Why didn't Mari and Sakura blame Shinji for NTI?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Why didn't Mari and Sakura blame Shinji for NTI?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Not sure if this was done before. If it was, and this ends up being a copy, I apologise for it.

Out of all the people aboard the Wunder, Mari and Sakura seems to be the only people who didn't blame Shinji for the Third Impact or treat him badly like how Misato and Asuka did( with them being so indifferent towards him). Why is that? Why is it that the two of them didn't treat him so coldly like the others did?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Why didn't Mari and Sakura blame Shinji for NTI?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 pm

When Sakura tells Shinji not to get in an Eva again, and to "give them a break", she's acknowledging his fault for N3I.

The most Mari acknowledges is that Shinji needs to learn more about the world, after 4I is averted. She recognizes that he's being used, but doesn't really blame him for it.

They're also the least attached to Shinji of the four you mention. Misato and Asuka have long pent up emotions regarding Shinji, whereas Mari is more or less indifferent and Sakura gives him the benefit of the doubt. Everybody else is just wary of him.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:17 pm

I won't put Mari and Sakura on the same level: Mari never showed any negative feeling towards Shinji, she was very supportive and calm.
Sakura was passive aggressive swinging from "yai Shinji-kun I'm a cute nice girl" to "you'll never ever live without the active choker on your neck ready to make you explode".

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Well Sakura is relatively young, so her knowledge may not be as expansive as Maris'. She knows about N3i and Shunjis role in it so while she treats him well there's some apprehension there as well. Though not enough to outright condemn him.

Mari has always struck me as a glass half full type person, that combined with how knowledgeable she seems to be would mean she would know that Shinji is a hapless idiot caught up in a chess game between Gendo and Seele. It'd make no sense for her to blame him for being manipulated. i think that's why she also tells him to stop being naive and get to know the world, so he'd have the knowledge to not jump blindly into action.

Besides, using Misato and Asuka as a measuring stick isn't the best idea. Both Misato and Asuka (especially Asuka) get triggered by Shinji due to their previous relationship with him, there's emotional baggage already built-in in their reaction to him. I mean just look at Ritsuko, she also doesn't really blame him, just helps in taking precautionary steps while attempting to get him caught up.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:Besides, using Misato and Asuka as a measuring stick isn't the best idea. Both Misato and Asuka (especially Asuka) get triggered by Shinji due to their previous relationship with him, there's emotional baggage already built-in in their reaction to him.

What do you mean by using them as the measuring stick?

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:What do you mean by using them as the measuring stick?

Basically that comparing other peoples reactions to Shinji using Asuka or Misato as a base comparison might not work as well because those two were more intimately involved with Shinji before N3I whilst characters such as Mari & Sakura not so much. Mari had barely met Shinji, Sakura would have known about him but it was doubtful she met him.

Asuka and Misato on the other hand had lived with him. Misato was basically like a mother to him for those months he was there and Asuka was his friend, had a romantic interest in him and of course was the victim in the Unit 03 incident. They're more emotionally invested when it comes to Shinji than the others are.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:32 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Basically that comparing other peoples reactions to Shinji using Asuka or Misato as a base comparison might not work as well because those two were more intimately involved with Shinji before N3I whilst characters such as Mari & Sakura not so much. Mari had barely met Shinji, Sakura would have known about him but it was doubtful she met him.

Asuka and Misato on the other hand had lived with him. Misato was basically like a mother to him for those months he was there and Asuka was his friend, had a romantic interest in him and of course was the victim in the Unit 03 incident. They're more emotionally invested when it comes to Shinji than the others are.

Yeah, it's too bad things went downhill between them, beyond a point of repair. Now it seems that Misato, Asuka, and possibly the entire crew of the Wunder want him dead to relieve their problems.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:02 am

I don't think they want him dead. if they did Asuka would have simply left him behind to rot at the end of 3. I certainly think the relationship can be repaired but it's not going to be an easy process, it's going to take a lot of sitting down and talking between Shinji and others. Time will heal the wounds, especially when Shinji is given a proper explanation as to what happened and understands why people are acting the way they are and vice versa. They will need to understand why Shinji might have acted the way he did.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I won't put Mari and Sakura on the same level

I think it's more that they're coming from different positions.

