Make me feel better about Evangelion.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

So I watched the series and EoE a few days ago, and I really shouldn't have.

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey yall. I made a few threads about this on other places on the internet but I thought this would be the best place for it. So on...uh...Tuesday I think, I watched the 26 episodes and End of Evangelion in one sitting, and it triggered something inside of me and I think I'm currently the most depressed I've ever been in my life. I know the series technically kind of has a happy ending but I just can't stop thinking about it. I am not the most mentally stable of people and actually have a list of things that are wrong with me mentally. I'm actually pretty emotionally unstable as well. Let's just say I've had a pretty messed up life. I don't know what it is about Evangelion that made me feel this way; I know it's sad and whatnot but I can watch sad things usually without it ruining my life. It may have something to do with every god damn character not wanting to be alone, and that resonated with me in the worst kind of way. I was just wondering if any of you have felt like this after watching it, and if so what to do about it. I've felt similar to this with other things in the past, but it's never lasted this long. I know it's not just the cartoon; there's some underlying reason to all of this. either way any advice would be nice. also are the rebuilds sequels or not and should I watch them?

also this is coming from someone who barely watches any anime outside of stuff like DBZ.
https://i.imgur.com/uMvmab1.jpg
*No longer as depressed!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So I watched the series and EoE a few days ago, and I really shouldn't have.

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 am

Welcome to the club!

You are by no means alone in your reaction to the series. Underneath all the giant robot trappings, Evangelion is Hideaki Anno's self-directed art therapy for his own depression, with EoE being the result of his relapse after all the stress of the TV production. It is unsparing and unsentimental in a way that very few other works manage, and if you've ever been anywhere psychologically near where he was at, it hits too close to home for comfort.

I came out of the experience quite emotionally battered, and having to write it our of my system in fan-fic form, just to be able to stop thinking about it quite so obsessively.

The Rebuilds are a much more contented and happily married Anno's riff on the themes of the original, so are much more detached emotionally, for all that they benefit visually from the more measured and higher budget production that comes with being films for the cinema produced several years after the original.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

Re: So I watched the series and EoE a few days ago, and I really shouldn't have.

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Welcome to the club!

You are by no means alone in your reaction to the series. Underneath all the giant robot trappings, Evangelion is Hideaki Anno's self-directed art therapy for his own depression, with EoE being the result of his relapse after all the stress of the TV production. It is unsparing and unsentimental in a way that very few other works manage, and if you've ever been anywhere psychologically near where he was at, it hits too close to home for comfort.

I came out of the experience quite emotionally battered, and having to write it our of my system in fan-fic form, just to be able to stop thinking about it quite so obsessively.

The Rebuilds are a much more contented and happily married Anno's riff on the themes of the original, so are much more detached emotionally, for all that they benefit visually from the more measured and higher budget production that comes with being films for the cinema produced several years after the original.

Thanks! I actually just got finished with the 3 Rebuild movies and I am feeling a lot better about things. I just hope 3.0+1.0 ends on a happy note. Like, it doesn't necessarily have to be "Shinji goes back in time and saves everyone and has a 4 way marriage with Rei Asuka and Misato" (although that'd be nice) but something that doesn't make me contemplate suicide for like half a week after viewing lol.
*No longer as depressed!

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:47 pm

I remember when I saw Evangelion around the first time, I was a little mad at some of the characters than sad for giving Shinji so much shit. I kinda wanted to chew Gendo up and spit him out, and some of the other characters too, but probably not as harshly. And I think that the least Asuka could do is be a little more nicer to people than letting her damn pride get in the way and make things worse for other people and herself. And Misato should have done a better job as a guardian and help Shinji more, and maybe put Asuka in her place.
And I hope that everyone learned their lessons from Intrumentality, especially Asuka and Shinji.

And I guess we'll see how the final Rebuild will end. Hopefully, it'll be on a good note, and the people of Wille will see the errors of their way in how they treated Shinji and find some ways to make up for it. (Looking at you Misato and Asuka!)
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:I remember when I saw Evangelion around the first time, I was a little mad at some of the characters than sad for giving Shinji so much shit. I kinda wanted to chew Gendo up and spit him out, and some of the other characters too, but probably not as harshly. And I think that the least Asuka could do is be a little more nicer to people than letting her damn pride get in the way and make things worse for other people and herself. And Misato should have done a better job as a guardian and help Shinji more, and maybe put Asuka in her place.
And I hope that everyone learned their lessons from Intrumentality, especially Asuka and Shinji.

And I guess we'll see how the final Rebuild will end. Hopefully, it'll be on a good note, and the people of Wille will see the errors of their way in how they treated Shinji and find some ways to make up for it. (Looking at you Misato and Asuka!)

yeah i was kind of hoping that the rebuilds would have made everyone better characters and leading to better outcomes. but what i got was alright i guess. Asuka is my favorite character in the show, so yeah having her and Shinji being nicer to each other would be great to see.
*No longer as depressed!

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:50 am

Evangelion (and particularly The End of Evangelion) is beautiful to me because it presents us with all the absolute worst, most horrifying, most depressing things that we can experience in life and says that despite all of that, it's still a life worth living.

Whenever I get down, I try to remember the unimaginable amount of shit that Shinji had to go through, and the fact that he still found the will to go on living after all of it. I know he's just a fictional character and the circumstances he was under would never be possible in the real world, but if we interpret the events of EoE as being a metaphor for the inner turmoil of Anno's psyche, I would say the message we're left with is a very potent one.

That's my take, at least.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:47 pm

View Original PostCommanderFish wrote:Evangelion (and particularly The End of Evangelion) is beautiful to me because it presents us with all the absolute worst, most horrifying, most depressing things that we can experience in life and says that despite all of that, it's still a life worth living.

