My Discord chat-log

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

imprimatur13
Shamshel
Shamshel

My Discord chat-log

Postby imprimatur13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:01 pm

First: I apologize if this shouldn't be here, but I thought some folks might enjoy it. Names have been changed to protect the... people whose names have been changed. Enjoy!

This man is our Leader, and the avatar of the Second Coming.
(pic of Anno, saying "My apartment was on fire, and I didn't wake up")
Listen to his wisdom.
Hideaki Anno,
Or,
*** - Today at 6:13 PM
we have an evangelion mormon?
imprimatur - Today at 6:13 PM
as he was known in grade school,
Jesus.
Evangelion mormon?
What is that?
*** - Today at 6:14 PM
you spread your evangelion religion to people, most of whom don't want to lisen to your religion
i'm not one so continue
Good-person - Today at 6:14 PM
I already like him
just from that pic
*** - Today at 6:14 PM
preach me the words of anno
Imprimatur - Today at 6:15 PM
First: Thou shalt become a protege of Hayao Miyazaki
And Thou shalt make an anime that resembles anything Ghibli did like an orange resembles a zebra.
*** - Today at 6:16 PM
interesting, please do continue for the next 10 hours while i will definetly stay and lisen to the gospels of evangelion
Imprimatur - Today at 6:17 PM
Sarcasm? No matter.
Second: Thou shalt have no other anime before Eva.
*** - Today at 6:17 PM
NOOOOOOOO
Yes.
*** - Today at 6:17 PM
already had like 300 so
Good-person -
(pic of displeased Shinji holding coffee mug)
He is displeased.
Third
Good-person - Today at 6:17 PM
I like this guy
*** - Today at 6:18 PM
i broke the second thing
how fix
imprimatur - Today at 6:18 PM
Thou shalt not watch anything that is an obvious eva clone, like Gundam.
Fourth
*** - Today at 6:18 PM
BUT HOW FIX THE SECOND
imprimatur - Today at 6:18 PM
Thou shalt not take the name of Shinji in vain.
And there is no way to fix the second.
You are banished.
Good-person who is tired - Today at 6:19 PM
too much eva for today, I'll go sleep
imprimatur - Today at 6:19 PM
Forever forced to watch Mermaid Melody fandubs!
*** - Today at 6:19 PM
then fuck Shinji and eva and you crazy eva mormon
Good-person who is tired - Today at 6:19 PM
:GoodNight:
Shinji
Shinji
G'night, Good-person!
wachu gonna do about it, weak, puny eva fan?
Spoil the show?
Best-person - Today at 6:20 PM
I'm weird, I might just straight up watch eva tomorrow:akkoShrug:
*** - Today at 6:20 PM
do it PLEASE
more reason to never watch it then
imprimatur - Today at 6:20 PM
No, I'm not that evil.
*** - Today at 6:20 PM
ha
puny
and weak, just like the mc.... and the plot
imprimatur - Today at 6:21 PM
I have a feeling you'd get along quite well with
(pic of Asuka Sohryu Langley)
*** - Today at 6:22 PM
fuck that un developed tsundere
and that other one with simmilar carateristics but diffrent hair
imprimatur - Today at 6:22 PM
You mean Rei?
*** - Today at 6:22 PM
how should i know the names of lesser caracters
imprimatur - Today at 6:22 PM
True.
Doesn't get lesser than Rei.

This went on for a little while. I loved every minute of it.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

imprimatur13
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: My Discord chat-log

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Another Eva-related rant of mine on Discord:

Spoilers for Code Geass  SPOILER: Show
Eva is the best of all. It is not the "new", "old", or "current" Clannad. Eva is to anime what the Godfather is to american cinema. It is so much better as to be the perfect example of its medium. All other anime WISH they were Eva. EVANGELION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
someone else wrote:Spice and Wolf just wanted to be Spice and Wolf

Actually, Spice and Wolf wants to be Geass. It has Lawrence (Lulu's VA) driving a cart, and Holo (Kallen) in the backseat. It endorses official Lulu/Kallen OTP.

And, since Geass was trying to be Eva (Geass has red eyes, Rei has red eyes; CC is a Rei expy; Charles' Instrumentality plot; Anya being Lulu's mother in addition to being a Rei expy; the list goes on), and Spice and Wolf wants to be Geass, then by the transitive property, Spice and Wolf ALSO wants to be Eva.

