Massive Object Lurking Beneath Antarctica

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

Massive Object Lurking Beneath Antarctica

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 am

I don't know how valid any of this is, but I couldn't help but thinking it was a joke in reference to Evangelion at first.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/29/massive-an ... p_0=372654

Scientists believe a massive object that could change our understanding of history is hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

The huge and mysterious “anomaly” is thought to be lurking beneath the frozen wastes of an area called Wilkes Land. The area is 151 miles across and has a minimum depth of about 2,700 feet.

Some researchers believe it is the remains of a truly massive asteroid more than twice the size of the Chicxulub space rock that wiped out the dinosaurs.

A massive "asteroid" found in Antarctica that could change our understanding of history? Sounded like too good of a match to be true, lol.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Massive Object Lurking Beneath Antarctica

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:42 am

I can see Giorgio A Tsoukalos being all over this news like a rash ^_^
SPOILER: Show

But being serious this might connect to the ancient history as there have also been huge tsunami's which killed thousands of people and might have fed in to there mythology's about the end of days all over the world so I'd be fascinated to see if there's any connection here or if it was the one that took out the dinosaurs.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 am

Personally I would be really excited if we found the remnants of a lost antediluvian civilization underneath the Antarctic ice caps.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally I would be really excited if we found the remnants of a lost antediluvian civilization underneath the Antarctic ice caps.

I've always wanted them to find things like that because from what I've heard there are some human cities that predate even the mayor ancient cultures and no one has ever been able to find out who these people are or even what there writing and symbolisms mean so I would love someone to find a connection via a lost city which might help them make sense of the other dig sites.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am

I'm kind of sad now because Antarctica is one of the few things on the planet Earth that hasnt been completely explored. It looks like with the discovery of this were coming to the end with that. . .

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm kind of sad now because Antarctica is one of the few things on the planet Earth that hasnt been completely explored. It looks like with the discovery of this were coming to the end with that. . .

They have yet to map the deep oceans fully so I think there are still wonders that might take decades to find but I agree as it is the end of people and exploring and discovering new things, which is really sad.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 pm

An Evangelion and a X-Files reference at the same time, that pleases my geek side more than it should. :lol:

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

W still have deepest oceans depths to investigare, as well as depths of earth. So we're not out of discoveries yet. I'm more worried that whatever is under antarctica, turns out to be something boring and mundane.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:15 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote: turns out to be something boring and mundane.

It might be something of great scientific importance but, unless you're already into this sort of stuff, the discovery will likely not send any big waves across the world.
Big discoveries are made all the time. Most people simply don't care. Or said discoveries are only broadcast inside the specialized group to which it matters the most.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there are deep sea intelligences that occasionally take a peek at the surface and decide to see if we mature in a couple thousand more years.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there are deep sea intelligences that occasionally take a peek at the surface and decide to see if we mature in a couple thousand more years.

James Cameron just got a boner.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:It might be something of great scientific importance but, unless you're already into this sort of stuff, the discovery will likely not send any big waves across the world.
Big discoveries are made all the time. Most people simply don't care. Or said discoveries are only broadcast inside the specialized group to which it matters the most.

It's probably for the best last thing you want to do is summon a Shuggoth by accident.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 pm

The world is in need of a history changing discovery. Make it up if you have to. This slice of life show I'm living is boring.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:An Evangelion and a X-Files reference at the same time, that pleases my geek side more than it should. :lol:

Same here. That's what I thought when I read the article too.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 pm

I need a hard-drinking helicopter pilot with a cowboy hat, fast.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:00 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:I need a hard-drinking helicopter pilot with a cowboy hat, fast.

SPOILER: Show
Oh you want this guy?

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:57 pm

You know, I'm offended that no one's mentioned Stargate yet. I mean, Antarctica was the location of the original gate, Atlantis' landing pad, and that massive drone repository that was used in the season 7 finale to kick Anubis' semi-ascended ass

Also, the video in the link is a good 13 minutes long, just an FYI.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:56 am

You sure it isn't an old Xbox?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”