Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Flying Fortress
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 39
Joined: May 14, 2017
Gender: Male

Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Flying Fortress » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Looking at the meaning of this to his plan, how can Gendo make it so visible?

How come no one noticed that strange decoration on the ceiling and did not try to connect the dots?

C.T.1290
Sachiel
Age: 26
Posts: 210
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Maybe Gendo just like the style, as if it gives him an air of superiority in his office.

It could also be an indication of how he and SEELE are devoted to their plans of the he Human Instrumentality Project. And the tree of Sephiroth has a significance as it was shown in the End of Evangelion.
ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL. ONE RING YOU TO FIND IT. ONE RING TO BRING THEM ALL AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM.

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9827
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Who else is going to have any idea what it means? To an outside observer, Gendo might just be pretentious.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Cybermat47
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 18
Posts: 264
Joined: Jun 20, 2017
Location: NSW, Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Who else is going to have any idea what it means?


Not me.
My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

Settie
Adam
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 73
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: The deep south
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Settie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Basically what Sachi said, if someone had a poster of sugar water as its chemical formula in their office, how many people would actually know what it means? They'd probably just assume some sciency stuff and leave it at that.

The Flying Fortress
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 39
Joined: May 14, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm

You basically want to tell me, '' Who cares about this, it's just an anime, '' but they do not find a polite way to talk :w00t:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9827
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 pm

^What?
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8213
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Does anyone but Fuyutsuki even go in his office?

Is it actually an office? His desk is suspiciously clean. What if it's a private brooding chamber and no one sees it but Gendo's sassy, rotund Swiss maid Helga, who does not appear in the series but is absolutely canon?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9827
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Kaji makes his delivery to Gendo's office.

With that in mind, the one person besides Gendo and Fuyu to enter the office actually did end up being suspicious of Gendo and Seele's plans, and he died for it.

Checkmate, OP.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: 高地園、新槍ノ島
Gender: Female

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:41 pm

It's an office, and, at least according to NGE2, he actually does paperwork there sometimes.

Also, you guys are forgetting the time that Shinji is brought there in triple handcuffs.
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4346
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: At the Movies
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Classic CEO Power play.

NERV CONSTRUCTION: Plans are complete for your office, Mr. Ikari. It's a very (sigh) very large open space. Like excessively large. Like we had to create a whole new wing to the main offices just to fit it in. Before construction starts is there anything else you'd like to add?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What's the Tree of Saphyroth?
GENDO: It is not my job to educate you. One must educate themselves to be a full member of the human race. I repeat one final time, the Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling. Do it.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: Um... yeah.... sure. Whatever you say.
GENDO (VOICEOVER): Holy shit!!! They're actually gonna fucking doing it! A'ight, G-Man. Simmer down now. Be cool. Do the thing!
Gendo Ikari leans over into the Gendo pose & smiles.
GENDO (Ominous): It's all going according to plan.

The Flying Fortress
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 39
Joined: May 14, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:01 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:^What?



If you read the quotation marks in disgust, the phrase will make sense.

Anyway, we conclude then that Gendo is a totally eccentric guy to put that in his office, Ikari is a very mocking man really, he puts the plan of instrumentality in the ceiling of his office because he knows no one will find out, what will they think? , Probably something related to the Kabbalah, '' Commander Ikari is very reliogious '' they think, totally logical, no? .

Gendo'sPapa : Interesting question , Gendo really does not need all that space (it does not seem like such a logical guy right now).

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8213
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's an office,


That really depends on how you define office and contemplation chamber. I sometimes write my monthly cheques in my contemplation chamber but that doesn't make it an office.

Cybermat47
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 18
Posts: 264
Joined: Jun 20, 2017
Location: NSW, Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Classic CEO Power play.

NERV CONSTRUCTION: Plans are complete for your office, Mr. Ikari. It's a very (sigh) very large open space. Like excessively large. Like we had to create a whole new wing to the main offices just to fit it in. Before construction starts is there anything else you'd like to add?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What's the Tree of Saphyroth?
GENDO: It is not my job to educate you. One must educate themselves to be a full member of the human race. I repeat one final time, the Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling. Do it.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: Um... yeah.... sure. Whatever you say.
GENDO (VOICEOVER): Holy shit!!! They're actually gonna fucking doing it! A'ight, G-Man. Simmer down now. Be cool. Do the thing!
Gendo Ikari leans over into the Gendo pose & smiles.
GENDO (Ominous): It's all going according to plan.


I just realised, Gendo must have done that pose while conceiving Shinji.
My fanfics:
Evangelion 2.9: You Will (Not) Survive
Godzilla VS Evangelion: Who Will Know?