Sakura is just being a good person, like, she likely gets that he's just as kid & tries to be nice but there's some underlying clamness & awkwardness because of what happened. that She's only human after all; I wouldn't call that "two-faced" or "passive-aggressive", she's probably trying hard to be fair to him but can't overlook the death of her family & that's an admirable thing, she can't turn off her feelings with a button.
At least she tried being nice unlike the barely restrained reactions of Misato & Ritsuko or Asuka outright venting at him without telling him why.
I don't think it's just her being 'unnatached'... The Pink haired Wille girl didn't know him and she seemed especially angry meanwhile Ritsuko just knew him professionally and she's still all "punishment for you sin" & not bothering with the surface professional politeness, though she finds it easier to, like, speak to him without emoting whereas Misato is probably investing mental energy in supressing or handling her former attachment cumulating in the moment where she can't bring herself to kill him.

Mari is more comparable to Kaworu: They both know what's being played & that Shinji's just an unlucky pawn (and not any less of one than anybody else - they're all acting "within expected parameters") Markedly Mari and Kaworu are the only ones that realize that Fourth Impact was set up by Gendo, and even they ouldn't stop things from going as he wanted - It was either play his game or let a SEELE impact occur.
She talks as if there were nothing particular about him, like playully asking Asuka if she's visited him or telling him to hold out since she's comming to save her. "Don't get duped again!" is hardly a sign of hostility it's good advice - insofar it's not too different from the way their conversation at the end of 2.22 went, as if nothing's changed.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:02 am

It might be just a thing of perspective, Sakura's young and not everyone fully knows what's really the truth (as in if he was inside unit-01 he has all the fault and stuff), on the other side Mari knows what's really happening, knows that Shinji was merely being manipulated.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

StrokeMeGoat
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby StrokeMeGoat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:31 pm

Sakura just seems to be keeping her interactions with Shinji professional, which changes somewhat as he's about to escape with the Ayanami series girl. Otherwise, she's his nurse/aide so it makes sense she'd behave that way.

Mari on the other hand is somebody who doesn't conform to behaviors or opinions that society would consider normal, which is corroborated by her first interaction with Shinji directly after crashing into him was to invade his personal space and smell him. Her willingness to sacrifice Unit-05 without hesitation as a means to win and to also engage Unit-02's beast mode also kind of help to explain her from a psychological stand point as well. She doesn't conceptualize the world or reality in the same ways most people would either because she's entirely willing to lose her humanity and even jump headlong into what could be certain death. Her unconventional behavior and the otherwise lighthearted and jovial manner she goes through the entirety of 3.33 displaying (even when she says something serious to Shinji she does so in a way that almost makes it seem like she isn't taking her message seriously, telling him he could at least save the princess and whatnot) prove enough to me that she's an individual that doesn't react to things much or almost at all on an emotional level. Her emotional distance in this case allows her to be much more understanding of what's happened to some degree, and even more I think it's not so much that she doesn't hold Shinji responsible for things but that she is willing to let the past stay where it is and judge him based on what he's doing in the present.

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:24 am

Well, it was Shinji's choice in the end that resulted in third impact. That isn't to say he wasn't helped or influenced into making that kind of choice by other characters in the show or incredibly unfortunate circumstances.

But when you almost end life as we know it, it's natural for people to be pissed.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:15 am

^
The problem is that we don't even know if it was him who almost ended all life on Earth (or even if nearly all life on Earth was ended), because there are still too many things that don't add up : we saw in 2.0's stinger that EVA-01 was stopped by Mark.06, and there wasn't any trace of the Moon falling on Earth or the ground turned to core or anything we saw in 3.0, and the headless Eva status littering the ground seems to be connected to the sea of giant skulls in Lilith's tomb, Lilith who was fused with a Mark 06 possessed by the 12th Angel (which means that there's a 11th Angel unaccounted for).

