The criticism of the otaku, speculation, reality or something else?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nahash
Embryo

The criticism of the otaku, speculation, reality or something else?

•      
  •      

Postby Nahash » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am

I often hear that Evangelion's purpose is to expose the woes of Otaku life.
I feel that this view is wide spread. Yet, I have never seen interviews with Anno go in that direction.
I question myself. Is this pure speculation? Or is it my research that is incomplete? Something in between?
My question would be:
Have you heard interviews where Anno goes in this direction? And if so, do you have links point to his interviews?
Last edited by Nahash on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: The criticism of the otaku, speculation, reality or something else?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am

Anno is, himself, an otaku. That he pretty much admits in a few interviews. (Also, read his wife's manga "Insufficient Direction," which is all about their married life together.) Anno said in a few interviews that Shinji is his self-insert character. Anno has also stated that the parts of Eva he didn't like are the parts where he sees himself.

So, Anno doesn't like the parts of Eva that reflect his otaku self, and it shows in his work. Other people read it as an attack on other otaku, when it's really Anno attacking himself.

Nahash
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nahash » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 am

And do you have links points to these interviews?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Hideaki Anno is one of the co-founders of Gainax, a studio that claimed to be "for otaku, by otaku." That much has pretty much been public knowledge, and it was especially highlighted in their production of Otaku no Video in 1985. For a more intimate perspective on Anno's otaku lifestyle one should just read "Insufficient Direction," written by his wife, Moyoco Anno.

Hideaki Anno's statement about Shinji Ikari reflecting "[his] own character" were spoken at a round table interview at Anime Expo in 1996, and can be found here and here.

And finally, the video source where Anno says he doesn't like it when he sees himself in his own work.

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm

View Original PostNahash wrote:I often hear that Evangelion's purpose is to expose the woes of Otaku life.
I feel that this view is wide spread. Yet, I have never seen interviews with Anno go in that direction.
I question myself. Is this pure speculation? Or is it my research that is incomplete? Something in between?
My question would be:
Have you heard interviews where Anno goes in this direction? And if so, do you have links point to his interviews?

Before the release of Q he said this:

“As for the previous Evangelion, many people took what I made as ‘entertainment’ and turned it into a ‘target of dependence.’ I wanted to take responsibility for those people becoming impudent. I wanted to bring the work back to the level of entertainment. However, I’ve started to pull back from that subject (criticizing ‘escapist otaku.’) Those kind of people don’t understand, no matter what you say. I finally realized there’s nothing you can do.”

I think that he started criticizing okatus in a period of time between NGE and Q, and just by feeling I would believe that his "fight" probably started sometime after the end of NGE and it was probably over a few years after EoE.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:30 am

From what I could tell, Anno's fall out with otaku coincided with his fall out with the animation industry in 1998 right after he was booted off of Kare Kano. That's when he started working more with live-action filmmaking, like Love & Pop and Ritual. I think Anno was simply upset with the animation industry as a whole, and simply didn't exclude the adult demographic for animations from his misgivings. I can't find any evidence that those misgivings were present during the production of NGE.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”