The Satire of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: The Satire of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm

I think Ray is on the right track regarding Satire, but I don't think they necessarily need to be funny. Satires aim to paint things in certain ways in order to prove a point. Instead of being funny, it can be made exaggerated or ridiculous (not necessarily ludicrous, but absurd to a point). For example, Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is a satire of the American South during that time, and is less focused on comedy and moreso on exposing the culture for what it was back then.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

ShonHam
Lilith

Re: The Satire of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:20 am

I wouldn't say that Eva is necessarily a "Satire" of mecha anime so much as it is a deconstruction (hate to use the word due to oversaturation but it's the best way to describe it). If I was to make a direct comparison, I would say that Eva is for the mecha genre what Watchmen or The Boys are for Superhero Comics - as both take the base concepts/appeal of the genre and twist it to such a perverse extent that it almost becomes something unrecognisable.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”