Why didn't Shinji finish Asuka off in EOE?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Adam

Why didn't Shinji finish Asuka off in EOE?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 am

I know this is a silly question as the answer is quite obvious. But still, Shinji could've finished​ Asuka off if he wanted to, for all the trouble she may have caused him and for being a part of his problem. I'm pretty sure at some point, Shinji must've hated Asuka as much as she hated him.

Sure, her actions towards him may not be as bad Gendo's, but no other character had treated him badly as she did( her verbal abuse, her violent outbursts, taking most of her problems out on Shinji and blaming him for it, even though it was indirectly.). After all the pain, trouble, and annoyance she caused him, it's no wonder Shinji wanted to go as far as to strangle her( I mean, who doesn't want to at some point?). Shinji had taken all he can from her until he reached his breaking point.

And to think that Asuka would have learned something from the kitchen scene during pre-Instrumentality. She may be a bit sassy towards others, but she can't just go and treat everyone like crap as she pleases and expect to get away with it. Otherwise, all her actions will eventually come back to bite her. She obviously did not see it coming when Shinii decided to finally strangle her out of frustration towards her, which may or may not be justified, depending on how you see it.

So then, why wouldn't Shinji want to finish what he started at the beach and in the kitchen scene? Wouldn't he have been better off without the person like Asuka? The person who have been causing him so much grief for no apparent reason?
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Why didn't Shinji finish Asuka off in EOE?

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 am

Well a few things really. (Oh boy discussion about Eva, it's been a while for me)

1. Shinji was not choking Asuka to try and kill her, but figure out if she was alive, we find this all out from a trading card game that the name escapes my mind, but it's been officially endorsed by Anno and Gainax.

2. The end of EoE is really suppose to be about acceptance. When Asuka caresses Shinji's face like Yui did moments(as seen by the auidence, for Shinji we don't know the time between him coming out of HIP and Asuka) before there is a sense of acceptance between the two. Even Asuka's infamous line "How disgusting" us just a follow up to how she now knows Shinji wacked off to her in the beginning of the movie and her very Asuka response.

3. Going through HIP, Shinji may have very well saw Asuka's past and understands why she acted the way she does. Again coming back to acceptance, and also hope.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Even Asuka's infamous line "How disgusting" us just a follow up to how she now knows Shinji wacked off to her in the beginning of the movie and her very Asuka response.

This is very much up for debate, though. She already addressed him whacking off to her earlier in the film, so I'm inclined to believe that her final line focuses on something different. In my opinion, I think she's referencing the entire experience and fallout of 3rd Impact and the HIP.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am

I don't think Shinji had any real intention of hurting Asuka, but anyway the reason why he stopped doing whatever he was doing and started crying was very clear:

SPOILER: Show

SPOILER: Show

Asuka gave him some love for the first time, he probably felt infinite emotions at the same time, started crying and wasn't able to do anything for a while.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:57 pm

One more final is the most straightforward demonstration of the Hedgehog's dilemma in the NGE universe. Hedgehog's dilemma in a nutshell: the closer you get to someone, the more pain you will experience from this person. Yet if you choose to remain aloof from others, you will miss out on the human warmth that you crave by nature.

My interpretation of the beach scene:
Shinji strangled Asuka to confirm that she was her own self, that the AT fields were back. In a perverse way, he hurt her to be closer to her. And she reciprocated with the most tenderness she'd ever shown anyone. Shinji broke down in tears from realizing that he'd hurt her deeply. And Asuka replied with disgust because they were back to square one: they were still two lonely people who hurt one another whenever they try to get closer.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:30 pm

He had to buy her dinner first.

C.T.1290
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 am

peripateia wrote:And she reciprocated with the most tenderness she'd ever shown anyone

Joseki wrote:Asuka gave him some love for the first time

And how is Asuka even capable of such gestures? I mean, she was never able to show such kindness towards a person before, much less towards Shinji, whom she may have despised before.
Craab People, Craab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. Craab People, Craab People.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”