Kaworu's explanations of what happened was very partial, if not downright manipulative to incite Shinji to follow him in his plans with the two spears.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:39 am

ElMariachi wrote:The problem is that we don't even know if it was him who almost ended all life on Earth (or even if nearly all life on Earth was ended), because there are still too many things that don't add up : we saw in 2.0's stinger that EVA-01 was stopped by Mark.06, and there wasn't any trace of the Moon falling on Earth or the ground turned to core or anything we saw in 3.0, and the headless Eva status littering the ground seems to be connected to the sea of giant skulls in Lilith's tomb, Lilith who was fused with a Mark 06 possessed by the 12th Angel (which means that there's a 11th Angel unaccounted for).

The problem is that I think very few people care about that. Evangelion for me is like a magic trick. You just see what the magician wants.

How did Eva 01 wake up? I did not see Shinji pressing any special button, pulling some strange lever, shouting "Za Beasto!" Or "Code 777!". I did not see the Inhibitor pillars coming off the Unit's back. The situation seemed weird because I did not understand the mechanics of the process. He could not use Eva to destroy the world simply because he does not have the knowledge or the means to do so.

When Asuka Unit 02 stopped and ran out of power, we saw that the panels were still working and that the power level was not at zero . This looks like a security protocol to me.

Gendo and Fuyutsuki may be two monomaniacal genocidal sociopaths obsessed with a dead woman, but they are not suicidal. They would do nothing to put their "meeting". with Yui at risk.

Kaji and Mari were not scared either, and Kaworu called it Promised Day. He knew that this was going to happen and was waiting, probably since before Gendo's visit the moon.

From the beginning, I claim that Eva 01 was made to wake up and create impacts. It was not a question of if, but when. I can not accept the idea of Yui realizing Shiji's selfish subconscious desires or that it all happened because Shinji said something about not caring of the world. Subconscious desires are even worse. Who controls the subconscious? This is hypocrisy. I would be doomed, then. I've said similar things several times, I've heard something like that several times and I think everyone, including Anno, has also spoken or heard something like that over and over again. I've said several times that I wanted to stick my arm in Anno's ass and rip out all teeth, tongue and eyes of the asshole with my hand and that I would not spit on him to save him if he was on fire, but that does not mean I would do that really. I laughed at an Anno interview where he said he wanted to kill himself; not because I want him to kill himself, but because I can not believe anything he says. For me, if Anno opens his mouth then he's already lying. I can not feel empathy for Anno. When I think of Anno fighting against depression is this the image that comes to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO12rJppIA

In the original, Anno joked with the idea of sabotage in episode 7 (Jet Alone) and brought many elements back. It has the pillars of control, a secret but simple code: "Hope" instead of "Code 777". He then uses Q twice with the "ship of hope" and the "spears of hope". And in all three cases it was a mockery of the word, because "hope" was useless.

Later I saw that it was Ritsuko who spoke of sin, I remembered that she was the one who reprogrammed the Jet Alone and if I was right, she would know that Eva 01 was a trap. And from the Jet Alone incident, I know that Misato is perfectly capable of covering Ritsuko and Gendo if she feels it necessary. Gendo, Fuyutsuki and Ritsuko must have used Shinji as a scapegoat and continued working normally. Seele and the government could not replace them before the arrival of the last two angels. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. Cause all you need to change the world, is one good lie and a river of blood.

The changes in Geofronte, the automation of Nerv, the creation of hundreds of Evas, the creation of the Wunder must have taken years, involving several scientists, dozens of engineers, hundreds of technicians and thousands of workers and resources coming from different countries. They even changed the Nerv logo!

Another thing that bothers me is the story of 14 years of misery of Misato, Asuka, etc. They faced two angels after what happened and built several Evas. You can not do that on that devastated land, but what really bothers me is the names Wunder and Wille.