Whenever I get down, I try to remember the unimaginable amount of shit that Shinji had to go through, and the fact that he still found the will to go on living after all of it. I know he's just a fictional character and the circumstances he was under would never be possible in the real world, but if we interpret the events of EoE as being a metaphor for the inner turmoil of Anno's psyche, I would say the message we're left with is a very potent one.

That's my take, at least.

You know, that's a nice way to look at it. I guess you are right, but I still can't find a way to emotionally detach myself from the show. Either way I'll have to deal with it somehow. Thanks.
*No longer as depressed!

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

Make me feel better about Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm

OK so this topic is one about optimism, and stuff. Let's all get together and talk about why 3+1 is going to be about cuddly kittens and is going to resolve NGE with a big happy ending and a surprise appearance by Antonio Banderas. Tell me about how at the end of EoE, Shinji and Asuka go and get tang flavored slurpees. Tell me about how at the end of the series, they were congratulating Shinji on getting the world record for the Call of Duty Modern Warfare mission "mile high club". But really though let's focus on the happy parts of NGE itt.
*No longer as depressed!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Make me feel better about Evangelion.

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm

These scenes could happen in 3.0 +1.0.

SPOILER: Show

Oh and if it sucks bad just imagine that there all actors getting paid and write a fanfiction to fix it all ^_^
SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

This topic isn't distinct enough from your other thread about Eva making you depressed, so I merged those previous posts into this thread.

As for making you feel better, there is plenty of happiness and hope Eva has to offer. It's just a matter of taking the good with the bad, same with life. If all you see is the negative, you're probably going to be depressed. Happiness takes searching for.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:50 pm

silvermoonlight wrote:Oh and if it sucks bad just imagine that there all actors getting paid and write a fanfiction to fix it all.

To fix Evangelion? Leave Evas alone, those are really strong units. :wink:

Depressed Corn Man wrote:Let's all get together and talk about why 3+1 is going to be about cuddly kittens and is going to resolve NGE with a big happy ending and a surprise appearance by Antonio Banderas.

Okay. Shinji snaps, hijacks Wunder with essential help of Hornet Eyes, who pulls Cassius out of Fuyu's ass. Then they fly together into outer space to find a less fucked-up planet. Anyone can assist them, except for Gendo and Yui, who are punished by starvariance for 1945 years, with possibility of early release after 123 years. I don't know about Banderas, but Kaji is teleported on board out of the blue by Rei II, who marries him with her best friend Kuronami. Also, Ramiel lives.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:39 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:Okay. Shinji snaps, hijacks Wunder with essential help of Hornet Eyes, who pulls Cassius out of Fuyu's ass. Then they fly together into outer space to find a less fucked-up planet. Anyone can assist them, except for Gendo and Yui, who are punished by starvariance for 1945 years, with possibility of early release after 123 years. I don't know about Banderas, but Kaji is teleported on board out of the blue by Rei II, who marries him with her best friend Kuronami. Also, Ramiel lives.

The Wunder then fires a single reactor blast onto Scarif, and the resulting radiation creates Godzilla. Asuka rides Godzilla to North Korea and tickles Kim Jong-Un into submission, and marries Kaiser Whilhelm II in a ceremony presided over by Antonio Banderas. They then return to the Wunder and have 69 children, all of whom are named Shinji.

Meanwhile, Shinji has married Mari, and they have a child named Jean-Luc Picard, who invents the TARDIS and travels through space and time with Pen-Pen. But, back on Earth, Donald Trump watches the ruins of Tokyo-3, and turns to face the camera, a single tear rolling down his face.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Depressed Corn Man
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Depressed Corn Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 pm

I would personally ship Trump with Shinji and Mari with Obama but other than that it's perfect.
*No longer as depressed!

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:12 am

Depressed Corn Man wrote:But really though let's focus on the happy parts of NGE itt.

How about this: what do you consider the happy parts of NGE?
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 am

How could I agree with you all, about how I feel about Eva?

Since the very day I saw Eva and especially 3.0, I only want it to end so I can find my realisation about what Eva is all about. Through Eva, I questioned my existence, my humanity, my personality, my life because I feared that I don't do the right and real thing and that I don't deserve anything good in my life or that I haven't done enough to appreciate and being thankful for who and what I have in my life.

Until FINAL is out, who will know?
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

ArvisTaljik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:34 am

Personally, I just focus on the giant cyborg-robots and daikaiju battles since that's the coolest part of the series to me. My fascination has always been in mecha and monster designs so as long as those are present I can be happy.

Explosions and action galore! Yeah...so I pretty much stop watching RoE 3.0 at the point Zeruel eats Unit 00 since 00 is my favorite Eva (Aww no... Rei...) and say "well that was cool" and watch something else kaiju related.
peace: /piːs/
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 am

View Original PostArvisTaljik wrote:Explosions and action galore! Yeah...so I pretty much stop watching RoE 3.0 at the point Zeruel eats Unit 00 since 00 is my favorite Eva (Aww no... Rei...) and say "well that was cool" and watch something else kaiju related.

That's like stopping watching G84 when the Super X knocks out Godzilla, you miss the best part!
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 am

Watch FLCL if you haven't seen it already (or just re-watch it). It'll make you feel better.

The show is a comedy that makes fun of the mecha genre, including Evangelion, and has a very Shinji-like protagonist. It's very well-done and has a happy ending, too.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm

View Original PostShinji Ikari Expy wrote:Watch FLCL if you haven't seen it already (or just re-watch it). It'll make you feel better.

The show is a comedy that makes fun of the mecha genre, including Evangelion, and has a very Shinji-like protagonist. It's very well-done and has a happy ending, too.

I remember seeing that show. Been a while since I last watched it. Seems kinda...trippy there.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Very trippy - but then it's got that in common with parts of Eva.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”