Which languages do you speak?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

imprimatur13
Sachiel

Which languages do you speak?

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm kind of a hobbyist (read: terrible) linguist, and I was just wondering what languages you folks speak! We may have some real (read: not like me) polyglots here...

I speak fluent English, intermediate Ancient Hebrew/Aramaic (unfortunately somewhat decayed due to lack of use...), upper-beginner Japanese/Latin, and assorted bits of a bunch of others.
Last edited by imprimatur13 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Chapter 1

Gus Hanson
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Which languages do you speak?

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm fluent in English and Spanish and I know some bits of French and Japanese mostly due to watching foreign movies.
Gundam Wing is the N-Sync of mecha anime. - NemZ

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:10 am

Huh! Someone started this exact same thread at the QC forum yesterday... So this is what I wrote:

I speak only English. However, I can just about manage shopping and getting a room for the night in French and German. As I now have a Japanese daughter-in-law I am trying to start a Japanese course - but I doubt, with so little language-fu to build on and the ravages of age on my memory capacity, that I will reach a useful level with it (however interesting I may find what I do learn).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:30 am

Only English.

My Japanese is all over the place and I wouldn't know how to grade it, short of taking a proficiency test. Much better than nothing, but absolute garbage compared to being fluent.

Took a couple years each of German and Latin back in school. Know most of the Greek and Cyrillic alphabets.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

ErgoProxy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 am

Polish and some kind of Engrish. I was learning Russian when it was compulsory in schools and some basics of German, but sadly I forgot everything, besides Cyrillic. I would gladly learn Japanese though, but the writing system is convoluted enough to make me postpone this ordeal on and on.
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:My Japanese is all over the place and I wouldn't know how to grade it, short of taking a proficiency test. Much better than nothing, but absolute garbage compared to being fluent.

Have you taken courses, or are you self-taught?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Kaworu starts to prepare Shinji for dual-piloting (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 am

A combination of the two. My school only offered up to intermediate. All these years later I can't really say anything useful and my unassisted reading comprehension is probably that of a small child. Though I suppose I know enough about what I don't know that, under the right circumstances, it's possible I would "clean up nicely".
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 am

Just english for me.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Joseki
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:52 am

I speak two languages, italian and english. Languages that I understand without being a fluent speaker are french and spanish. I can read latin but I'm getting rusty and I can't speak it at all.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”