"I have to count my blessings, I have to learn my lessons, my fate is in the balance, I must go on believing!"
- Fate by Shirō Sagisu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9827
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:20 pm

He doesn't need the space on a practical level. For purposes of storytelling and reflecting his character through visuals, it fits. Empty, barren, shadowy, unwelcoming, singly devoted to one thing. The silhouette of the desk is looming and monolithic, used to effect during his confrontation with a detained Shinji. The symbols only reflect the mystery of his character initially, and it is not until later do we learn the connection between the symbols and Instrumentality, after we've learned more about Gendo's goals. Nobody picks up on the literal meaning of the symbols, because figuratively they're meant to represent mystery; that's the real reason they're there. No practical, in-story reason for any of it, just LOL SYMBOLISM like the religious stuff. Good symbolism, but LOLOLOL nonetheless.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

C.T.1290
Sachiel
Age: 26
Posts: 210
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Classic CEO Power play.

NERV CONSTRUCTION: Plans are complete for your office, Mr. Ikari. It's a very (sigh) very large open space. Like excessively large. Like we had to create a whole new wing to the main offices just to fit it in. Before construction starts is there anything else you'd like to add?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What?
GENDO: The Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: What's the Tree of Saphyroth?
GENDO: It is not my job to educate you. One must educate themselves to be a full member of the human race. I repeat one final time, the Tree of Sephiroth shall be painted on the ceiling. Do it.
NERV CONSTRUCTION: Um... yeah.... sure. Whatever you say.
GENDO (VOICEOVER): Holy shit!!! They're actually gonna fucking doing it! A'ight, G-Man. Simmer down now. Be cool. Do the thing!
Gendo Ikari leans over into the Gendo pose & smiles.
GENDO (Ominous): It's all going according to plan.

Man, either Gendo is doing all this to feed his ego, or he just likes his office to be really big because of how he too chooses not be close to people. Hedgehog's Delima. And as I mentioned, the tree of Sephiroth deal seems to be a major theme for his and SEELE's plan.
ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL. ONE RING YOU TO FIND IT. ONE RING TO BRING THEM ALL AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM.

"KONO DIO DA!"-Dio

The Flying Fortress
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 39
Joined: May 14, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:54 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:He doesn't need the space on a practical level. For purposes of storytelling and reflecting his character through visuals, it fits. Empty, barren, shadowy, unwelcoming, singly devoted to one thing. The silhouette of the desk is looming and monolithic, used to effect during his confrontation with a detained Shinji. The symbols only reflect the mystery of his character initially, and it is not until later do we learn the connection between the symbols and Instrumentality, after we've learned more about Gendo's goals. Nobody picks up on the literal meaning of the symbols, because figuratively they're meant to represent mystery; that's the real reason they're there. No practical, in-story reason for any of it, just LOL SYMBOLISM like the religious stuff. Good symbolism, but LOLOLOL nonetheless.

I knew you'd come to that conclusion, that is, all of the flaws in logic in Evangelion have the symbolism as an excuse, but I'm not accusing, it's just a confirmation.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9827
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:27 pm

They're not even really flaws in logic, and symbolism isn't even really an "excuse". NGE is a work of fiction, and things need to serve the plot and character work before they need to serve practical in-universe purpose. Given that this is animation also, they should be making full use of visual storytelling, and that is something Anno has always excelled at. He's telling an allegory first and foremost, and everything from the giant aliens to the apocalyptic religious themes are serving that purpose.

Why does Gendo have these symbols in his office? In-universe reason: because he wanted them. (No further explanation required, really.) Narrative reason: everything I stated in my earlier post. Which reason is more relevant to the point of the series?
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

The Flying Fortress
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 39
Joined: May 14, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:They're not even really flaws in logic, and symbolism isn't even really an "excuse". NGE is a work of fiction, and things need to serve the plot and character work before they need to serve practical in-universe purpose. Given that this is animation also, they should be making full use of visual storytelling, and that is something Anno has always excelled at. He's telling an allegory first and foremost, and everything from the giant aliens to the apocalyptic religious themes are serving that purpose.

Why does Gendo have these symbols in his office? In-universe reason: because he wanted them. (No further explanation required, really.) Narrative reason: everything I stated in my earlier post. Which reason is more relevant to the point of the series?

You do not need to elaborate a moral text to say that the author is the creator of the work and therefore he puts what want in it, but I only question points where logic is replaced by symbolism, this is just my preference, it can To do an anime about fairies and elves that I will not question, I just think that Evangelion has a solid foundation compared to other animes of the genre but it plays with a fanciful Universe and sometimes silly (my opinion).

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: 高地園、新槍ノ島
Gender: Female

Re: Why would someone place a drawing of Sephiroth's tree in the ceiling of his office?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That really depends on how you define office and contemplation chamber.

I am unable to fully penetrate the meaning of this comment, but for shits and giggles I looked in episode 19's script and the room is called 執務室, which is moonspeak for "office".
Avatar: "That's right. I'm a gay robot." (David 8 image by Junseo)
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests