Impact Event Theory

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ArvisTaljik
Adam

Impact Event Theory

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:20 am

Since I'm one of those annoying people who occasionally likes to ask "Why?" when I see things, I've decided to expound upon one particular instance of this wonderful word known as 'why' popping into my head (there will be humor interlaced throughout this because reasons... so bear with me lol).

Namely:
"Why does Shinji rescuing Rei in Rebuild 2.0 cause an Impact Event?"

We already know that there are significant differences in the metaphysical biology of the Angels and Evas in Rebuild, and the mechanics of the universe are different than those presented in Neon Genesis. That having been said, I'm not using anything from NGE as the basis for my explanation. There is a bit of supposition of things carrying over from NGE to Rebuild, but even that stuff is sketchy at best.

So, lets look at the facts:

• The Angels are considered to be "of Adam(s)"
  • Unit 01 is "of Lilith"
  • All other Eva Units are either "of Adam(s)" or are one of the "Adams" (possibly Units 5 and 13 and definitely 9 as is explicitly stated, plus Unit 6)
  • It is accepted that Lilith + Adam(s) = DOOM
  • The term 'contact' is used most when describing "core interactions" including those between humans and an Eva (Yui...noooo...)

Now lets look at the specifics of the Zeruel situation:

• Zeruel is an Angel and therefore "of Adam(s)"
  • Unit 0 is also "of Adam(s)"
  • Rei is "of Lilith" (I'm actually going to present evidence against this so pay attention ^_^)

Now, with this established we have what goes on in the movie. Zeruel consumes Unit 0 (Rei still inside, obvs...) and several things happen:

• Zeruel is able to shift its signature to match that of Unit 0
  • Zeruel partially changes its physical form to mirror that of Unit 0's pilot, and
  • doing so does NOT create an Impact Event

Given what we see here, this alone is evidence to show that Rei in Rebuild is not "of Lilith." If she was, then the merging of Zeruel, Unit 0 and Rei would have caused Third Impact based on the accepted notion that the merging of Adam + Lilith = Impact Event.

HOWEVER!!!, there is also the idea that Rei may have been "encapsulated" within Zeruel's core to prevent such an interaction. This can be inferred based on how we see Rei as a whole within Zeruel when Shinji reaches in to rescue her. This does come across as a bit flimsy considering that Zeruel partially took on the form of Rei's body and to do so without interacting with her seems rather nonsensical. No?

So lets move forward a couple minutes in the movie to Shinji in Unit 1. We know from what we see on screen that Unit 1 ("of Lilith") beating on an Angel ("of Adam(s)") physically doesn't cause an Impact Event, otherwise Unit 1's battle with Sachiel would have ended the entire movie series... Then of course we have the physical interactions of Unit 1 with Shamshel and Sahaquiel, also with no Impact occurring. Mind you, there was no metaphysical interaction between Unit 1 and the cores of any of the aforementioned Angels. Sachiel detonates its core (to little effect), Shamshel's core never actually touches Unit 1 (just Unit 1's progressive knife) and Sahaquiel's core is taken care of by Units 0 and 2 (both of which are "of Adam(s)").

During the battle with Zeruel, Unit 1 kicks, punches, smashes, stabs, body slams and generally just beats up on Zeruel with no metaphysical interaction occurring. Round One Complete! Unit 1 Wins!

In this process Unit 1 manages to use up all of its SP and the round is over... 0:00! Round 2 begins and it's Zeruel at 25% HP with the comeback... until Shinji decides that this thing ain't over til it's over and then we have THE AWAKENING!!! Round Three; START!

Unit 1 reconstructs its arm using its AT Field then Shinji realizes he has the master control code for the Eva and ←→↑↓↖↗↘↙ A B HADOUKEN!!!'s Zeruel across the Geofront. Then things get interesting...

With Unit 1 in an Awakened state, suddenly stuff starts to get metaphysical between Unit 1 and the Big Z. Most notably comes the interaction between Unit 1 and Z's core. At this point we have the commencement of an Impact Event and we all know where this leads.

So what was this huge wall of text and misplaced video game humor for? I'm really just trying to establish a canon basis for "WHY." That the specific reason why the Impact Event is triggered is solely because of Unit 1 and not because of Shinji, Rei, nor Big Z. If Shinji had been piloting literally any other Eva then either he wouldn't have been able to rescue Rei at all or something entirely different (like the Eva absorbing Z and some freaky mutation $hit going on) may have occurred. The metaphysical interaction between the cores of two beings where one is "of Lilith" and the other is "of Adam(s)" is the "why" for [Near] Third Impact.

The completely, utterly and totally foregone conclusion: Shinji's life sucks from start to finish because Yui is a ho and Gendo has the emotional capacity of a baked potato.

Shinji: Thanks mom and dad! :irked:

[/end]

This post is intended to be taken only slightly seriously and slightly humorously. Do with this post what you will. :)
peace: /piːs/
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Impact Event Theory

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

There are a number of errors you start your theory with, for example it is suggested that Unit 01 is indeed an Adam.

ArvisTaljik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:There are a number of errors you start your theory with, for example it is suggested that Unit 01 is indeed an Adam.

When is it ever stated that Unit 1 is an Adam? That sounds much like the theory that Unit 5 was an Adam but that's not mentioned anywhere official that I've seen.

Unless of course I'm mistaken and there is some official source material that I've missed somewhere...
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 pm

More heavily implied in that when we see Unit-01 during N3I
SPOILER: Show

It pretty much mirrors the four Adam's (especially the one on the far right, who also possesses a third eye and conveniently has his core hidden from view) that we see earlier in the movie
SPOILER: Show

Because of this, Occam's Razor suggests a strong connection between them both, with Unit-01 being an Adam as the most likely
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Unit-01's status as an Adam was recently discussed at length here: post/867517/What-are-the-Adams/#867517
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Given that it's at the very least possible that 01 is an Adam, I think that the feelings Shinji and Rei had for each other played a fairly major role in initiating Near Third Impact. Gendo and Fuyutsuki planned to bring them both closer together - if I recall correctly, Fuyutsuki says that "bringing those two together was enough".
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 am

^ That could also be interpreted as "bringing them together will push Shinji to save Rei, making Adam and Lilith's soul should trigger N3I", infact that's how I interpreted. In 3.0 there's almost the same scenario: an adam, an angel core and a seed soul, and we know that Kaworu was the trigger.

ArvisTaljik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Just goes to show that I need to pay more attention lol.

Hence my missing Rei as a Lilith component.

Now I want Anno to go back and do a filler movie that explains everything between 2.0 and 3.0, namely wtf went on with the Mark.06, Lilith, and the 12th Angel. Kaworu's "The lilim modified it [Mark.06] to be autonomous" sounds like a Dummy Plug, not stuffing an Angel inside of it...

Anyway, I digress. My silly theory was debunked. :)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”