NGE: SE - Going to try to start writing again...hopefully

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

NGE: SE - Going to try to start writing again...hopefully

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:06 am

NEWS: I've decided to do little editting in chapter 2. There's some stuff I realized that I could add. Nothing big, just two 'scenes'. It won't change the plot or anything, it just gives better insight to what people were thinking after the first attack and the character of Lucas Summers.

HUZZAH! The first chapter is completed! I hope you all enjoy it. Please be kind, I'm sure there are grammar mistakes, but they shouldn't be too large. With out further ado...I present Neon Genesis Evangelion: Sephirot Evolution chapter 1...

1.0 The Beginning of the End

1.1 The Preparations

It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon in San Francisco 2. Boats were speeding out in the harbor, muscular men were picking up women with inflated breasts on the beach and families were enjoying picnics in the parks. There were blues skies and birds singing. It was one of those days that just made you feel good. It was one of those days that put a smile on your face. It was one of those days that you knew couldn’t last forever and in the end would be ruined by a freak rainstorm, or something.

Alert!
Alert!

Suddenly, the message came over everybody’s radios it was the same on all of the stations and all of the frequencies.

Alert! This is not a test! Please move to your designated disaster bunkers!

Repeat! This is not a test! Please move to your designated disaster bunkers!

The city was like a gigantic fortress. The largest buildings, the ones that would cause the most damage if they fell sank in to the ground. These building were on great tracks that traveled straight beneath the earth. Once the city had taken its defensive posture; it appeared, as the center was completely bare. The perfect battlefield, nothing to get in the way.
It was around 01500 hours when the call was put in to the United Nations defense force for assistance from the United States government. Five squadrons of I87 Gullwings were sent.

Gullwings looked to be strange combinations between helicopters and jet fighters. They weren’t nearly as sleek or aerodynamic as the attack fights of old. Gullwings were more like flying tanks. Armed to the teeth with an array of weapons, from mini-guns to missile launchers. Gullwings were also large enough to carry a small deployment of ground troops, as well. Their engines were on axles that allowed for vertical take-off and hovering. Basically, they were the protégé of the Harrier fighters. Gullwings were multipurpose military machines.

On the hills and the coastline, eight squadrons of tanks were set in a defensive position. After such a sudden amount of action, there was a great calm and tension. It seemed as though nothing was going to happen. Everyone was preparing for something big to hit, but where was it?

1.2 The Threat

Suddenly, it appeared, whatever ‘it’ was. It surfaced a few miles off of the coast of San Francisco 2. It was huge, taller than a skyscraper. It’s chest, shoulders and forearms were covered in metallic plating of some kind. The plating on the creature’s fingers formed sharp claws. It didn’t have much of a head. All there was, was a circular metallic mask with two black “eye holes”. It’s body appear to be made of a red, glossy, gelatinous substance. The creature’s legs were extremely skinny. It did not seem physically possible that such large creature could stand on it’s legs. In the center of it’s chest was an orb the seemed to held in place and protected by rib-like protrusions.

The creature moved very fast. Just as it had appeared off of the coast it seems mere seconds before the creature reached the shoreline. On the shore, tanks bombarded it with shells. The gullwings fired at the strange beast at will.

It did not seem worried about these events at all. In fact the creature met them with a certain curiosity to it all. When it realized these strange objects meant to harm it, the creature attacked, very quickly.

The creature reached out to a gullwing and grabbed. It proceeded to throw the gullwing into a second one, which in turn hit a third. Then the creature began to step on the tanks that were nearest to it.

Within seconds most of the defense force sent to combat the strange creature were destroyed. Then the creature began to slowly meander it’s through the area.

“Impossible!” Shouted one of the military suits as they watched the satellite video feed of what was going on. He was a highly decorated balding general. The rest muttered amongst themselves. What were they going to do?

“The subject appears to be nearly immune to our weapons, sir.” Said another man, not as high in ranks as the first. He was a middle-aged man with dark hair that was greased over the top of his head.

“Well, then there is only one thing left to do gentlemen,” The first general began.

“An N^2 mine…” A third man piped in to finish the general’s sentence. His voice trailed off showing that he was not excited at the prospect of using such a weapon of mass destruction.

“There is another way, Gentlemen.” A sly voice came from the shadows.

“Commander Frost!” The first general said in surprise.

