Does the eva community care more for theme over character?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sen
Embryo

Does the eva community care more for theme over character?

•      
  •      

Postby Sen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 am

It's a common criticism I've heard of and I can't entirely disagree... Characters are treated as modes for Eva's themes rather than individuals with their own traumas, warped psychology and agency.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Does the eva community care more for theme over character?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:36 am

But are not the individuals' traumas and resultant warped psychology the theme of Eva in any case? What other themes do you have in mind?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But are not the individuals' traumas and resultant warped psychology the theme of Eva in any case? What other themes do you have in mind?

Thats true, but we don't have as much character essays that don't try to fit them neatly within the themes of the show, instead judging the character on their own merits. It's subtle difference, to be sure.

It also begs the question: are we doing exactly what the show tells us not to do, by homogenising the characters as all representatives of a singular theme rather than treating them like the individuals that they beg us to do?

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 pm

When a show uses characters as a mode to convey thematic messages, that's a good thing.

The characterization is so good in NGE partially because of how it all connects back to a central theme,
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”