QED.
/rant
/ s(edited)
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:02 am

:rei_meh:

Okay.

imprimatur13
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Another post, this time about phalli + Freud re: TTGL/Gainax (tl;dr I got in an argument with a guy who said that the drills in Gurren Lagann do NOT represent penises. Or so I thought. Enjoy!!!)

Part 1  SPOILER: Show
2:24 PM] Cardemonde: Rewatching TTGL... so many penises.
[2:42 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Wait what
[2:44 PM] highbanana: :InquisitiveCornPop:
[2:48 PM] Cardemonde: Gurren Lagann.
[2:48 PM] Cardemonde: (this is where you're supposed to say "Ohhh...")
[2:50 PM] highbanana: I know what TTGL is lol
[2:50 PM] highbanana: I assume you mean all the drills?
[2:51 PM] highbanana: :pierce:
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: So many drills...
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: And they get inserted into things.
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: And Kamina...
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: And I thought Eva had penises... TTGL is on a whole different level.
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: (Kill La Kill has... 'other genitalia', if you get my drift. More subtle, but it shows up if you look.
O' course, Eva had both. And so much more...)(edited)
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: Gainax is weird.
[2:57 PM] Zoro: :GWcfcThonk:
[3:19 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's so vulgar to associate all the drills with phalluses
[3:19 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Reminder: Freud was a pseudoscientific fraud and his ideas have no grounding in reality
[3:20 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Speaking of vulgarity has anyone here watched Seikon No Qwaser?
[3:21 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Oh god
[3:21 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: No but I know what it is
[3:22 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The premise is so ridiculous that I can't help but be curious
[3:23 PM] highbanana: Eh, Freud has been widely discredited, but I think the phallic imagery in TTGL is uhh... pretty blatant at times
[3:24 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Y'all are just pervs :eggplant:
[3:25 PM] Cardemonde: It's true, @Alfred_Bellamy ... It is literally impossible to not associate the drills with penises. Literally. Like, you'd have to have never seen or heard of one, to not make the association.
[3:25 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: When the drills are explicitly put in front of someone's crotch, sure
[3:26 PM] Cardemonde: Which they are.
[3:26 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: :OhgiDisgust:
[3:26 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things
[3:27 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Freud and postmodernists go with the low level
[3:27 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's just a prejudice masked as rationality
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde: First:
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde: wait...
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I get that there are jokes @Cardemonde
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I've seen the show
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde:
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I'm just saying that they're within the show, they're not ultimately what the show is about
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: VERY arguable.
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: Consider Naota's head-penis from FLCL.
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: There is a pattern here.
[3:29 PM] highbanana: TTGL has a pretty heavy focus on "manliness."
[3:29 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Never seen FLCL
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: TTGL (and arguably KLK) use some of hte most timeless story structures and themes in human history
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: IT strikes me as obtuse to cast those shows as the kind of cultural offspring of a pervert from a century ago
[3:30 PM] Cardemonde: I'm not saying Freud's right, I'm saying that denying freudian influence on Gainax shows is just ridiculous.
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: and ideas of that type
[3:31 PM] Cardemonde: Especially considering Evangelion was EXPLICITLY influenced by Freud. (Oral stage, so many of the soundtrack titles... it's ridiculous.)(edited)
[3:31 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Sure, they have aesthetic references in some places
[3:31 PM] highbanana: >I'm not saying Freud's right, I'm saying that denying freudian influence on Gainax shows is just ridiculous.

100% this. The phallic imagery is blatantly intentional.
[3:32 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Haven't denied
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: Oh.
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: Ok then.
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: So, what were we arguing about?
[3:33 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: EVA seems really fucked up o.O
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: Yeah... yeah.
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: It is :).