Commander Frost, was none other than Samuel Frost. Though to be a mad scientist by some and hailed as a genius by others. Frost was in charge of an organization known a NERV. To the general public the name barely meant anything, but in the upper reaches of the government it was dangerous. No one except for the highest-ranking officials knew anything about the business of NERV. Even then they didn’t know very much of anything. They knew NERV was into making giant humanoid weapons. Few had even seen one in action once or twice, but never in a real combat situation. Everything about NERV and it’s weapon was very hush-hush, which, of course, made it seem very suspicious.

“What the hell are doing here?” The first general demanded in flustered tone.

Frost walked out of the shadows of the doorway. He was a young man in his early forties. Frost’s hair had not yet begun to turn gray, and his face seemed only more defined by the exceedingly few wrinkles it had. These pre-mature wrinkles were in all likeliness due to the stress of his job.

Following Frost on his right side was Steven Monroe, the Vice-Commander of NERV. Monroe had been a colleague of Frost for many years before they were both recruited for NERV. Monroe was only two years younger than Frost, but many considered Monroe to be more intelligent and levelheaded.

“I believe you all know what ‘other way’ I am referring too?” Frost asked calmly, ignoring the general’s question.

“You can’t be serious?” The second general, with the greased over hair, said. “You plan on using a weapon that hasn’t been test for in a combat situation?”

“But it has been tested in many combat situations.” Frost retorted. “NERV has tested its weapon in many combat simulations.”

“Simulations? Has your pilot even seen real combat? How you be sure that he’ll perform the same way?” The second general shouted.

“I have full confidence in my pilot.” Frost said, dodging the question in a way.

“Now is not the time to be arguing!” The first general said to both men. “We have pertinent problem. Whether you agree with us or not Frost, we are still using the N^2 bomb. If, for some reason, this fails, you will be allowed to use your evangelion.” Just speaking its name, ‘evangelion’, sent shivers down the man’s back for some reason.

“Fine.” Frost only spoke one word, then turned around to leave.

At around 01600 hours, one hour after the alert was given to the general populace, a single N^2 bomb was dropped.

The invader looked up at the strange device curiously. Obviously, it was not quite sure what the N^2 bomb was or for that matter what it was capable of. But it realized that it was probably sent to hurt it. The giant bent down and leaped into the air. In mid air the monster grabbed the bomb and tossed like a ball far into the distance.

The N^2 bomb was detonated soon after in the stratosphere. No harm came to any human, or otherwise living creature.

Frost and Monroe walked slowly and silently down the corridor. Uniformed men and women rushed by them. The general atmosphere was tense. In the sheer chaos of the situation two men, Frost and Monroe, move about the hallway traffic calmly and quietly.

“An AT field.” Monroe said solemnly to break the silence between the two men. “Conventional weapons would stand a chance against anything with an AT field.”

“Yes.” Replied Frost. “These people have no idea what they’re up against.”

“Do you think an N^2 bomb will work?” Monroe asked, though he already knew the answer.

“No, not completely at least. I fear that it would only slow it down.” Frost replied, with the correct answer.

“Commander Frost, sir!” shouted a voice from behind the two men.

Frost and Monroe stop and turned to see a young man in his mid twenties pushing his way through people to catch up to them. When he finally arrived he was out of breath. The young officer was doubled over for a few moments. Frost wait politely as the man took in gaping breaths of air. When the young officer finally caught his breath he saluted Frost and then Monroe.

“We aren’t part of the military,” Frost told him. “You don’t have to salute us.”

The young officer ignored the statement and said, “The committee asks for your presence, sirs.”

“Lead the way.” Frost told the young officer. Frost and Monroe followed the man as he rushed off back in the direction from where he came.

“Looks like the old men finally reconsidered.” Monroe whispered with a bit of smile on his face.

“Surprisingly it didn’t take that long at all.” Frost commented.

“I wonder what got them to change their minds?” Monroe said. His comment finished the conversation.

1.3 The Counter-maneuver

“These are reconnaissance photos of the creature that has been designated as an angel.” Director of Operations Lucas Summers explained to everyone in the briefing room as he flipped through the pictures on the projector. The word ‘Malkut’ was printed in white on the bottom-center of the each picture.

The room was rather small. The seats were arranged as a movie theater, in a descending angle until it reaches five feet from the projection screen. Five people were watching Summers’ presentation; the pilot of the evangelion, the three lieutenants of operations, and the chief of research and development for NERV.

“From the military reports, we found that this angel has very specific manipulation of its AT field. The best way o explain I would be to say that this angel a limited range telekinesis.” Summers explained. “I find the best plan of assault would be to attack the angel from behind. Unfortunately, in this situation we do not have the advantage of surprise.” Summers’ continued this time he spoke to the pilot directly, “You will have to grapple with the angel. Nullify its AT field and throw it around to it off balance. Then finish it off. Everyone, to your positions.”

