Subtitles for the dub?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pissman
Embryo

Subtitles for the dub?

•      
  •      

Postby pissman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi, new to the board. I was watching the dub and for some reason there are no translations for any Japanese characters on screen. So not only do the flashes of many words one after another for just a few frames being complete nonsense to me, scenes like when Shinji's class ask him if he's the pilot through the computer make no sense to me until I looked it up after.

Does anyone have any sub files (or however they work) for an MKV that translates just the characters on screen? Normal subs ruin it because the words are different from the dub speech which just confuses me. Thanks.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Subtitles for the dub?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Welcome to the forums.

What version of the release are you watching? I have the Platinum thinpack and I'm pretty sure they have an option to turn on translation of onscreen Japanese text while the dub is playing. It's pretty stupid that they would turn of forced narrative subtitles while the dub is playing.

Also, your username is worthy of a raised eyebrow.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pissman
Embryo

Re: Subtitles for the dub?

•      
  •      

Postby pissman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:05 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:What version of the release are you watching? I have the Platinum thinpack and I'm pretty sure they have an option to turn on translation of onscreen Japanese text while the dub is playing. It's pretty stupid that they would turn of forced narrative subtitles while the dub is playing.

Well now I feel like an idiot now. I checked and they did include a subtitle option with it. I checked through a couple of episodes and it seems to work perfectly.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Also, your username is worthy of a raised eyebrow.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”