Keel seems to like to give German names for his things: Seele, Gehirn, and Nerv, so it makes sense the name Wunder which probably comes from Wunderwaffe , "German term for" Wonder Weapon "and was a term assigned during World War II by the Nazi Propaganda Ministry to a few revolutionary "superweapons". The problem comes with Wille who must come from the German der Wille zur Macht, the Will to Power, in English, is a prominent concept in the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. The will to power describes what Nietzsche may have believed to be the main driving force in humans - achievement, ambition, and striving to reach the highest possible position in life. The ideals of Instrumentality that Keel believed,or better, distorted. So I question if Wille was not a Seele organization that broke up a little while ago, maybe months, but less than a year and stole the Wunder. This would explain so many newbies and that manuals were available to train them.

There are a lot of other things that do not make sense, so I thought that with twenty minutes of animation, anyone can solve Shinji's problem and close his arc in a positive way. The problem is that almost no one likes my interpretation, the few people who deigned to sketch an opinion thought it would ruin the story because people have become accustomed to the guilt of Shinji and Misato leading a group of survivors in the devastated land for decades. That if I was right, Shinji would be a victim and he would be as guilty as someone who unknowingly activate a car with a bomb connected to the ignition. So what would be the moral of the story?

After that I sort of gave up arguing. Mark Twain said that it is easier to fool people than convince them that they have been fooled. People think Shinji is a monster that destroyed the world, and will not accept anything else. In Q he even managed to block Kaworu because Anno, as a perfectionist, must have felt his guilt vague in Ha and decided to create a scene in which he was absolutely guilty, but Anno forgot again that Shinji would not know how. He may not have the knowledge to block Kaworu, but it does not matter because the “SODDI” defense (an abbreviation sometimes derisively used in the judicial system — it stands for “Some Other Dude Done It”) won’t work here, and all holds Shinji accountable. How dreadful… to be caught up in a game and have no idea of the rules. I think Shinji is basically a mushroom: fed with shit and kept in the dark and he will never get past that. Anno never wanted the character to advance, he wrote that in the title of the film and proved that nobody cares so much about him to even question anything. Everyone blindly accepts this. I can not overcome my prejudice against Anno, I think people will not win their prejudice against Shinji.

I do not believe there will be a fourth movie. All I can do, is hope that in a couple of years they do a remake of Evangelion, remove Shinji from the cast and the character can be forgotten and find peace in oblivion.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 am

:clap:

I like your interpretation and approve of it. But I'm a black sheep here so that may not count for much :P

But hey, let me quote Lucifer from Nocturne: "God may curse you, but I will bless you."

:kaos_oni:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:he would be as guilty as someone who unknowingly activate a car with a bomb connected to the ignition.

I'm sure that this is what almost everyone thinks of the events of 2.0, I don't think I've ever read anyone with an unbiased opionion on the movie arguing the opposite. The movie itself is clear about it: Shinji and Rei had their fate programmed since day one.

What Shinji did in other occasions is a different matter. Ultimately Eva is a work of fiction and things get blown out of proportions because it's an apocalyptic sci fi story. It's a metaphor, it's not supposed to be taken at face value. And yes, Shinji gets treated unfairly sometimes, but he also "gets a pass" very often.

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:I do not believe there will be a fourth movie.

What? I'm sure that I wasn't allucinating when I saw the posters and the work being done.

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:All I can do, is hope that in a couple of years they do a remake of Evangelion, remove Shinji from the cast and the character can be forgotten and find peace in oblivion.

Why Shinji has to find peace in the oblivion if the core message of Eva is finding hope and never giving up? That would negate everything that Eva is. Episode 26 is pretty clear.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Movie is getting done :wink:
the shit will be real soon

Oh BOY
Anno uploaded a selfie on Instagram and wrote something in Japanese about 3.0+1.0
https://www.instagram.com/p/BblkUqXnMJx/

source
https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/com ... and_wrote/

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Stillborn wrote:"God may curse you, but I will bless you."

Thank you! You reminded me of a fanfiction of Eva in which the Devil says to Shinji: "To be just does not mean to be strong, only the strong can do justice." Shinji would only get justice by force and with Anno writing this story it will not happen.

Joseki wrote: I'm sure that this is what almost everyone thinks of the events of 2.0, I don't think I've ever read anyone with an unbiased opinion on the movie arguing the opposite. The movie itself is clear about it: Shinji and Rei had their fate programmed since day one.