The pilot, Benjamin Logan, sat alone on bench in the locker room. The only noise he could hear was the hum of the lights and his own breathing. He sat there alone and thought about his situation.

I’m sixteen-years-old and I have to save the world. That’s my job, it’s what I do, hell, I even get paid for it. Not well, but money is still money.
I never thought I’d actually have to fight. But here am in my plug-suit, ready to charge into combat against an enemy I barely know anything about.

I’m nervous. Well, That’s an understatement, I’m ready to piss myself.

I wish I were normal. I wish I didn’t have to do this. I wish I had a cigarette…

Unfortunately, I know better. I won’t be getting any of those things right now.

I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do. I mustn’t run away…

The entry plug was where Ben piloted the eva. It looked like a big pipe that was closed off and rounded at the ends. The inside didn’t look like much. There was a nice seat that had a control panel, and two joystick-like controllers for easier hand articulation.

It didn’t take much to pilot a giant robot surprisingly. There weren’t many levers or on-board computers or anything like that in the entry-plug. Most of the piloting was done by the pilot’s brain rather than computers.

An eva pilot is hooked directly to the eva thanks to two small transmitting devices that are attached to the pilot’s head. These devices create a conduit, called the synchronization ratio, or synch ratio for short, directly into the pilot’s brain. The synch ratio also measured how well the pilot could control the eva, the higher the synch ratio the better the control. Unfortunately, this did have its drawbacks. Particularly, the pilot felt everything that was happening to his eva. If the eva were damaged, the pilot would feel a sensation where the eva was damaged, but also to the same extent as the eva.

In reality, ‘giant robot’ wasn’t the right term for an evangelion. The eva was actually a cyborg creature. Ben knew this, but he didn’t know how the eva was created. He just knew his job was to pilot it, not to ask questions.

“How are doing Ben?” The Director of Operations, Lucas Summers, asked the pilot.

Summers’ voice came over crystal-clear on the speakers inside the entry plug. But before Ben had a chance to reply another voice came over in the plug, “Flooding entry plug with LCL.” It was the voice of Martina Kent, one of the Lieutenants of Operations. She and the other two Lieutenants were subordinates of Summers’.

The entry plug began to fill with the LCL liquid. Ben hated it, even though he had gone through it since he was very young, but he was scared of drowning. LCL was a necessary component because it completed that incorporeal synchronization conduit.

“It smells like blood.” Ben muttered, hoping that the people on the control bridge couldn’t hear that. He took one deep breath and swallowed the LCL. Ben breathed in and out normally.

Connecting to power source.
Transmitting power to all circuits.
Connection to A10-nerve operational.
Connecting mutual lines.

Suddenly, there was a flash of light in entry plug. Then the bright white split into different colors and patterns, then finally it when black. The heads-up cameras were activated and the different video feeds were sent into four different screens in the entry plug.

“What is Ben’s synch ratio?” Asked Doctor Carolina Drake, the head of research and development at NERV-US. She was the one who helped design and develop the evangelion. If anyone knew the secrets of the eva it was Carolina Drake.

“It’s holding at 50%.” Said Andrew Grey, another one of the Lieutenants.

“Good.” Doctor Drake replied.

“Okay, start removing the locks and then the umbilical bridge!” Summers’ commanded.

It took a few moments before the eva was securely on the launch pad.

“Clear the launch bay.” Summers ordered over the mike in the control bridge to anyone who still might be there. “Open the launch gates.” He commanded, and it was done. The situation was tense. It was the first time that an evangelion was going to be launched into a combat sortie.

“Is this the moment you dreamed of? Is this your imagination taken shape, taken flesh?” Vice-commander Monroe whispered to Commander Frost. Both were sitting in seats that were located on a balcony that over looked the entire command bridge.

“Yes. This is the beginning of my closure.” Frost replied.

From below the balcony on the command bridge Summers shouted, “Launch the evangelion!”

It was done. The eva shot upwards to the surface of the city at an insane speed. A port opened in the ground and the eva reached surface. There were many of these placed around the city to allow the eva easy access to different areas.

Out a little further the angel, Malkut, was finishing off the last of military defense. Ben saw the angel moving, destroying, killing, and whatever anxiety he had before had just more than doubled. His heart began to beat faster and his breathing increased.

What was he doing here? His mind was finally hit with the recoil and gravity of the situation.

