Whose Hand is this? (in episode 1)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Whose Hand is this? (in episode 1)

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:42 pm

In episode 1, when Shinji enters the Nerv Headquarters for the first time, going to see the Eva-01, we can see a giant hand. When we see it we asume that is the Eva-01 hand, but then we see that the arms are in the wall.
And in the manga we can see the same thing, Shinji, Misato and Ritsuko going in the boat, passing the giant hand, and then arriving to the arm of the Eva-01.
WHOSE HAND IS THAT? :shock:
*insert cool signature here*

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:51 pm

Umm it has to bee ether eva unit-00 or mabe one of the test boddies they use later in the show?
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:03 pm

Ya, I think that's Unit-00 from it's first activation test when it went berserk and started beating the wall.
I guess one of its hands went thru.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:24 pm

Well, I didn't want to let this get out, but...

that hand...belongs...

...to me.

I know, I know, they always said in Phys-Ed that
steriods were bad, but y'know.

:lol:
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:47 pm

Bad Kiel. Bad! I don't remember seeing Unit 01's handing sticking through the wall when it was shown in episode two.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

good point.

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:11 pm

You got that right Dave.

Eva unit-00's right hand is curled into a fist and smashed into the glass, but there is no sign of the pink liquid that fills the tank The Hand seems to be pressed against. And besides, wouldn't Eva-unit00's test box be kinda out of the way since they where heading for the holding cages?

It might have been one of those test bodies, but maybe it was some kind of Neon mural/screen? Remeber the big screen in the Bath (in episode 24) which alternates between a peacfeul shot of a mountain and a seizure inducing still of the NERV logo?

Of course I guess we can all rest easy now that we know it was Kiel's hand.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:35 pm

Well, i've never thought about Eva-00, because i thought that his fist was smashing the window where gendo was.
But right now i rewatched the episode, and the Eva 00 after smashing the window, explels the Entry plug and then turns to the left and smashes the left wiall, traspassing the wall right before it went out off power. And i asume that after the eva went out of power his hand relaxed and opened a little bit.
Here i have the screen-caps:

MISTERY SOLVE !!! :P

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:39 pm

Isn't that a screenshot from the second time Unit 00 went berserk (after Shinji attempted to pilot it)?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:44 pm

Dave wrote:Isn't that a screenshot from the second time Unit 00 went berserk (after Shinji attempted to pilot it)?

Ehmmm, no. The eva was BLUE when it went berserker the 2nd time with Shinji.
The first screen-cap is from ep 5 Rei I, wen they do the flashback. And the second cap is from ep 2 when ritsuko was talking with gendou looking at the eva00.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:45 pm

Dave wrote:Isn't that a screenshot from the second time Unit 00 went berserk (after Shinji attempted to pilot it)?

No, because Unit 00 is blue by that time. I think its a blooper, plain and simple. Just like the plugsuit in the entry plug in episode 20, the animators screwed up.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:47 pm

Quiddity wrote: I think its a blooper, plain and simple. Just like the plugsuit in the entry plug in episode 20, the animators screwed up.

If it's a blooper, then why they made it again in the manga??? :roll:

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:53 pm

It is the hand of god, welcoming the new Messiah: Shinji Ikari. Is the destiny of man controlled by some transcendental law or will? Is it like the hand of god hovering up above? At least this much is true, that man has no control, even over his own will.

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:15 pm

I would assume its the hand of Unit 00.

There's not much else it could be.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:10 am

in episode 5 the Unit-00 did punch the wall and eventualy break through the wall. While it was punching the wall both hands fists. When Unit-00 stoped moving the left hand stayed in a fist, so it is safe to assume(if you can do that with anything in Eva :) ) that the right hand did also.
I think it must have been some sort of picture. If it was one of the eva's arms I'm sure it would have caught Shinji's attention.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:28 am

If it's a blooper, then why they made it again in the manga???

(Actually, hadn't this part of the manga already been released by the time the anime aired?)

As far as the manga image goes, it's definitely the hand of Eva-00. The anime, on the other hand... there may just have been a bit if indecision on how to handle the environment in the bowels of NERV.

Sometimes an Imperial Stormtrooper bangs his head on the metal door, people. It happens.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:56 am

I'd like to point out that the manga scan is from the flipped version of the English manga, so the original looks just like the anime. Also, for those that have seen the Renewal version, you will know that its much cleaner and clearer, and you can see more of the hand and the wall its coming out of. In the screenshot, you can't tell, but it actually looks about the same as the manga illustration. Only the color and quality of the original masters are too bad to make it out.

sadsadshinji
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:22 am

looked like a mural to me...i would think that if the hand had relaxed it would have been limp and stuff...then again, everythign is hazy...could the test tank have been filled with coolant?

The Eva Monkey
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:18 pm

I think this is just an artistic thing, it's obviously the right hand of Unit 00. It should be a closed fist, but it looks cooler and more dynamic with the hand open.

And, it IS a cartoon guys. Brain farts do occur.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:42 pm

Well when I first watched Eva, I got the impression it belonged to Eva-01 seeing that Eva-00 was locked away. Annnnnd Eva-01 was in the pink restraint liquid and the hand has some sort of pink film over it. That's my opinion and it could have some symbolic reason like it was "reaching out" for Shinji. Kinda giving an early hint of Eva-01's bond with Shinji seeing that we later found out it was his mother's soul in it.

Jason
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jason » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:50 pm

yeah I always had the same thought. When I saw it in the anime I figured they were going around the bottom side of the giant holding tank for 01. Then when I read the manga I thought it was the hand through the wall of 00. I never even figured it was the same scene until I watched the animes again. Yeah I'm a little slow like that :roll:
Feel the word and melt upon it.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”