"New Unit 02"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Stillborn
Banned

Re: First official image of "New Unit 2"

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:09 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Maybe Misato will chose to let Shinji in Eva 01 turning off the Wunder and putting all her faits in him. The rest of the crew will be shocked by this decision but she's the woman in charge and that would the typical almost-suicidal decision by Misato.

LOL. No. She already did that previously and it led to Q. No way she would do that again with such stakes. Relying on a kid to save the world is like relying on Godzilla to actually save the day. May work anywhere beside Annoverse.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Eva-01 never forcibly ejects the dummy plug in the original, so that act makes up for lack of moving hand in its way. Shielding Shinji is also, recall, a hint about the Eva's true nature. With episode 16's train and episode 20's flashbacks condensed into the post-berserk "Ayanami" scene, could simply be that Anno removed the falling lights to streamline.

And especially with Eva-01 being by all indications a converted Adam, something that was once a fully autonomous being, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:LOL. No. She already did that previously and it led to Q. No way she would do that again with such stakes. Relying on a kid to save the world is like relying on Godzilla to actually save the day. May work anywhere beside Annoverse.

She's already relying on two 14 years old girls, adding a third it's not much different, especially when you have nothing left to lose (Shinji is going to be inside Unit 01 when everything is at stake, one way or the other).

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I really hope Eva-08 doesn't get cannibalized for parts. It was barely damaged at the end of 3.0, and it would be WAY easier to get 08 up and running again than to rip 08 apart to get 02 up and running again. 08 is a really cute unit (reminds me of a cockatoo) and a nice addition to the line-up. I want to see more of it!

Seeing how fucked up Unit 02 was at the end of 3.33, I'm inclined to think that New Unit 02 is a fresh new Eva built or equipped in the image of Unit 02 so we have a full trio of updated OG Eva doppelgangers with 09 and 13. ...Unless Wille happens to have another 00 look-alike in storage that Rei Q can pilot. :chinscratch:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I would find this likely if not for them purposefully showing 02's remains at the end of Q. It would have been perfectly logical for 02 to have vaporized more or less completely. Only reason to defy this is if they're going to salvage the scraps.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:19 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:She's already relying on two 14 years old girls, adding a third it's not much different, especially when you have nothing left to lose (Shinji is going to be inside Unit 01 when everything is at stake, one way or the other).

I think Shinji will kick and scream and claw and run like hell before he's forced to pilot an Eva again.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:She's already relying on two 14 years old girls,

Um, they're 28, in spite of their appearances.

(Well Asuka is - we don't know Mari's age.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:25 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:She's already relying on two 14 years old girls, adding a third it's not much different, especially when you have nothing left to lose (Shinji is going to be inside Unit 01 when everything is at stake, one way or the other).

She's relying on two 28 years old pilots who just happened to be growth stunted, with over a decade of combat experience and who can follow orders.

Shinji on other hand is a designated fail kid, that gets too emotional and attached. Can't follow orders and fucked up world twice when he got into Eva. If he gets into Eva 01 it will be without Misato's permission. As a Commander, she can't allow emotional brat anywhere near world destroing weapon when he proved he can't be trusted with it. Twice. Not when so many people rely on her. She may have insane plans, but letting Shinji into Eva at this point would be just plain stupid from tactical point of view.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Neither Asuka nor Mari looks or act differently than a 14 years old would, especially Asuka.
The fact that they are equivalent to a normal 28 years old human lacks any proof due to concept of "the curse of Eva" and their lack of new/different maturity.

I'm pretty sure that if Anno wanted them to be different he would have made her with a different look like he did with Misato.
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:03 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:She's relying on two 28 years old pilots who just happened to be growth stunted, with over a decade of combat experience and who can follow orders.

Shinji on other hand is a designated fail kid, that gets too emotional and attached. Can't follow orders and fucked up world twice when he got into Eva. If he gets into Eva 01 it will be without Misato's permission. As a Commander, she can't allow emotional brat anywhere near world destroing weapon when he proved he can't be trusted with it. Twice. Not when so many people rely on her. She may have insane plans, but letting Shinji into Eva at this point would be just plain stupid from tactical point of view.

People relied on them when she had to deal with Shinji at the start of Q and she didn't convince him to stay and she also didn't have strength to pull the trigger.

But I'm pretty sure that the point is that everyone hates Shinji, he's despicable and no one will ever give him anything remotely positive until the heat death of the universe.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Asuka displays a huge growth of maturity between 2.22 and 3.33. She goes from being unable to work in a team at all, to working efficiently together with Mari. She recognizes that her feelings for Shinji are secondary to saving the world as well, evidenced by her line to Shinji about not having the time in the world to worry about such things. While Shinji is still struggling to find his purpose, Asuka has lost the luxury to do so, and is forced to become the battle-hardened, objective-oriented soldier we see in Q.

Claiming there's no proof that they're equivalent to 28 year olds ignores the extra fourteen years of experience they have. Even if they're hormonally stuck in 14 year old bodies, they've lived twice that long. They certainly haven't been allowed to perpetually live a 14 year old's lifestyle either, instead being forced to live on the front lines of a war. They were forced to grow up.

