Disney to pull movies from Netflix, plans for future streaming service

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Disney to pull movies from Netflix, plans for future streaming service

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:16 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney- ... vices.html

Disney is cancelling it's deal with Netflix and is moving all of it's future tv shows to their exclusive service. Am I the only one here who finds this raises some serious red flags?

What about the Punisher series Netflix has in development? Is that gonna be moved to the New streaming service? What about the more explicit content that Netflix can get away with that other things under the Disney label can't?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeah, this kinda sucks because I watch everything on Netflix. I'm not sure how it'll affect their content though. Things released by Disney through Netflix are still associated with Disney. Are you implying Netflix is the primary reason shows like Daredevil are dark?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:57 pm

The worst case scenario is a situation similar to the cable TV in the US with every publisher having its own private stream and piracy skyrocketing again.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Not surprising. I always expected this would happen sooner or later. There's gold to be made in streaming & Disney loves nothing more than gold. Honestly, I expect by 2021 every major studio will have it's own streaming service where you HAVE to have a membership to watch their stuff. You want to watch those DC movies, Harry Potter spin-offs or Christophe Nolan projects? Ya'll better get that new WB Streaming. Etc, etc. It's going to be a major shakeup for all streaming services, not just Netflix. I'm honestly curious when/if studios will stop giving networks like HBO their products. Truthfully, as a collector of Blu-Rays my only concern is when the business will just get rid of physical media altogether and move everything to just streaming. It's already starting with Netflix saying no to physical releases of their Films getting made.

What's really gonna suck is all these streaming services are going to create Original Content as a way to entice viewers (they have to) so while it will have perks for me & other creatives professional (so many jobs) everyone might as well give up on the idea of ever being caught up on Pop Culture. YOU NEVER WILL BE.

Anyway, the article you linked specifically states the following: "Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain."

While Marvel falls under the Disney umbrella I'm sure the contract Netflix worked out with them will last for years. I'm sure at some point Disney will try to acquire them but that won't be for years. It'll all depend on how far out Netflix planned out those contracts. They probably planned for a while. So, relax. You'll get your badly plotted "Serious Marvel" shows for a long time.
Anything they've currently announced - Daredevil 3, Jessica Jones 2, Punisher Rebooted, Luke Cage 2, that other guy 2, and the soon-to-be-announced More Defenders - will be on Netflix.

Also, I'll call it right now: One of - if not THE - first pieces of Original Content on Disney Streaming will be a very costly live action Star Wars TV series. It'll probably be the first post Episode IX Star Wars project & won't be available anywhere but on their streaming service. I'd almost bet it will be their flagship release with the streaming service or will be on the service within the first six months.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 am

I can't imagine anyone giving up DVD and Blu-Ray sales that quickly. That would limit overall sales too much, at least it would right now. Do you have a source for Netflix ceasing Blu-ray production?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:28 am

No source. Just a trend I'm noticing.

Netflix still does release some of their series on disc - namely the still ongoing big early ones that started back in the halcyon days of 2013 like House of Cards, & Orange is the New Black and they've only recently started to put out disc for their Netflix collaborations - but few/if any of the titles they've released since the start of 2015 have seen a Bluray/DVD release. Maybe they're gonna adopt the policy of only releasing future series on disc once they're 100% finished &/or cancelled. If Sense8 gets a "Full Series" Disc release next year after the Final Episode is released that will give us a sign. But, I'm certainly positive they've never bothered with releasing any of their original films on physical media. Cary Fukunaga's Beasts of No Nation came out back in 2015 and there's been zero announcement regarding that film... one which was originally marked for a lot of Oscar attention before Netflix essentially buried it. Mind you I'm only talking US related, it might be very different overseas but I can't comment on that since I haven't been to Europe or East Asia in the past year. I'm already concerned there's a good chance Martin Scorsese's Netflix movie The Irishman could be his first movie I'll never own a physical copy of.

Who knows, I'm sure an account has done the math that when the cost of producing physical media is added with the lost revenue of that handful of people not paying for a monthly subscription adds up to "why even bother". I think keeping an eye on what happens to Bong Joon Ho's Okja is the best signifier of what Netflix intends to do with physical media. That (wonderful & sadly buried) movie is their largest current original production with a budget of $50 million. If anything from Netflix is going to get a physical release it would be that. But, I kinda doubt it will. Ever.

Pretty much whatever Netflix is the streaming trendsetter now so whatever they do most of the business will follow. Pretty sure unless they push it for a theatrical release Amazon doesn't disc their original content anymore.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:24 pm

I'd really appreciate if Netflix put out some Bojack blu rays with cast and crew commentary. Love to know more about that show!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:35 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The worst case scenario is a situation similar to the cable TV in the US with every publisher having its own private stream

Yeah, it does sound like it's just going to be cable TV packages all over again. There will be SO many steaming services that no one's going have fucking time to manage individual subscriptions, so there will be services that take care of all of that for you. You pick the package you want and pay a monthly fee to the aggregation service. You'll have a Roku or whatever instead of a cable box. Same old shit.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Disney to pull movies from Netflix, plans for future streaming service

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:47 pm

LOL.

Disney might go a step further than I thought and create separate Streaming services!

http://theplaylist.net/disney-may-launch-separate-star-wars-marvel-streaming-services-20170809/

Bob Iger, Disney CEO: “There’s been talk about launching a proprietary Marvel service and ‘Star Wars’ service,” Iger said. “But we’re mindful of the volume of product that would go into those services. And we want to be careful about that. We’ve also thought about including Marvel and ‘Star Wars’ as part of the Disney-branded service. But there we want to be mindful of the ‘Star Wars’ fan, the Marvel fan, and to what extent those fans either overlap with Disney fans or are completely separate and incremental to Disney. So it’s all in discussion.”

