A critical Analysis of ROE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

A critical Analysis of ROE

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFultzPN7nU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffVesUI188g

Interesting sh!t imo.

Thoughts? I especially agree with his final commentary on reboots in general.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: A critical Analysis of ROE

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:30 am

I've talked with GJ in PMs a couple times. While he says his opinion towards the rebuilds has softened his final opinion on it does entirely rest on the last movie delivering.

One thing I don't really understand him complaining about is him saying that the movie (2.22) was seemingly building up to toji Pilot the Eva and then subverting the audience's Expectations by having Asuka pilot it instead . Which to him says is a subversion you'd only get if you were already a fan of the series and doesn't really allow the movies to stand on their own.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I've talked with GJ in PMs a couple times. While he says his opinion towards the rebuilds has softened his final opinion on it does entirely rest on the last movie delivering.

Till we find out if it does, we have to base our opinion on what we've been presented.
View Original PostRay wrote:One thing I don't really understand him complaining about is him saying that the movie (2.22) was seemingly building up to toji Pilot the Eva and then subverting the audience's Expectations by having Asuka pilot it instead . Which to him says is a subversion you'd only get if you were already a fan of the series and doesn't really allow the movies to stand on their own.

I don't remember the details of the build up to that to comment. A point he does seem to get at throughout the videos is that the rebuilds seem to depend a lot on the series even though they supposedly are supposed to represent a completely new take.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:10 am

Yeah, it's difficult to perform a critical analysis of a body of work that isn't finished, unless you're simply critiquing the basics of the art of cinema as a whole. (Lindsey Ellis' YouTube series on Transformers, The Whole Plate, is a good example of critically analyzing a body of work that probably won't be finished until the studio is tired of it, as she usually sticks to discussing film and cinema theory within the Transformers movies, and doesn't really get into how movie 3 doesn't narratively connect with movie 4.) Outside of those broad, basic filmmaking principles, many specific arguments for or against NTE rest entirely on exactly how Shin Eva will finish it all. And, seeing as how neither of us have the opportunity to reference Shin Eva just yet, neither of us will be able to really dig deep into any structural narrative nit-picking.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:16 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yeah, it's difficult to perform a critical analysis of a body of work that isn't finished, unless you're simply critiquing the basics of the art of cinema as a whole. (Lindsey Ellis' YouTube series on Transformers, The Whole Plate, is a good example of critically analyzing a body of work that probably won't be finished until the studio is tired of it, as she usually sticks to discussing film and cinema theory within the Transformers movies, and doesn't really get into how movie 3 doesn't narratively connect with movie 4.) Outside of those broad, basic filmmaking principles, many specific arguments for or against NTE rest entirely on exactly how Shin Eva will finish it all. And, seeing as how neither of us have the opportunity to reference Shin Eva just yet, neither of us will be able to really dig deep into any structural narrative nit-picking.

We judge based on what is, not what might be. Untill rebuild 4.0 manages to magically make all three movies before it incredible pieces of fiction, I'm not going to be factoring it in my assessment of it.

Though generally, you shouldn't be reliant on one movie out of 4.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”