Shinji on the other hand, is unquestionably stuck in his teenage mentality. Those fourteen years might as well have been instantaneous for him. He's still trying to use Eva to define himself, while everybody else has grown up and is fighting for a greater cause against Nerv and Seele.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

I think the future of unit-2/8 lies in whether the repairs to Unit-2 during the 14 years was done for practicality or lack of tech. Judging by Unit-5, evas can be heavily modified with just purely robotic components for their limbs, so if Unit-2s left arm and right side of the face were made robotic to make it more versatile that'd be one thing. But if it was because Wllie didn't have access to the tech that'd allow the regrowth of the biological component like NERV did, then that would change things.

Willie having the ability to regrow the biological component would make the repairs create one brand new eva and fix the other. However, them not having that capability would open up certain possibilities from the frankeneva of the preview to Unit-8 with 2 robotic arms and Unit-2 similar to Unit-5 with the biological element being just the head and torso. Personally i'm a fan of them not being able to repair the biological elements, it'd make the losses from N4i that much more impactful. Plus that would bring Unit-1 into consideration again, after all they got Shinji back and if that ins't an option initially there's the possibility of ReiQ being able to pilot it for a bit.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Asuka displays a huge growth of maturity between 2.22 and 3.33. She goes from being unable to work in a team at all, to working efficiently together with Mari. She recognizes that her feelings for Shinji are secondary to saving the world as well, evidenced by her line to Shinji about not having the time in the world to worry about such things. While Shinji is still struggling to find his purpose, Asuka has lost the luxury to do so, and is forced to become the battle-hardened, objective-oriented soldier we see in Q.

Asuka's struggle with teamwork was already overcome back in 2.0, she realized that alone couldn't do anything and later admitted that she was fine with her new company in Japan.

Her line about about not having time for such thing is contradicted by her behavior.
No one cares about a single being because there are more important matters, right? Then why she goes there to see him right after the mission?
Without even considering Mari's teasing, and I doubt is there for the lulz, Asuka's own explanation shows a certain degree of immaturity and lack of self control typical of a teenager, she simply wanted to go there and throw a punch at him.
Misato in 1.0 had Asuka's supposed age in Q and she too wanted to slap Shinji, but she didn't because she was an adult.

Q Asuka is either the most immature and childish adult (neko hats...) in Evangelion or is simply a traumatized child soldier.

By the way her teamwork with Mari is straight up terrible: in NGE Asuka and Shinji had an entire episode dedicated to them learning how to be synchronized on the battlefield, the other pair of pilots in the movie too had a similar moment in the form of piano duets.
The two girls on the other hand spend half of their time on screen arguing about who was out of tempo.

I agree on Shinji, the poor kid the day before was in another world and now has no place to call home, 3.0+1.0 is going to be a hard and emotional journey for him, but he's going to be rewarded.

(We are terribly off topic, aren't we?)
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Asuka displays a huge growth of maturity between 2.22 and 3.33. She goes from being unable to work in a team at all, to working efficiently together with Mari. She recognizes that her feelings for Shinji are secondary to saving the world as well, evidenced by her line to Shinji about not having the time in the world to worry about such things. While Shinji is still struggling to find his purpose, Asuka has lost the luxury to do so, and is forced to become the battle-hardened, objective-oriented soldier we see in Q.

Claiming there's no proof that they're equivalent to 28 year olds ignores the extra fourteen years of experience they have. Even if they're hormonally stuck in 14 year old bodies, they've lived twice that long. They certainly haven't been allowed to perpetually live a 14 year old's lifestyle either, instead being forced to live on the front lines of a war. They were forced to grow up.

Shinji on the other hand, is unquestionably stuck in his teenage mentality. Those fourteen years might as well have been instantaneous for him. He's still trying to use Eva to define himself, while everybody else has grown up and is fighting for a greater cause against Nerv and Seele.

Asuka's maturity has grown indeed, but only to an extend, I reckon she was the only one who had the violent reaction to break that glass in front of him in the Wunder, and during the battle in Dogma she was so embroiled in her anger that she didn't bothered to even try to explain to Shinji why he should stop piloting right now.

As for Shinji, well those fourteen have been instantaneous for him, so he's still the boy that thinks that the fight is against the Angels and tries to define himself piloting or not the Eva (because let's be honest, up until now his life was about piloting the Eva, hell it's implied that his life before being called to Tokyo-3 was already crafted with him piloting the Eva in mind!) that's what makes him such a good pawn for Gendo.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm

I can't say for certain whether it truly was instantaneous for him, hence the vague language. The last bit of reality he clings to was saving Rei, but that's just what he remembers. For all we know, he may have been in a weird semi-conscious dream state, and therefore experienced some passage of time. It doesn't mean much, I know. Just why I'm hesitant to say it was instantaneous for sure
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 pm

^ Plus i'd say experience =/= maturity, as those do not always correlate. Sure in some aspects Asuka does act more mature than she did during most of 2.0 but in others she is the same if not a bit worse. If Asuka has spent those 14 years being the soldier and eva pilot she is in 3.0, is she an emotionally stable adult stuck in a child body? or a child soldier forced into that role by external circumstances that'd lead to some stunted emotional growth? I think it's somewhere in between, she's more mature but certainly not 28-year old stable mature adult.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Mmkay. I'm sorry for my part in derailing the topic. Let's try to keep the speculation to Unit-02's role in the next movie, as well as surrounding topics like Unit-08.
- Sachi

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm

A nice fanart based on the new design

SPOILER: Show

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

It's terrifying, Asuka will love it.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:It's terrifying, Asuka will love it.

and Shinji's drawers will be filled with terror, along with a little bit of pee.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”