[MANGA] [NGE] Confused about logos on the spine

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
borolv
Embryo

[MANGA] [NGE] Confused about logos on the spine

•      
  •      

Postby borolv » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Hey. So I live in Russia, and since Evangelion manga wasn't licensed here (yet) I was looking into buying some Evangelion volumes, the separate ones, not the 3-in-1 editions, for my collection, if I may call it that way. But I was confused when I saw, that sometimes there can be different logos on the spine, an "action" one and the one with a big "V"(stands for Viz I guess).
What's the deal here? Since the latter ones are always with the V logo, my guess is that they put it on the newer prints of the old volumes? If so, is there any way of differentiating between those? Especially when buying online, having only the stock image. I really wanted them to look nicely on the shelf, not like on the first pic. I hope you understand.
Thanks and sorry for weird English i guess.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: [MANGA] [NGE] Confused about logos on the spine

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 pm

I actually think you're right, that those ARE the newer prints of the old volumes. The reason I say that, is that if you look at the second picture, the name "khara" only appears on the later volumes. In the first picture, however, it appears on the first few as well. This is because the company khara (IIRC) only got the rights relatively recently.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 am

View Original Postborolv wrote:What's the deal here?

The guy on the planet with the ring is the older format, and the V is the newer format. Some of the older volumes were reissued with the V.

They "V" design was introduced with volume 10. If you have volume 1-9 with the V, then it's a later printing.

borolv
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby borolv » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks. I guess I can only hope that nowadays mostly new prints are sold. Doesn't hurt to try

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 am

You'll note that even the V volumes may have khara or not, and may have khara or Gainax first. The chances of getting complete uniformity are pretty low!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Just, btw, there're 14 volumes in manga. And, vol.14 of one pic seems to be in JP.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:21 pm

That stand came as the special item with the 14th Japanese volume. The Viz volumes are slightly thicker, so only 13 of the English volumes fit in it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:21 pm

What is it with manga localizers who can't seem to grasp the basic concept that actual human beings buy the manga and display them on shelves? Fuck aesthetic uniformity -- just GOTTA change the icons for no discernible reason!

At least with the Eva volumes, it's nowhere near as bad as it is with Berserk, where the visual elements not only change but vertically shift around. :cringe:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

borolv
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby borolv » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:38 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:volumes may have khara or not, and may have khara or Gainax first

I don't think it is that relevant, but it is certainly upsetting. Still the main problem for me is the upper logos.

I find it funny that there are some pirate Eva volumes (4 so far) printed somewhere in Ukraine, and they have far better covers, that the English ones do. Even the logo is stylized. Still those are just printed scanlates, so sometimes the actual picture quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”