Is Shikinami inspired by Moyoco?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Is Shikinami inspired by Moyoco?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Hideaki Anno on Moyoco wrote:“My wife’s public image is that of a strong woman, but actually she’s very sensitive, fragile and weak. She constantly has to face her difficult past, and she couldn’t escape the reality of having to provide for her family. It’s just that she needed to don a piece of armor called “toughness” over her heart. I can sense that deep inside she battles loneliness and alienation and she is barely holding her emotional balance in check. That’s why I want to devote whatever time I have outside of work to my wife. That’s why I got married to her, and I want to protect her with everything I have, forever.”

This is a quote from Insufficient Direction, and the picture Anno paints of his wife is somewhat similar of Asuka, Q Shikinami in particular.
In Q Asuka is shown to be uncapable of keeping her anger in check during the reunion, and in the last act of the movie shows a huge range of emotions going from attacking Shinji head on to lecturing him for not helping her and then subsequencially kicking him and walking with him holding his hand.
The events of 2.0 and the consequent repercussions could also be the "past she couldn't escape" that she constantly face.

Do you think a connection is really there or I'm just overthinking it?

I think that the connection with Asuka was already made in the past but I didn't found anything on the subject.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Is Shikinami inspired by Moyoco?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:33 pm

The hospital scene makes so much more sense now. Change the name all you want, Anno. We see through your thinly veiled threats. Save that woman from this evil man.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:56 pm

I suppose it's possible, he has used aspects of himself for his characters before, with marriage and a new perspective from and of his partner i could see it happening.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:51 pm

There's no reason to suppose this except shipping goggles.

Pretty much ANY of the main girls in EVA could be described as "having a tough, businesslike facade but also a more subtle vulnerable side" including Misato, Ritsuko & Rei (with whom Shinji actually has a scene of admiring her stenght & actually acts nurturing & protective towards)
So he has a type and Shinji may have the same one by extension but there's nothing linking this to Asuka in particular, after all he came up with her character long before he even met his wife.

The shifted emphasis has already been explained at lenght - shaking things up, wanting to emphasize her arriving on her own over the "popular girl" veneer & not having the time for both etc.
To begin with the pilot girls are said to be based on aspects of himself & the only one where there's a rumor that she might be based on some past crush is Misato.

If he meant to work in some of his marriage into Rebuild!Asuka don't you think the romantic subplot with Shinji would've been emphasized rather than sort of downplayed & not really shown as reciprocated?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:14 am

I'm gonna go with a "no" on this one. Shikinami doesn't have a backstory similar enough to Moyoco's past for it to be a specific inspiration. Shinji is noticeably Anno's self-insert in Eva, and one can argue that he's placed pieces of himself in all of the characters in the franchise (save for Mari, which Anno has stated several times that she is not a character he originated). The whole "tough exterior with a gooey center" is broad enough to fit any of the other characters, and I believe it was done simply to contrast how Shinji couldn't emotionally progress to the point that others already had.

Moyoco might "show up" in her own Manga works from time to time, though. Sakuran in particular comes to mind as far as describing a lead character in the same way that Anno describes his wife. But even then it still feels too distant from IRL to be anything other than mere emotional similarities, and not similarities within one's past.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 pm

^ Well not everything has to be tit-for-tat to provide inspiration, reading that quote i can see similarities with Shikinami and Misato in 3.0 that aren't there for other characters. Putting shipping aside is it rally that much of a stretch that Anno could've used his wife as inspiration for for some aspects of his characters this time around? Like he did for himself for NGETV. I know similarities aren't definitive proof but it does provide food for thought.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm bumping this topic because I find some sort of vague confirmation and expansion on my idea in the topic about Anno's interview in the CRC of 2.0 here.

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:That said, if I remember correctly again, Anno says later in the interview that his wife's personality influenced somewhat the way he depicted Asuka, Mari, and Misato, but he didn't mention Rei (or Shinji!) in this regard.

However later posts don't mention the word "wife" or "Moyoco" at all, so the answer is probably behind language barrier somewhere in the CRC of 2.0. :shakehead:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”