Part 2  SPOILER: Show
[3:33 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things
Freud and postmodernists go with the low level
It's just a prejudice masked as rationality
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: I read that.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Not to "psychoanalyze" the show and see it in that lens
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Objects within it, sure
[3:34 PM] Cardemonde: There's no reason you can't see it both ways.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Yes, there is.
[3:34 PM] Cardemonde: They're not mutually exclusive.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Yes, they are.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The traditional and psychoanalytic approaches to stories are opposite understandings of meaning and motivation
[3:35 PM] highbanana:
> There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things

This makes sense when talking about subconscious influences on art, but when Gainax is clearly including intentional phallic imagery, why would I try to interpet it any other way?
[3:35 PM] Cardemonde: ^
[3:38 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Because there's a difference in a gag and a worldview
[3:39 PM] highbanana: It's not just a gag in TTGL though. Like I said, the whole thing is basically about "manliness."
[3:39 PM] Cardemonde: Oh, @highbanana , @Alfred_Bellamy , @Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley :
Mind if I share this exchange with some people? I ask, 'cause I don't want to have to go through the trouble of manually changing everyone's names...
[3:39 PM] highbanana: no objections :smile:
[3:39 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Just in a casual setting, sure
[3:40 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: "Manliness" does not belong to the domain of psychoanalysis @highbanana
[3:40 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: This conversation is frustrating because all of you are equating everything with everything else
[3:40 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Sure
[3:41 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Saying that "manliness" is a major theme would make it less , not more likely, to have a psychoanalytic/modern message
[3:41 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: /structure
[3:41 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Wait why
[3:42 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Was asking alfred why
[3:43 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: I'm fine wuth my name being show
[3:43 PM] Cardemonde: Ok, here's the thing, Alfred.
[3:43 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Why what @Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley ?
[3:44 PM] Cardemonde: Gainax has been 'perverted' (if you want to call it that) by Freud's influence at least since Eva was made. Combine that with all the penises everywhere, and the 'manliness' theme... really kinda inescapable.

Part 3  SPOILER: Show
[3:44 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Why would masculinity being a theme make it less likely to have a psycho analytic message
[3:45 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Because psychoanalysis is critical and reductionistic towards those things
[3:45 PM] Cardemonde: Is it? As I understand it, psychoanalysis takes the phallic symbol and extends it to cover pretty much everything, in a really 'cosmic' way.
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: In the traditional worldview, masculinity was a meaningful, objective truth that drove every aspect of a man's being; in psychoanalysis, it's neuroses and drives related to your urge to fuck your parents and other disgusting things like htat
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The phallus is a body part. IT doesn't belong to psychoanalysis
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Many polytheistic socieites have cock sculptures all over the place
[3:46 PM] Cardemonde: But here, the phallus is used as a symbol of masculinity.
[3:47 PM] Cardemonde: Just like those polytheistic societies did.
[3:47 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Of course it is, it's literally comorbid with being a man :LelouchFacepalm:
[3:47 PM] Cardemonde: Just because they use the symbol, doesn't mean they're going the eva route with all the oedipal stuff.
[3:48 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: If you support the idea that psychoanalytic ideas are present, then you're going to have to take your oedipal content with that.
[3:50 PM] Cardemonde: Do you? Modern psychoanalysis has pretty much thrown out the oedipus complex, but they still use SOME freudian ideas. It's not all or nothing. If it were, psychoanalysis couldn't exist at all, because it's a freudian invention in the first place.
[3:50 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's a coherent system of thoughts. If you take pieces out, it makes less sense.
[3:51 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: If you have psychoanalysis without the oedipal stuff, to the extent that you have something that makes sense remaining, you're left with endless reductionistic logic about "drives" and "urges"
[3:52 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: That is still in radical opposition to the traditional worldview, which views a meaningful whole rather than materialistic pieces
[3:53 PM] highbanana: I'm not really sure what the argument is here. Pretty much all we said is that there's a lot of phallic imagery in TTGL, which you seem to agree with :InquisitiveCornPop:

Part 4  SPOILER: Show
[3:53 PM] Cardemonde: Ummm... "drives" and "urges" are very real things. People's actions actually ARE motivated by them. Psychotherapy works for a reason. Even without the therapist telling you you want to kill your father.

