How many people in this forum would support an Instrumentality for mankind?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

How many people in this forum would support an Instrumentality for mankind?

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am

Imagine you are in Shinji's shoes. Rei gives you the chance to abort or continue the Instrumentality. What would you do? Do you think Instrumentality would fill the gaps in our mind/heart and could give us free will as individuals forming a single conscience, or do you think there's still hope for humanity to understand each other? I'm assuming, of course, that aborting Instrumentality would turn the things back to the normal world, not red earth or returning souls or shit. Just the regular world.

I... I'm not sure if I am totally honest. Im so curious about how would a global conscience be like. But, at the same time, no one wants to lose his inherent being. I think that Instrumentality is a coward way out, and eventually nothing will be solved, because nothing would be technically existing. It would be like death, in a conscious level. On the other hand, mankind will have to keep fighting if it wants to understand itself. We are FAR, very far from being able to understand ourselves. And I think we're not even on the right road. So... the options are: returning to nothing or keep waiting for a distant hope.

So, what do you think? Anybody would go ahead with Instrumentality? Anyone would be OK with that?
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

The Cruel
Banned

Re: How many people in this forum would support an Instrumentality for mankind?

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Short answer: No!!!

Long answer: Why would I want a cowards way out into a fake Garden Eden, if I rather want something true and real than just something out of my imaginagion? I can accept myself, the circumstances, the people around me and the world I live in and these are enough reasons to be against Instrumantality.

That's only a means to play god and no one asked for giving up their own identity, becoming goo and having their consciousness floating in nothingness. Otherwise you're nuts or suicidial to want that.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Short answer: No; long answer: Absolutely No!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 pm

No because I don't like the idea of being interconnected with others and seeing there deepest and darkest thoughts and desires as I think some thoughts and desires are private for a reason and no one should ever be forced to have to show them to everyone else. Not to mention that Human Instrumentality doesn't talk about being forced to share your minds with that of killers, murders and other criminals whose mental images would not be nice viewing on any level. Hence why if someone put me in it I would want out as fast as possible...and wouldn't start it if it was offered to me.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:33 pm

If Nemz was still with us, he would probably vote for.

Me... I don't want to be connected to mind of certain people XD Besides I know funnir ways for transhumanism, like connecting to Netsphere, or joining the Great Old Ones... :D
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:52 pm

While we haven't had this exact question before, we have had similar ones. And I think it's safe to say that NemZ would have and I would both vote for Gendou's Techno-Rapture as shown the in TV series.

The rather different deal on offer in EoE is another matter, coming as it does in a lose-lose bundle (even if we finesse Shinji's massive dummy-spit early on in the proceedings, the ecological effects of these tsunami

in the rejection choice would lead to, well, matters rehashed at length a decade and more ago) really requires the answer "none of the above", and the James T. Kirk solution to the Kobayashi Maru exercise.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:22 pm

I don't think so. I rather be my own person and retain my own individuality, I think I'm fine just the way I am.
As for others to get along and come to an understanding, that is something we all have to work for to achieve. Sometimes we have to take the long road towards that instead of just taking the shortcut. Instrumentality was just someone's way of cheating everyone of their own selves, depraving them of their rights to be. And turning into goo is one terrible way to go.

Everyone's about as fine as they are. If they want to change, they have to work towards it instead of the easy way.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Instrumentality, for all mankind?? Nope.

Instrumentality for me and a select few? Yes please. :devil: Let us transcend as one into the vessel that is Eva, and become an all-powerful god. Damn the unworthy to a cold, and tangy oblivion.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm

A transhumanist scenario of my own design? Don't mind if I do! The one depicted in NGE? Just... no.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I would enjoy surviving ego death to enslave all your souls in the future that is Chuckman.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I have a feeling that if all of mankind were to come together into a collective hive mind, it would be as if everyone was on Twitter and constantly tweeting everything that came to mind, with no way of blocking it out and everyone follows each other. In short, it would be hell.

Regardless, as someone who holds the freedom of the individual as a personally important value, I'd rather not sacrifice that for the idea of 'getting along'.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Really it depends on whether we're individuals glued together or we combine into a divine being.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:38 pm

I honestly like food, sport and girls too much to give up on them.
Then there are smaller things like the smell of the streets after a rainy day, a beautiful clear sky of a sunny day, a walk in the park with my sweet lady...
What Instrumentality offers isn't worth what I'll lose for it.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:04 pm

No. I'd prefer not to run away from reality.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:21 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Really it depends on whether we're individuals glued together or we combine into a divine being.

The latter. Seele wanted to recreate Adam Kadmon, essentially.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:10 pm

I believe they succeded and this entity is now writing down his gestalt memories as fanfics on FFnet D
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:I have a feeling that if all of mankind were to come together into a collective hive mind, it would be as if everyone was on Twitter and constantly tweeting everything that came to mind, with no way of blocking it out and everyone follows each other. In short, it would be hell.

That's not instrumentality, that's hell indeed!!

Sachi wrote:Instrumentality, for all mankind?? Nope.
Instrumentality for me and a select few? Yes please

But the instrumentality is like that. From your perspective, it is like the people you know is filling your gaps. Obviously the people you don't know can't complement you, so...

The Cruel wrote:That's only a means to play god and no one asked for giving up their own identity, becoming goo and having their consciousness floating in nothingness. Otherwise you're nuts or suicidial to want that.

Oh cmon, you gotta admit it would be such an experience (if you could get out eventually...). Imagine. Everybody would agree in the Evageeks Forum... :yippee: :yippee:
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:04 pm

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:Oh cmon, you gotta admit it would be such an experience (if you could get out eventually...). Imagine. Everybody would agree in the Evageeks Forum... :yippee: :yippee:

You can have this "fun". I appreciate who and what I have in my life. I rather earn happiness and joy in the real harsh world, that's outside of this fake paradise, where I have to fight with suffering, pain and misery every day and being a born example of a Lilin than to give this all up.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 pm

^
Exactly! If you could have EVERYTHING you wanted with the blink of an eye....would you even bother getting up in the morning?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:^
Exactly! If you could have EVERYTHING you wanted with the blink of an eye....would you even bother getting up in the morning?

All what matters is gratification, everything else is just a bonus, even if I want to live with someone like Asuka and Mari.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”