"I read. And many. Enough to get bored of explaining my opinion and questioning theirs. Against passionate opinions, argumentation, logic and even if the entire movie corroborate the points I defended will be useless. I had the most recent proof seeing that Yuri Eva spin-off (I can not remember the name!): Most of the comments talking about how everything was Shinji's fault, etc. It was a series of short stories that the main cast did not even appear but in the end Shinji was the monster. As always.

Joseki wrote: Ultimately Eva is a work of fiction and things get blown out of proportions because it's an apocalyptic scifi story. It's a metaphor, it's not supposed to be taken at face value.

This is the point. It is disproportionate. People do not act rationally with events of this magnitude. I'll make a simplistic analogy: Shinji is watching television and sees Rei being beaten on the street. Immediately he runs off and finds Gendo; He begs that he needs the car to save Rei. Gendo lends the key and when the car starts, it explodes. Shinji kills 25 people and, in addition, he falls into a coma. By pure chance (actually part of Gendo's grand plan!), he wakes up 14 years later and receives 25 counts of murder. Everyone hates him, including Misato and Asuka. And Gendo was promoted to King of the Lilins.

Joseki wrote: And yes, Shinji gets treated unfairly sometimes, but he also "gets a pass" very often.

I do not remember Shinji picking up any "gets a pass" very often, but no matter, what I want is the fairness of the prosecution, defense and fair trial. I do not like this childish behavior of cold treatment. If you think he's guilty, accuse, let him defend hinself and judge impartially. Threats, imprisonment without charge, cold treatment are things of guerrillas, terrorists or tyrants. If Misato had done this he would not have run away or probably would have because I think the accusations would be pretty stupid:

Misato: "Shinji Ikari, you are accused of widespread global genocide. What you claim: Innocent or guilty? "

Shinji: "What? How did this happen?"

Misato: "Using your vast knowledge of Eva, you awakened the Unit 01, bringing about the Third Impact."

Shinji: "Do Evas cause impacts? But was not it only if the angels reached Lilith? Vast knowledge of Eva? I do not know almost anything about that thing! I do not even know why Eva enters berserker! And you did not know either! This is absurd! "

Misato: "Then Eva fulfilled his selfish subconscious desires. You said yourself that you did not care about the world! "

Shinji: "Everybody talks that sometimes and that story is that of Eva grant wishes? Nobody told me that! Why would I ask for the end of the world instead of living with my family together? "

Misato: "Anyway you are guilty, you will be stuck here with this explosive necklace and our willingness to be able to judge you and think of how to expose your guilt if we seem stupid or guilty too."

When you make a formal charge, it becomes possible to refute it and even turn the tables. So Anno was vague with Wille, and when Kaworu made his accusations Shinji was so emotionally shaken (and the audience too!) that he accepted without questioning how and why. I always question everything. Eva has always been a popularity contest, so against Misato, Asuka, Gendo and Kaworu it is obvious that he will not win and be heard. They did not even have to make an accusation! People will crucify first and ignore any argument, it does matter if it is the best legal defense in the world. Then he will be guilty until the end.

Anno has always been a Nihilist and a social Darwinist to me. He is only proving his view that in this world there are those who kick and those who are kicked. The strong do what they want and the weak suffer what they have to suffer.

Joseki wrote: What? I'm sure that I wasn't allucinating when I saw the posters and the work being done.

He had been saying this since before Shin Godzilla. Anno must be rolling until other, more interesting work appears.

Joseki wrote: Episode 26 is pretty clear.

A fantasy world, a lotus eater machine and return to the maternal womb, cannot be considered "happiness". If it's,any magical drug could be too, see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y68uGVrEHBU

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 pm

You speak my toughts with much greater eloquence than my frothing frustration could ever produce. I would tell you to keep up the fight but i don't want to burden you with breaking walls with your head :P
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:59 pm

View Original Postone-eyed wrote:Most of the comments talking about how everything was Shinji's fault, etc.

There are plenty of places where this is strongly disputed - here for one.

I always question everything.

You make it sound as if you think there's no one else who does.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”