Certainly, modern screenwriting texts (like "Story" by Rob McKee) use drives and urges to explain character's motivation.
[3:53 PM] Cardemonde: And yes.
[3:54 PM] Cardemonde: @highbanana is correct... I'm getting off-track :).
[3:54 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: @Cardemonde said
"So many drills...
And they get inserted into things.
And Kamina...
And I thought Eva had penises... TTGL is on a whole different level."
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Do you really think every instance of a drill is a phallic reference?
[3:55 PM] Cardemonde: In Gurren Lagann? Yes. In other media, no.
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: (Not that I concede everything you just said, but most of it is drifting into other topics)
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: That strikes me as silly
[3:56 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The "drill" is a metaphor for the narrative structure of the show: A small part that grows as it progresses, like Simon
[3:56 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: This is said explicitly in either the last episode or second to last
[3:58 PM] highbanana: The drill has more than one meaning as a symbol in TTGL tbh. What you said is absolutely true, but they definitely had the other connotation in mind as well when they chose a drill as a central weapon/theme of the series.
[3:59 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The drill is the only tool shaped in an appropriate way for that metaphor to work
[4:01 PM] highbanana: Considering Gainax's uhhh... history, I would lean toward the phallic interpretation being their primary consideration in choosing a drill. It does work quite well as a metaphor for the narrative structure of the show, but I tend to think that interpretation was a secondary consideration on their part. But who knows :RyuukoShrug:
[4:02 PM] Cardemonde: I am so happy I started this conversation :LloydHappy:
[4:02 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: It's a legit discussion :eyes:
[4:03 PM] Cardemonde: No, I know. That's why I'm happy.
[4:03 PM] Cardemonde: I love those :).

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm

It's alright to stop posting these.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:13 pm

There's no need to be an ass about it, essel. If you have issues about existing threads, bring it up with the staff directly.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

ran1
Donor
Donor

Postby ran1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:Another post, this time about phalli + Freud re: TTGL/Gainax (tl;dr I got in an argument with a guy who said that the drills in Gurren Lagann do NOT represent penises. Or so I thought. Enjoy!!!)

Part 1  SPOILER: Show
2:24 PM] Cardemonde: Rewatching TTGL... so many penises.
[2:42 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Wait what
[2:44 PM] highbanana: :InquisitiveCornPop:
[2:48 PM] Cardemonde: Gurren Lagann.
[2:48 PM] Cardemonde: (this is where you're supposed to say "Ohhh...")
[2:50 PM] highbanana: I know what TTGL is lol
[2:50 PM] highbanana: I assume you mean all the drills?
[2:51 PM] highbanana: :pierce:
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: So many drills...
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: And they get inserted into things.
[2:52 PM] Cardemonde: And Kamina...
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: And I thought Eva had penises... TTGL is on a whole different level.
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: (Kill La Kill has... 'other genitalia', if you get my drift. More subtle, but it shows up if you look.
O' course, Eva had both. And so much more...)(edited)
[2:53 PM] Cardemonde: Gainax is weird.
[2:57 PM] Zoro: :GWcfcThonk:
[3:19 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's so vulgar to associate all the drills with phalluses
[3:19 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Reminder: Freud was a pseudoscientific fraud and his ideas have no grounding in reality
[3:20 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Speaking of vulgarity has anyone here watched Seikon No Qwaser?
[3:21 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Oh god
[3:21 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: No but I know what it is
[3:22 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The premise is so ridiculous that I can't help but be curious
[3:23 PM] highbanana: Eh, Freud has been widely discredited, but I think the phallic imagery in TTGL is uhh... pretty blatant at times
[3:24 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Y'all are just pervs :eggplant:
[3:25 PM] Cardemonde: It's true, @Alfred_Bellamy ... It is literally impossible to not associate the drills with penises. Literally. Like, you'd have to have never seen or heard of one, to not make the association.
[3:25 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: When the drills are explicitly put in front of someone's crotch, sure
[3:26 PM] Cardemonde: Which they are.
[3:26 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: :OhgiDisgust:
[3:26 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things
[3:27 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Freud and postmodernists go with the low level
[3:27 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's just a prejudice masked as rationality
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde: First:
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde: wait...
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I get that there are jokes @Cardemonde
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I've seen the show
[3:28 PM] Cardemonde:
[3:28 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: I'm just saying that they're within the show, they're not ultimately what the show is about
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: VERY arguable.
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: Consider Naota's head-penis from FLCL.
[3:29 PM] Cardemonde: There is a pattern here.
[3:29 PM] highbanana: TTGL has a pretty heavy focus on "manliness."
[3:29 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Never seen FLCL
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: TTGL (and arguably KLK) use some of hte most timeless story structures and themes in human history
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: IT strikes me as obtuse to cast those shows as the kind of cultural offspring of a pervert from a century ago
[3:30 PM] Cardemonde: I'm not saying Freud's right, I'm saying that denying freudian influence on Gainax shows is just ridiculous.
[3:30 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: and ideas of that type
[3:31 PM] Cardemonde: Especially considering Evangelion was EXPLICITLY influenced by Freud. (Oral stage, so many of the soundtrack titles... it's ridiculous.)(edited)
[3:31 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Sure, they have aesthetic references in some places
[3:31 PM] highbanana: >I'm not saying Freud's right, I'm saying that denying freudian influence on Gainax shows is just ridiculous.

