Wait so how did Asuka die in EoE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

Wait so how did Asuka die in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 am

How does Asuka end up dying? You can see her arm split in half and I was wondering how fighting in an eva did that to her. Or maybe just injure Idk
https://i.imgur.com/uMvmab1.jpg
*No longer as depressed!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Wait so how did Spoilers die in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:40 am

View Original PostDepressed Corn Man wrote:Asuka. How does she end up dying? You can see her arm split in half and I was wondering how fighting in an eva did that to her. Or maybe just injure Idk

I believe its all due to her sync, the higher it gets the more real wounds become hence the spear through her eye which if you look closely at EOE is bleeding out really badly after it gets struck so the final spears would have done the same.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Whatever syncing to berserk levels did, followed by the harpies feasting, the gigantic explosion as the Black Moon gets ripped out of the earth would make a definitive coup de grace.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Maya's inability to tell Shinji what happened to Eva-02 and Asuka doesn't make much sense if Asuka was still alive at the time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Telling Shinji that Asuka has been eaten alive and is agonizing it's not easier than telling him that she's dead in my opinion.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:15 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Telling Shinji that Asuka has been eaten alive and is agonizing it's not easier than telling him that she's dead in my opinion.

The point is that because Maya was unable to convey what happened, it must have been something horrible. If Asuka was sitting in her entry plug, blissfully secure from what was happening to her Eva, Maya would have been able to just say that. "Oh, god! Asuka! She's... she's.. perfectly fine." The details of whether or not she's being eaten alive and agonizing, or if she is outright dead don't matter as much as the idea that it was something really, really bad.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Telling Shinji that Asuka has been eaten alive and is agonizing it's not easier than telling him that she's dead in my opinion.

...huh? Maya's reaction comes right after Eva-02 is impaled with the remaining eight spears. Asuka wasn't "eaten alive". Vicariously stabbed to death, yes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Either her high synch rate resulted in the Eva's injuries happening to her (though it is worth noting that while the Eva's head is impaled by one of of spears, Asuka only loses an eye), or it's just something that the fake Spears of Longinus can do.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Well, we did see her arm get split in half while her eye was bleeding out. And she might have felt the Spears piercing her a dozen times over before her EVA was torn in pieces (and probably her as well), so she might have supposedly died from injuries.

I've also wondered who might have patched her up during her time in Instrumentality before being revived on shore next to Shinji. And believe her arm might be intact(unless the bandage is the only thing holding it together, but I see no blood or anything seeping out of it. Plus, it seems be on just right instead of looking lopsided, crooked, or deformed), because how was she able to move it without much trouble when she stroke Shinji face?(which may be a sign if someone affection.)

I'm also wondering how scarred she might be, or if she carry any scars at all(the emotional and mental scars most likely, not sure about the physical kind). The same could he said for Rebuild Asuka, seeing how her plugsuit had duct tape holding it together, but it could just be worn out from battle. And we still don't know what happened to her eye, like if it's missing, or just retained some minor injury which may or may not have her eye restored. Hopefully, we'll know more when 3.0+1.0 comes out.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I've also wondered who might have patched her up during her time in Instrumentality

What do you mean by this? People are just souls in Instrumentality.

before being revived on shore next to Shinji.

Why do you think she was "revived on shore next to Shinji"? She just... materialized out of sand, and not LCL? What about the kicked-over gravemarker? (Do a forum search if you don't know what that is.)

And believe her arm might be intact(unless the bandage is the only thing holding it together

The arm is fine. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to lift it.

Hopefully, we'll know more when 3.0+1.0 comes out.

What in the world would 3+1 tell us about the final scene of EoE?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:What do you mean by this? People are just souls in Instrumentality.

Well, unless the consciousness was still there, she might have pictured herself the same way Shinji did. And someone in there, wether Rei or someone else, might have seen the injuries she'd sustained, and decided to heal her wounds. Not sure how else she would be covered in bandages.

Why do you think she was "revived on shore next to Shinji"? She just... materialized out of sand, and not LCL? What about the kicked-over gravemarker? (Do a forum search if you don't know what that is.)

I seem to have forgotten those two parts when I typed this. So that was probably my bad on this part. I only saw EOE once. Although I think I did read somewhere on how Asuka kicked down her gravemarker that was imlpied.

The arm is fine. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to lift it.

Yeah, Fair point. Her arm didn't seem too bad even with the bandages on as I've said before. I was beginning to worry that she might have to live with one arm because of how damaged it was or might have it amputated because of some possible infection.

What in the world would 3+1 tell us about the final scene of EoE?

I was just saying how her injuries in Rebuild seemed to be similar in EOE, I didn't say what they had to do with each other.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:...huh? Maya's reaction comes right after Eva-02 is impaled with the remaining eight spears. Asuka wasn't "eaten alive". Vicariously stabbed to death, yes.

You are right, I didn't remember when Maya wasn't able to tell Shinji about Asuka's condition, but technically she could have been still alive at that time. My headcanon is maximum suffering: she got stabbed, eaten by the Eva Series and then she's slowly dying until she gets turned into LCL during third impact.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Wait so how did Asuka die in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm

We see Asuka's arm split in half before the cut away. How in the world could she have survived not only that but what happened next? 7 more stabbings, all of which would have been transferred to Asuka. Eva-02 falls limp with the 9th spear -- was probably in the core, and neither of the Soryus are coming back from that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:45 pm

The Sync Ratio was so great that what happened to Unit 02 also happened to Asuka. Unit 02 dies, so also Asuka dies.

What's cruel and unusual about this whole thing is that way back in Episode 2 Maya tells Shinji to not worry about the pain in his arm because it "wasn't [his] real arm." The painful shocker for the audience during Asuka's death scene is that this narrative was a lie the entire time. The Evangelion Units were never the safest place to be. Ever.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Unit-02 was effectively a bomb shelter before Asuka activated it and synced with it.

The bridge bunnies have the capability to dampen a pilots synchronization. However, in Asuka's case, I think they wouldn't have been able to quickly enough before the first spear struck her. After that, the Eva goes berserk, and wouldn't have obeyed commands from Nerv either way.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:What's cruel and unusual about this whole thing is that way back in Episode 2 Maya tells Shinji to not worry about the pain in his arm because it "wasn't [his] real arm." The painful shocker for the audience during Asuka's death scene is that this narrative was a lie the entire time. The Evangelion Units were never the safest place to be. Ever.

Well, we know that Ritsuko, on several occasions, has no true idea what's actually going on with the Evangelions, so anything she said beyond the basics of operating them was either a huge guess or just a lie to make herself feel important.

She's shocked when Unit-01 moves to protect Shinji in Episode 1 and that it still functions after Shinji's been knocked out, the fight vs Leliel, she thinks Shinji is dead, and yet again, she's surprised Unit-01 rips itself from the "womb" , and against Zeruel, she's flooded by hat and everything following that regarding Unit-01. Something tells me Gendo never explained everything, and told her enough too get the things working in order to lay out his plans. And anything Maya knows would be garnered from Ritsuko, so Maya is relaying false information.
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

DarkBluePhoenix: Are you in the right thread? I can't figure out what your'e responding to.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Wait, can the Bridge Bunnies alter Sync Ratio? We always see them measure it, and they have some control during the sync tests, but every time a pilot is on the battlefield any attempts on the part of the Bridge Bunnies to control the Sync Ratio of the pilot is only expressed in pleas to the pilot to not go too far. It seems as though only the pilot has any agency in that regard after the Eva launch.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:28 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Wait, can the Bridge Bunnies alter Sync Ratio? We always see them measure it, and they have some control during the sync tests, but every time a pilot is on the battlefield any attempts on the part of the Bridge Bunnies to control the Sync Ratio of the pilot is only expressed in pleas to the pilot to not go too far. It seems as though only the pilot has any agency in that regard after the Eva launch.

I assumed they could lower the sync level and even cut it as when Zeruel takes unit 02's head off they cut it completely and the manga has a longer shot where Asuka's touching her throat in panic like she's unsure that she's alive for a moment.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:the manga has a longer shot where Asuka's touching her throat in panic like she's unsure that she's alive for a moment.

She's holding her throat in the anime as well, but it's harder to see because everything's dark and red. Guessing the implication there is that the sync was cut at the same time Zeruel's arm reached Eva-02's neck, mere milliseconds before the head was completely severed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”