Is the destination of this forum becoming a '' file drawer ''?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Flying Fortress
Adam

Is the destination of this forum becoming a '' file drawer ''?

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 am

New users arrive (I am one of them) and I notice that this forum has already several years and there seems to be topics for all kind of subject, it seems that all the topics I see have already reached a consensus.

But then we have people who come with a new vigor but who want to discuss the same issues, I myself can not find a discussion that has something new to contribute at the moment and I've already taken a good look at several topics.

I've been through the experience of seeing forums stagnate after several years, which is a natural process.

Experienced users become wise and basically answer all questions from inexperienced users.

Personal excuses if there are already topics similar to this, but I just find it frustrating to come up with a new energy and knowledge, but do not see anything to contribute.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Is the destination of this forum becoming a '' file drawer ''?

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 am

+1 for this.

Yea, almost everything about Evangelion here has been discussed to death years ago.

I mean the very nature of it, Neon Genesis is a 20+ years old, and the final part of the Rebuilds no where in sight. There just isn't anything to talk about with Evangelion until something new happens.

My hope is that once 3+1 starts being shown to the public, more people will come back and there will be something new to talk about and discuss for a while.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am

There were already signs of the gradual glide-path to silence in the time immediately before the first glimmerings of the Rebuilds -- all the big rocks, and most of the small ones, had been dealt with, and conversation was becoming stale.

Even so, a decade later (and five years after the last incremental release) we do have occasional bursts of activity as new spins on questions even about the old series are raised; but the pre-existing consensus does act rather like a drag anchor -- the regular "WTF did I just watch?" threads on /a/, even if they retread a lot of the same ground, also end up with some flashes of novelty, because they can't just assume common knowledge.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

If we turn this forum into an "Anno Fan Club" forum several years after the release of Shin Eva, we might be able to postpone that inevitability.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:23 pm

It pretty much already is such fan club.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 pm

People don't generally go to the trouble of joining forums for things they don't like, so that's hardly a surprise.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:43 pm

I still have a number of fresh or reinvigorated takes on topics brewing in my brain, but at this point it typically requires JUST THE RIGHT conversation partner to successfully draw them out of me. I'm not as young and hypomanic as I used to be; it's easier to just keep quiet most of the time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm

We're actually having more discussion of the original material from the '90s at the moment than we have done in years, with newer members doing a lot of the talking. And the topics are not ones that simply rehash old topics, but do put their own spin on the matter (neither of the couple of recent beach scene strangulation threads have been amenable to simply dropping a bunch of links to topics from 10+ years ago).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 am

I love the OP so much right now.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 am

I'd assume so. As was previously mentioned, every surface has been more or less scratched. Of course you can always have a slightly differing opinion on every post, but it doesn't change the fact that the essentials are almost completed. My prediction is, that 5 years after the release of 3.0 + 1.0, the site will have suffered it's killing blow. Lack of content will strangle it.

But we can all try to enjoy ourselves for some more time...
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Unless of course, more content is created, NGE isn't bad for business.

Hope Anno spites us and doles out licenses for NGE pachinko machine releases :wink:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:26 am

^ Where have you been? That's been done.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:37 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ Where have you been? That's been done.

I thought it had been done, but this is nowhere near Konami's level of telling it's fandom that every new release will be a pachinko game tier spiteful behaviour, thankfully.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 am

Aye, that's true.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Well, today is the 20th Anniversary of the release of End of Evangelion, but we're still arguing about it.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 pm

You know, I've been sort of wondering the same thing. But, I was looking it at from an entirely different angle. My thought was "What will happen to this place once the last Rebuild film in its finalized version (Evangelion 4.0, Rebuild 4.0, NTE 4, etc.) is official released?" Will this place finally ascend to the level intellectual grandeur it's always been regarding the Eva series? OR, does it have the possibility of going quiet a lot sooner based on a loss of interest from newcomers? Does Eva attract newcomers? It would be interesting to know the ratio of older Eva Fans (the ones who saw NGE first, bonus points for it being on VHS or any time before the Rebuilds were announced) to those who got into Evangelion via exclusively the NTE flicks. Does anyone know this?

On a more practical note, how much of a mixed group is it among those whole like both? By both, I mean both NGE AND the Rebuilds? Is it pretty divided or is the group as a whole fairly substantial?

My final round of inquiry is probably the biggest (at least with regard to scope): how much of an international splash culturally and amongst anime/manga fans around the globe has the NTE movies made VS. how everything ended up with NGE, E:D+R, and EoE)?

I mean these days, the internet, not anime niche stores or even video rental vendors, is doing the heavy lifting. So, a lot of the Evangelion commercials aren't on TV like they used to be. This begs the question of much of an audience still exists among the whole world wide?

On that note, is there a way to expand this website/forum to have a more international and diversity-based grouping? I mean really, I think that learning about Evangelion from people in Japan who are just like us would be awesome!!! :D With India, yes even Germany, and Canada, I think we could really advance things along to greater heights than ever.

What are Evangelion's (including VHS's, art books, DVD's, manga series, Angelic Days, Campus Apocalypse, Renewal, etc.), as a collective whole, overseas sales like in places outside of both North America and within Japan itself? Does anyone have these figures, because I think it would be fascinating.

Presently, I think that our fan base is headed towards another dark age just like we did back in 2003 - 2007 before we had as much access and exposure as we do now? I mean, does anyone remember all those hideously old angel fire websites and terrible fan shrines form that era? I mean, at least Deviant Art helped us through those times, lol.

Seriously, does anyone have the slightest idea of what this place or even the world will be like in 1 to 5 years from now when they really try to think about a strict continuity between the past, present and future? MY GUESS: not really, no

Otherwise.....Does this seem strange to you? Consider how much alike NGE is to other works and how much it's all been cannibalized by this point, then you'll undertand, I hope :)
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:06 am

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:On that note, is there a way to expand this website/forum to have a more international and diversity-based grouping? I mean really, I think that learning about Evangelion from people in Japan who are just like us would be awesome!!! :D With India, yes even Germany, and Canada, I think we could really advance things along to greater heights than ever.
We have people from all over as members past and present. I'm not sure what more we could do.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:53 am

A Facebook page could give the forum more views.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 pm

@joeski https://www.facebook.com/groups/1585108668452067/ This is a face book group I mess around sometimes if you guys wanna see an example of one.

@Reichu I'll read whatever random ideas you got if you want. Cant promise I'll have any interesting feed back or questions but you never know.

@people in charge of site. Hypothetically if you guys ever decide to pull the plug on the site will we get like a 1 month warning or something? I ask cause I actually do worry a bit that I'm randomly gonna come on to the site after a long while of not being on it and it'll like just not being here.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:this is nowhere near Konami's level of telling it's fandom that every new release will be a pachinko game tier spiteful behaviour, thankfully.

Hilariously, MGS3 pachinko was only in the parlors for a few months before vanishing. Pachinko's very much an entertainment for old men, either way.

I don't see the forums dying out anytime soon due to new members always having questions. Any new spin-off manga/Eva FINAL release/etc will keep things chugging along at least somewhat, I think.

Things have been the way of Reddit/Twitter/etc for sure, though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”