the huge possibility of holding a grudge for own or others past actions. In reality, very few people can leave their hatred behind them and move on, specially 14 year old kids who probably will have to deal with serious mental issues after the lulzfest that was Angel Wars and Instrumentality. Expect some therapy sessions under Xanax and Zoloft abuse. High chances of both overdosing on meds, if not shotgun mouthwash (a fitting end, might I add).

The odds of a bad blood between Shinji and Asuka rising is far greater than the odds of a "developed relationship" or "personal growth", whatever that means.

In the end, Insturmentality was nothing more than Neon Genesis Evangelion: Tang with LSD Bad Trip and Fapping Remorse.
I've got nothing better to do, so I have registered myself here!

Asuka'sBigBrother
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 am

View Original PostThomas68 wrote:Both should just learn how to live with themselves

They kinda did though. That was kinda what the climax of EOE was about.

C.T.1290
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 pm

If the whole relationship between Shinji and Asuka is toxic and hopeless, then why is it that Anno put them together in the first place? Especially towards the end? It's not like the shipping thing was his idea to begin with, nor was it his intention to go with it. I think it's certain that Shinji would be better off with another girl and for Asuka to be with another guy. At least they don't have to deal with each other. Because let's face it, their relationship was destined to fail.
"Who dares to summon the master of masters, the deliverer of darkness, the Shogun of sorrow, Aku!?"-Aku

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

Blockio
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:09 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:If the whole relationship between Shinji and Asuka is toxic and hopeless, then why is it that Anno put them together in the first place? Especially towards the end? It's not like the shipping thing was his idea to begin with, nor was it his intention to go with it. I think it's certain that Shinji would be better off with another girl and for Asuka to be with another guy. At least they don't have to deal with each other. Because let's face it, their relationship was destined to fail.

Where did you get that from?? By far not a AsuShin person myself, but its pretty clear that they dont seriously hate each other
Neon Genesis Evangelion: the show that makes you wonder, "is this fanservice, or a subtle hint into the psychology of a character and the nature of their relationships with others? ~ Cybermat47

Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Where did you get that from??

He has his very own thread on the matter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Sad, sad Shinji... (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

CaesarMagnus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CaesarMagnus » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:25 pm

C.T.1290 wrote:Then why is it that Anno put them together in the first place? Especially towards the end? .

In my opinion, Anno did a good job portraying Hedgehog’s Dilemma through the characters he created, and the case of Asuka and Shinji is a very extreme, yet clear, way of showing that dilemma. He could have chosen subtler ways of depicting it, for we all suffer of it in our daily interactions with people, according to Schopenhauer; but in Evangelion he chose to show it directly, and that’s why there’s so much tension and raw emotions that get to make us feel somehow uncomfortable (not only with Asuka and Shinji, but with Misato's case too, for instance).

As for shipping, I think many shippers consider NGE is a series of “boy meets girl”, and thus, come to the conclusion that there needs to be a romantic closure. For some reason, many people feel the necessity of giving such closure to all series and films, as if it made them feel better or filled a void in their hearts. However, Evangelion is not a romantic series whatsoever (and if it were romantic, it would be completely unconventional: “boy meets three girls and a gay alien”. No), and, as I see it, what Anno tries to convey is something very different from a rom-com: “shy boy meets other people and struggles to interact with them. He hates himself, but learns that life isn't as bad as he thought”.

If someone feels the imperative need of shipping characters to feel better or happy, it’s their problem. But, as far as the series/film are, as you said, I don’t think that was part of Anno’s plans. In EoTV and EoE he left everything ambiguous and open, up to the audience imagination, maybe because he wasn’t sure of what kind of closure he could give to his characters. That was an excellent idea, in my opinion.

Blockio wrote:It's pretty clear that they dont seriously hate each other

I know what you mean, and it’s true that they don’t hate everything of each other. But there’s a remarkable amount of hatred, disgust and disappointment in their relationship, and that’s what makes it utterly dysfunctional and toxic towards the end. If that hatred (whether it was genuine and/or based on self-hatred) wasn't serious, things would have been very different.
Asuka's loyal Knight.

"We all have to find our own answers." - Hideaki Anno

Asuka'sBigBrother
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 am

View Original PostCaesarMagnus wrote:I
I know what you mean, and it’s true that they don’t hate everything of each other. But there’s a remarkable amount of hatred, disgust and disappointment in their relationship, and that’s what makes it utterly dysfunctional and toxic towards the end. If that hatred (whether it was genuine and/or based on self-hatred) wasn't serious, things would have been very different.

That hatred would exist with or without each other.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”