Theory: How Rei/Lilith escapes Crucifixion. Plus, Kaworu's Plan.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Theory: How Rei/Lilith escapes Crucifixion. Plus, Kaworu's Plan.

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 am

I think I just realized something. When Kaworu came down to Terminal Dogma, intending to reunite with Adam (whom he thought to be crucified there), how did he intend to do it? He knew that the Angel down there was crucified by an LoL. (Otherwise, how would they be able to contain it?) Here's my theory:

In order for a SoL to be properly contained by an LoL, their soul must first be split. Or, the soul-splitting is a result of the Lance's penetration. The Lance can pierce ATFs, which are the barrier of the soul; so why shouldn't it be able to cut a soul in half? One case of soul-splitting an Angel's soul occurs at the same time as its suppression via LoL. Adam's soul was split at the time of 2I, when Kaworu was created. Not unlikely that Lilith's was split when she was crucified, too.

So, perhaps, when the soul's fragments are reunited, the LoL can be thrown off. And that this is what Kaworu was intending to do. This is also how Lilith was able to escape the Lance after reuniting with Rei.

What do you folks say?

(Cross-posting to reddit as well)

P.S. Perhaps, the Lance was reverse-engineered to an extent, and a much weaker version was produced, and was used to split Kyoko's soul?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Lyrical
Embryo

Re: Theory: How Rei/Lilith escapes Crucifixion. Plus, Kaworu's Plan.

•      
  •      

Postby Lyrical » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:05 am

Rei took the Spear out of Lilith to use on Arael, though - Lilith has been free of the Lance since episode 22 and Kaworu shows up in 24. (Note also that it wasn't stuck inside her until episode 14.) We know it was doing something related to Lilith's physical growth, but whether it was "only" holding her in stasis or also charging her up somehow ha been debated.

As for how they were keeping Lilith in check without the Spear: I'm tempted to say that it's because her soul is in Rei right now, therefore there's nothing in the body to actually put up a fight right now. But given that they apparently were able to sequester Lilith away and start growing Unit 01 out of its body without before Rei was born or Yui was absorbed, and that it apparently just sat inside the Black Moon doing nothing since it descended even without being stuck on a Spear, I'm honestly just tempted to say that Lilith was asleep or otherwise apathetic to its situation. I mean, once it did its job of setting the stage for life to be born, I could understand it letting itself fall into a sleep sate of sorts - it's not like it would have anything to really do for the next 4 billion years, and maybe it just isn't interested in/doesn't find fulfilment in living out a life among its children.

(Also, was Adam's soul split in 2I? It was separated from the body, but I've never seen it suggested that the soul was actually divided into multiple parts. I have definitely seen theories about the Spears being able to directly damage souls, but I'm not sure if Adam's the best example.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 am

I feel like you're creating a problem where none needs to exist. The Seeds and Spears were paired with each other from the start. The latter were designed to work on the former as they were created, no modifications required. This can be seen with Adam, who was backstabbed by her own Spear long before the show begins and put into suspended animation.

Lilith being skewered wouldn't have been an impediment to Kaworu or anyone else wanting to impact with her. Seele, recall, required the Spear in order to carry out HIP with her -- thus the Spear would have been facilitative rather than inhibitive to the process.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, ok then.

@Lyrical

I was under the impression that Lilith was still Speared during EoE. I completely forgot that Rei got rid of it :). That was my mistake. And, you're right, there is no evidence that Adam's soul was split at all. Kaworu could easily have all of Adam's soul within him (I just assumed, that since Rei only had a part, Kaworu must too. But that's not necessarily so).

@Reichu

Well, that leads me to my other problem. That is: Kaworu thought Adam was there. So, he reunites with him, right? Then, how does he expect to cause 3I? Does he have any idea where Lilith is? Is she even necessary? So many questions...
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm

If 2I could be caused using Adam and a Lilin donor (with no involvement from Lilith) then Kaworu should theoretically have no problems starting 3I once merged with his own body and active, even if he can't find Lilith.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Hmmm... I see. Good point, Sachi.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”