100% this. The phallic imagery is blatantly intentional.
[3:32 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Haven't denied
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: Oh.
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: Ok then.
[3:32 PM] Cardemonde: So, what were we arguing about?
[3:33 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: EVA seems really fucked up o.O
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: Yeah... yeah.
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: It is :).

Part 2  SPOILER: Show
[3:33 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things
[3:33 PM] Cardemonde: I read that.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Not to "psychoanalyze" the show and see it in that lens
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Objects within it, sure
[3:34 PM] Cardemonde: There's no reason you can't see it both ways.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Yes, there is.
[3:34 PM] Cardemonde: They're not mutually exclusive.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Yes, they are.
[3:34 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The traditional and psychoanalytic approaches to stories are opposite understandings of meaning and motivation
[3:35 PM] highbanana:
> There are two broad philosophical orientations: Towards understanding things as expressions of the highest or expressions of hte lowest levels of things

This makes sense when talking about subconscious influences on art, but when Gainax is clearly including intentional phallic imagery, why would I try to interpet it any other way?
[3:35 PM] Cardemonde: ^
[3:38 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Because there's a difference in a gag and a worldview
[3:39 PM] highbanana: It's not just a gag in TTGL though. Like I said, the whole thing is basically about "manliness."
[3:39 PM] Cardemonde: Oh, @highbanana , @Alfred_Bellamy , @Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley :
Mind if I share this exchange with some people? I ask, 'cause I don't want to have to go through the trouble of manually changing everyone's names...
[3:39 PM] highbanana: no objections :smile:
[3:39 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Just in a casual setting, sure
[3:40 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: "Manliness" does not belong to the domain of psychoanalysis @highbanana
[3:40 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: This conversation is frustrating because all of you are equating everything with everything else
[3:40 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Sure
[3:41 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Saying that "manliness" is a major theme would make it less , not more likely, to have a psychoanalytic/modern message
[3:41 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: /structure
[3:41 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Wait why
[3:42 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Was asking alfred why
[3:43 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: I'm fine wuth my name being show
[3:43 PM] Cardemonde: Ok, here's the thing, Alfred.
[3:43 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Why what @Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley ?
[3:44 PM] Cardemonde: Gainax has been 'perverted' (if you want to call it that) by Freud's influence at least since Eva was made. Combine that with all the penises everywhere, and the 'manliness' theme... really kinda inescapable.

Part 3  SPOILER: Show
[3:44 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: Why would masculinity being a theme make it less likely to have a psycho analytic message
[3:45 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Because psychoanalysis is critical and reductionistic towards those things
[3:45 PM] Cardemonde: Is it? As I understand it, psychoanalysis takes the phallic symbol and extends it to cover pretty much everything, in a really 'cosmic' way.
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: In the traditional worldview, masculinity was a meaningful, objective truth that drove every aspect of a man's being; in psychoanalysis, it's neuroses and drives related to your urge to fuck your parents and other disgusting things like htat
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The phallus is a body part. IT doesn't belong to psychoanalysis
[3:46 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Many polytheistic socieites have cock sculptures all over the place
[3:46 PM] Cardemonde: But here, the phallus is used as a symbol of masculinity.
[3:47 PM] Cardemonde: Just like those polytheistic societies did.
[3:47 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Of course it is, it's literally comorbid with being a man :LelouchFacepalm:
[3:47 PM] Cardemonde: Just because they use the symbol, doesn't mean they're going the eva route with all the oedipal stuff.
[3:48 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: If you support the idea that psychoanalytic ideas are present, then you're going to have to take your oedipal content with that.
[3:50 PM] Cardemonde: Do you? Modern psychoanalysis has pretty much thrown out the oedipus complex, but they still use SOME freudian ideas. It's not all or nothing. If it were, psychoanalysis couldn't exist at all, because it's a freudian invention in the first place.
[3:50 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: It's a coherent system of thoughts. If you take pieces out, it makes less sense.
[3:51 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: If you have psychoanalysis without the oedipal stuff, to the extent that you have something that makes sense remaining, you're left with endless reductionistic logic about "drives" and "urges"
[3:52 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: That is still in radical opposition to the traditional worldview, which views a meaningful whole rather than materialistic pieces
[3:53 PM] highbanana: I'm not really sure what the argument is here. Pretty much all we said is that there's a lot of phallic imagery in TTGL, which you seem to agree with :InquisitiveCornPop:

