Eva's besides Unit-01: Souls or no souls?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Eva's besides Unit-01: Souls or no souls?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Splitting from this thread.
The Evangelion's besides Unit-01, do they have souls making up their control systems like her? Or is she a unique case and this is simply another change to the lore for NTE?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Eva's besides Unit-01: Souls or no souls?

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Fuyutsuki say in 3.33 that Yui's soul is on 01 because she made herself the guinea pig in an experiment to see if Evas could be piloted via direct core insertion?

If that's the case, it would suggest that a Human soul isn't required for an Eva to function.

And if I'm remembering wrong, it still seems to be the case. It doesn't seem to matter who pilots EVA-03, and Mari is able to pilot 02 with no problems.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:54 am

I'm pretty sure that souls are required for an EVA to function. Remember that they are semi-sentient creatures of massive size, they are basically alive. As Rei has pointed out Asuka, the EVAs have a soul, a conscience too, I think.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:14 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I'm pretty sure that souls are required for an EVA to function. Remember that they are semi-sentient creatures of massive size, they are basically alive. As Rei has pointed out Asuka, the EVAs have a soul, a conscience too, I think.

All that was in NGE. We're talking about RoE.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:02 am

View Original PostCybermat47 wrote:All that was in NGE. We're talking about RoE.

I'm pretty sure all of the things he stated are in rebuild as well. 01 and 00 both go berserk on their own, so they have sentience.
Rei says some shit about EVAs and souls when she's talking to Asuka in the uncomfortably long elevator ride, I'm too lazy to look at 2.0 again and quote exactly what it is.

Anyway, 00 and 02 have souls for certain, and also they are not in their entirety the souls people think. I would justify this stance but again I'm feeling lazy and I doubt anyone would believe me anyway

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Unit 01 is the only Eva that has a human soul in Rebuild.

In NGE; a human soul was required in the Eva for it to work. Further to that, the soul had to be related to the pilot somehow; Shinji and Rei can pilot each others Evas because Rei is related to Yui (she's a clone of her) and Shinji is related to Rei I (a cloned soul of his mother, who resides in Unit 00).

Asuka on the other hand, cannot pilot Units 00 or 01; they even mention that it would be incompatible.

SIDE NOTE: who's soul is in unit 03? Well, NERV were "looking after" Touji's sister so...

If you tried to apply the same logic in Rebuild it doesn't work.

Shinji pilots Unit 13 whilst Unit 01 is the core of Wunder.

Asuka pilots Unit 03 when Unit 02's core in in storage. Then Switches back to Unit 02 after Unit 03 (and it's core) get destroyed.

Mari pilots Unit 05, Unit 02 and Unit 08 (what a whore!)

Rei I pilots Unit 00 and then Rei II pilots MK 09. This is not all that unusual for NGE's universe; they can just xerox another Rei to be the resident soul. But still..

In Rebuild, the Dummy Plug is just a computer who takes over the controls; there is no Rei clone in it's core.

When Unit 00 goes berserk in 1.0, one pivotal thing is missing from the scene; Ritsuko doesn't think about who the Eva was trying to kill.

In NGE, the first time Unit 00 goes berserk, Ritsuko talks with Misato and the scene ends with a very cryptic "no, it can't be that"...

There is no such line in 1.0.

Now, either Ritsuko in Rebuild is an idiot who has no idea how the Evas work, or there is no great mystery as to why Unit 00 went berserk.

It could be that, in Rebuild's universe, Evas just go berserk when the reins are let go; the beast within takes control if the pilot doesn't dominate the synch.

Unit 01 went nuts during the Angel battle because Shinji fell unconscious and Unit 00 went nuts during activation because plot... and Rei has the personality of a room temperature bucket of milk at that time.

The only Eva that has a human soul in Rebuild is Unit 01; and even that's no longer 100% certain after 3.0.
In a world of order, chaos rules.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 pm

View Original PostArchangel wrote:SIDE NOTE: who's soul is in unit 03? Well, NERV were "looking after" Touji's sister so...

The original NGE required a maternal bond between the resident soul and its pilot. Works for Rei, Shinji, and Asuka, while Kaworu is an anomaly. Instead of Toji's sister, a more favorable candidate would be Toji's deceased mother.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:16 pm

I believe NTE Yui’s role in Unit 01 was specified as “control interface” or something like that. It was far less intimate than it was in NGE, anyway.

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Something like that; controlling the Eva from within the core, as opposed to the variable depth of the entry plug.

On the subject of Entry Plugs; theres a cool freeze frame moment in 2.0 when Unit 01 awakens and we see the computer graphic showing the different plug depths.

Past the Terminal Depth is another called "The Great Beyond Depth"; presumably were Asuka, Shinji and Mari all went to get the Eva's Curse. The Entry Plug allowed them to come back however.

As opposed to Yui who got stuck.
In a world of order, chaos rules.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”