Anno vs. Otaku (critcism, self-reflection, etc)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

So is Anno an Otaku Again?

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 am

It's well known that during the latter part of Evangelion, Anno renounced his former otaku lifestyle and extreme devotion to anime. EoE had several superflat elements that directly criticized the concept of fanservice.

However, though I haven't seen the Re: Cutie Honey episode he directed, from what I understand it was laden with fanservice. Furthermore,
Hideaki Anno wrote:To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

So has Anno "suffered" a "relapse" into fandom, or is he simply aiming his work toward otaku without actually being one?

(In a quasi-related note, I do love his response to the "Gainax, _______ forever!" quote in contrast to Yamaga's. While Yamaga's was "Gainax, an otaku's friend forever!", Anno's was, I believe, "Gainax, there's no such thing as forever!" Leave it to him to make it seem ominous...)

EDIT: I have just found out that Anno supervised Re: Cutie Honey, but didn't actually direct any of it. Huh.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:32 am

I don't think he is. However, it is very easy to accuse him of being one considering that his job is to create and direct stuff. It certainly doesn't help that he has an otaku-like fan following.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:46 pm

Yup, Anno did say "Gainax, there's no such thing as forever!" while Sadamoto said "Gainax, An Otaku's friend forever! (I know it's corny...)"

(I should know, I typed that transcript up @_@)

Personally, I think Anno was implying how he's now a part of Khara, but that's just me. *shrugs*
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally, I think Anno was implying how he's now a part of Khara, but that's just me. *shrugs*
He's still part of Gainax. It's not like he's left or anything. Gainax was just focusing all its energy on Gurren-Lagann, so a new studio was created for Weva.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, in that case, I think he WAS always an otaku, but just got fed up with the culture/studios (perhaps he's pissed about the dark side of anime, too?) so he distanced himself from it. *shrugs*

...Or he was pissed at the "fools" who don't "get" or didn't like EoTV because of its psychological awesomeness and EoE because of its WTF deep thinking moments??
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I do not think he has really ever given up his "otaku-hood". But, he did get burned out by the culture around him during the making of Evangelion around 1995-97 or so.
I also believe he did get his ego bruised a li'l bit by the whole "WTF?!?!?" surrounding the EoTV/EoE in the same manner a parent shows their newborn baby to others and others then says the baby is ugly.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:06 pm

His ego was definitly bruised when EVA ended... I personally think EoE was his response to this.
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:48 pm

A very good response too...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Hailtheplatypus wrote:His ego was definitly bruised when EVA ended...

Bruised because the sponsors pulled their budget and didn't want the original ending that was planned (the EoE-esque one)?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Ornette wrote:
Hailtheplatypus wrote:His ego was definitly bruised when EVA ended...

Bruised because the sponsors pulled their budget and didn't want the original ending that was planned (the EoE-esque one)?

Yeah, because if you look in the last episode they show the previews to EoE, in sketch form.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:07 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Yeah, because if you look in the last episode they show the previews to EoE, in sketch form.

Are you talking about the "The World Ending" preview from ep24? Those sketches are of EoTV. However, the preview from ep24' (the director's cut) is that of EoE.

I'd admit that EoE would probably never have been made (and thus Death and Rebirth as well) if GAINAX had been able to make the ending they had originally planned, but I don't know why Anno felt bruised about the whole incident.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:24 pm

My bad, I forgot they are in the Dir. Cuts.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:05 pm

The previews to 25' and 26' (the former is supposed on Platinum, but either way its the preview is after 24') were originally from the Genesis 13(?) LD(?), the video version of EoE as opposed to theratical (26' has Credits (Jesu, orchestra version), Asuka's "...No." is written, the eyecatches have Neon Genesis Evangelion instead of The End of Evangelion, etc).

The preview of video version 25' are unfinished scenes of Misato saying goodbye to Shinji, Kyoko kicking harpy ass, etc.

26' video version is Gainax studio (live-action) as Misato talks about Shinji's final decision.

In terms of Anno; I actually heard making Eva/ending it helped him with his depression; he felt better after it all.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I actually heard making Eva/ending it helped him with his depression; he felt better after it all.

Ditto. That's why I often refer to the series as his "art therapy". He definitely let it all hang out.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:I actually heard making Eva/ending it helped him with his depression; he felt better after it all.

Ditto. That's why I often refer to the series as his "art therapy". He definitely let it all hang out.

I felt better after not looking at it for about 2 days. Then I found Evamonkey :D

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:45 am

The man's bi-polar.

He sure hasn't lost his otaku sense. He oversaw production of the Re:Cutie Honey and directed the goofy live action Cutie Honey himself.

I think he might've had a conflict arise in him when he was doing Evangelion. With Evangelion he found himself trying to express himself as an artist in a field that up to then (and questionably even now) didn't really applaud artistry and deeper human meanings...ugh I phrased that horribly but whatever.

He was being attacked by the otaku public at large the more it strained from classic anime conventions (the first half is partially like a greatest hits of anime cliches, teh second half subverts that and goes for something more). His prime audience at the time weren't people who wanted to see a human Shinji who failed- most still don't- they wanted...they wanted...a Kamina. They didn't want Rei to stay alone and cold at the end, they wanted her to be happy (and naked- so Anno gave them that in te movie and made it perverse).

I think he just found himself disgusted with his core audience who wanted the same pudding feed to them instead of grasping for something new. I still think he prefers the TV ending to anything EOE or Rebuild will produce.

Anywho, I liked his live action, he went off and tried to get away from the Otaku crowd but I'm hoping he gets sucked back in and can do a NEW anime production, TV or Movie, after Rebuild. Cause while I like his live action, it pales in comparison to anything he's done in animation.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:28 am

Good post there, daddy.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:08 am

Yeah, what Gendo's Pappa said. I happen to agree completely. The anime fandom is, by and large, a very stupid, superficial bunch. But you could say that about practically any group of fans/people. I think the success of NGE was kind of bitter sweet, in a way.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:14 am

I think anno might just need a few bucks to pay off his bookie. That or they need new material to keep the eva chash cow mooing .
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:42 am

Nice post Papa 8)

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, what Gendo's Pappa said. I happen to agree completely. The anime fandom is, by and large, a very stupid, superficial bunch. But you could say that about practically any group of fans/people. I think the success of NGE was kind of bitter sweet, in a way.

Good way to put it. I totally didn't expect that type of ending, so he sure got me. I'm still trying to get over the fact that nobody ends up happy.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”