Part 4  SPOILER: Show
[3:53 PM] Cardemonde: Ummm... "drives" and "urges" are very real things. People's actions actually ARE motivated by them. Psychotherapy works for a reason. Even without the therapist telling you you want to kill your father.

Certainly, modern screenwriting texts (like "Story" by Rob McKee) use drives and urges to explain character's motivation.
[3:53 PM] Cardemonde: And yes.
[3:54 PM] Cardemonde: @highbanana is correct... I'm getting off-track :).
[3:54 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: @Cardemonde said
"So many drills...
And they get inserted into things.
And Kamina...
And I thought Eva had penises... TTGL is on a whole different level."
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: Do you really think every instance of a drill is a phallic reference?
[3:55 PM] Cardemonde: In Gurren Lagann? Yes. In other media, no.
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: (Not that I concede everything you just said, but most of it is drifting into other topics)
[3:55 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: That strikes me as silly
[3:56 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The "drill" is a metaphor for the narrative structure of the show: A small part that grows as it progresses, like Simon
[3:56 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: This is said explicitly in either the last episode or second to last
[3:58 PM] highbanana: The drill has more than one meaning as a symbol in TTGL tbh. What you said is absolutely true, but they definitely had the other connotation in mind as well when they chose a drill as a central weapon/theme of the series.
[3:59 PM] Alfred_Bellamy: The drill is the only tool shaped in an appropriate way for that metaphor to work
[4:01 PM] highbanana: Considering Gainax's uhhh... history, I would lean toward the phallic interpretation being their primary consideration in choosing a drill. It does work quite well as a metaphor for the narrative structure of the show, but I tend to think that interpretation was a secondary consideration on their part. But who knows :RyuukoShrug:
[4:02 PM] Cardemonde: I am so happy I started this conversation :LloydHappy:
[4:02 PM] Lady Princess Alpha Kingsley: It's a legit discussion :eyes:
[4:03 PM] Cardemonde: No, I know. That's why I'm happy.
[4:03 PM] Cardemonde: I love those :).

Woah, dude awesome -- have you considered that the phallus is perhaps not figurative and that the drill is a literal penis? Most of Freud's figurative psychoanalytic theories like symbolic phallus, etc. were just functions of his inability to openly critique the massive amount of incest and pedophilia happening in Fin-de-siècle Vienna. if we go with the assumption that the drill is actually a functioning sex organ, imagine the possibilities!

esselfortium wrote:It's alright to stop posting these.

no bullying allowed, dweeb
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:04 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:no bullying allowed, dweeb

^ This is an example of something not to do.

Backstage complaints about this thread's lack of immediate lockage acting as inconsistent moderation and bad precedent, along with ran1's inappropriate response, have resulted in a thread lock. Things have been fairly laid-back recently, explaining why a thread that would have been immediately locked during busier and tenser times was allowed to sit around, but since the inevitable conclusion was forced, it's time to get this out of the way:

Chat logs are effectively spam. They take no effort for someone to post, and all the effort for someone else to read. If there is something of value from a live chat that one wishes to share on the forum, then it can be reformatted into a forum post. (For example, "I was talking with Derp and Blah from #wherever, and they got me thinking that maybe... [insert important and relevant thought here].") No more threads like this, please.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”