So what Iger is gracefully hinting at is there could be a chance that Disney Streaming would be things like Pixar, Disney Animation, TV shows & their library of classic films & animation. THEN there could exist a whole separate service dedicated solely to all things Marvel - a Marvel Streaming, complete with new shows & properties that don't fall under the currently set Netflix umbrella, + every pre-existing movie in the MCU to date. AND THEN there could be a wholly separate Star Wars Streaming which would include everything Star Wars + all the brandspanking new Star Wars streaming content they're obviously planning. Obviously they wouldn't want there to be one service because they want to be "mindful" towards the fans. Lol.

Frankly, I'm sick & tired of both Star Wars & Marvel so I'm perfectly fine with a corporation creating a simple barrier between me & their content cause I'll gladly ignore it for more original & rewarding entertainment. But you fans of both universes could very well get fucked over royally pretty soon.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Well look at that, Disney's found another way to bleed that stone dry. Although I doubt they'll stop selling DVDs/BluRays. Some consumers are so enthralled with some company's products, they'll literally buy the DVD/BluRay and then have the streaming service so they can watch it on their phones or tablets. Not dissimilar to buying a new iPhone cause it has an "S" added to it or whatever. We live in a heavily consumer central society where everyone buys stuff they don't use just cause they want it, or because everyone else has it and said consumer doesn't want to be left out.

I'm not surprised Disney didn't do it, I'm more surprised they didn't pull this particular trigger sooner. I'll bet they'll even roll up their Disney Channel and ESPN services to different streaming services as well just because they can.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Yeah, it does sound like it's just going to be cable TV packages all over again. There will be SO many steaming services that no one's going have fucking time to manage individual subscriptions, so there will be services that take care of all of that for you. You pick the package you want and pay a monthly fee to the aggregation service. You'll have a Roku or whatever instead of a cable box. Same old shit.

With cable TV piracy is, as far as I know, difficult and risky, I doubt that many people will use a service like that when they could simply Google "*show name* streaming hd" and see it for free.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Looks like Netflix isn't taking this lying down.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/11/netfl ... irc_recent

Netflix is still in active talks with Marvel over potentially retaining streaming rights to Marvel and Star Wars movies after 2019, which is the date Disney has set for when it’ll remove Disney and Pixar movies from the subscription service in favor of its own in-house Disney streaming offering.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Looks like Netflix isn't taking this lying down.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/11/netfl ... irc_recent

Well, they are subsidiaries, so they (Marvel & Lucasfilm) should be able to make thier own decisions, even if they report to Emperor MIckey.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 pm

One of the complaints I remember about cable was people having to buy a package with the cooking channel if they wanted the golf channel and vice versa and the cable companies replying to demands for al-la-carte service with a hearty fuck you being met with all kinds of a tizzy.

Disney knows they can charge a monthly $7 make the kids shut up for a few hours fee and parents will pay it.

Also I think you're all forgetting this is good. It is good if net neutrality serves Disney's ends. Disney being on board for neutrality would be just peachy. Assuming they don't cut a deal with Comcast and Verizon to oh god this is bad nevermind
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Chuckman wrote:Also I think you're all forgetting this is good. It is good if net neutrality serves Disney's ends. Disney being on board for neutrality would be just peachy. Assuming they don't cut a deal with Comcast and Verizon to oh god this is bad nevermind

I like that typed self-realization there that opens up a pandora's box of online streaming services.

Although your point on parents paying to shut kids up is totally on point, so they see the mucho dinero in that opportunity. And if cable pulled their heads out of thier asses, they'd realize they'd have more subscribers if they if they switched to an a la carte type situation, where people will be happy for thier service and have just the channels they want, rather than the shit they don't.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:23 pm

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-marvel- ... p-netflix/

It's happening..

Screw you Mickey Mouse.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:36 pm

As a Star Wars fan that owns copies of all the content except for The Clone Wars series (which I currently have access to with Netflix), the one and only thing that will get me to buy the new service is exclusive content. If they begin hosting a new Star Wars series, I will be all over it. Short of that however, I might as well finally buy myself TCW and have all the content that way.

It would also seem that short of Bojack Horseman, Netflix is going to be lacking in appealing exclusive content. Hell. Y'all are mad, but this might be the excuse I need to finally cancel my Netflix subscription.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm

They're going to be making their first exclusive animated feature film soon. It's going to be an R-rated, subversive take on the founding of America, with Channing Tatum voicing George Washington.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Sachi wrote:It would also seem that short of Bojack Horseman, Netflix is going to be lacking in appealing exclusive content. Hell. Y'all are mad, but this might be the excuse I need to finally cancel my Netflix subscription.

Well, as long as Netflix doesn't pull FX (Sons of Anarchy, Archer), CBS (All Star Trek, Hawaii Five-0), their Canadian and Australian shows, and keep up thier current series, I doubt I'll be cancelling my subscription any time soon. Although I was disappointed that Marco Polo was cancelled.

Although, in the grand scheme, it would have been stupid if Disney didn't have Star Wars and Marvel follow suit with the rest of thier content. While all the Disney channel stuff will draw in the kids and adolescents, Star Wars and Marvel will give the adults something to watch as well. But I highly doubt Disney will have streaming specific content, but they may stop selling DVDs to facilitate people switching to streaming only.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:They're going to be making their first exclusive animated feature film soon. It's going to be an R-rated, subversive take on the founding of America, with Channing Tatum voicing George Washington.

Please tell me this is real
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”