What am I doing here?

Really, what the fuck was I thinking?

I’m just a kid! I’m supposed to save the world from that! This is bullshit. Now I really wished I had a cigarette.

Christ, I’m going to die. I am going to die in this goddamn ugly beast. This demon in angel’s clothing!

“Ben! Ben! Focus. Now, isn’t the time to be freaking out. You’ve know how to pilot, now do your job.” Summers shout over the on-board speakers. For a few moments his only reply was heavy breathing.

“Lucas, I’m going to be very frank with you, okay?” Ben asked. He didn’t care about formalities. He didn’t care that he should have addressed his guardian as ‘Major Summers’ or a least ‘sir’. “Freaking out…is a goddamn understatement! I’m ready to piss myself! Right now, that fight or flight mechanism has kicked in and I’m ready to run!” His words echo over the speakers on the command bridge.

“There’s no running Ben. You can’t run away from destiny.” Replied Frost calmly from his balcony seat. “You will fight or will die. If you fail humanity is doomed.”

There was no reply. The angel had spotted Ben before he could have given one. Now, both the angel and the eva were caught in a headlong rush towards one another.

Once, Ben got within range the angel manipulated its AT field to deliver a telekinetic slam. The force of the blow almost knocked the wind out of his chest and sent him flying backwards.

The eva hit the ground hard. Ben felt his back crack. The next thing Ben saw was the angel in mid-air and falling fast towards him. Ben got his eva to kick upwards just in time to catch the angel off guard. The eva’s feet connected with the angel’s chest and sent it to ground. With momentum from the kick Ben got his eva back on its feet.

The angel was back on its feet, as well, before Ben could have taken advantage. Both of the giants went into another charge. During the burst of speed Ben’s left hand shifted to the on-board computer. He typed like mad, entering equations and algorithms in an attempt to disable the angel’s AT field.

If he could just match the frequency of the eva’s AT field to that of the angel’s then that would allow him to do more damage. But if their frequencies matched then the angel could also do more damage to the eva.

Ben’s hand back to the joystick. When the angel got within the right distance Ben flung his eva’s arms foreword. There was a bit of resistance as the eva’s hands hit the angel’s AT field. But it shattered like a glass wall between the two giant combatants. Their hands locked together in a grapple.

Ben suddenly gained the advantage by knocking the angel to ground. Ben held one of the angel’s hands down as he slammed his eva’s fist repeatedly into the angel’s face.

Whatever advantage Ben hand was lost when the angel found enough strength to bring its loose hand around the eva’s neck. Its grip was so tight that Ben had to stop his attack. Then the angel brought its other hand around the eva’s neck. It was now under control in this battle.
Ben felt the pressure around his neck. As the angel squeezed the eva’s neck harder Ben felt the pressure around his neck increase.

“Break the circuits!” Lucas shouted. “It’s choking him to death break the circuits now!”

“Sir! The synchograph…it’s reversing!” said Lieutenant Grey.

“The circuits, sir, they’re not responding.” Said Evan McCoy, the third Lieutenant of the control bridge crew.

“That’s it! Eject the plug!” Lucas commanded.

“We can’t, sir! The systems aren’t responding.” Lieutenant Kent replied.
Anxiety and had reached its peak on the bridge. How was Ben supposed to get out of this situation?

The evangelion fell limp on to the ground. The angel’s grip only tightened as the eva became weaker. It was determined to kill it opponent with no mercy.

The cameras were disabled. Ben had no idea what was going on. But he did know one thing. He was dying. This was the end of his life. Ben didn’t want to die in the darkness of the entry plug, but it wasn’t like he had much of a choice.

1.4 “I have to fight…”

I knew I was going to die…

Why did it have to be like this?

There’s some much I haven’t been able to experience. Like what?

Like, a family.

No mother, no father and no love. Poor child, all alone in this world. No one to take care of him.

I realized I could take care of myself since I was eight.

Sure, Lucas is a great guy. And when I was young he looked after me. Made sure I was safe.

But by the time I was ten I was so independent he treated me more like an adult than a child. I remember when the nights when he wouldn’t come home, then return the next day, wearing the same clothes he wore the night before, looking like he had been through hell, and smelling of liquor.
He wasn’t abusive, though. He was always good-natured around me, even when he was drunk or had a hangover. If one of his women did something “inappropriate” around me, he would kick her out so fast…

Andrew, Evan and Martina. I remember when I would call them uncle and aunt respectively, of course. It was Andrew that helped me with my math and science homework. Evan…well, he always gave great advice about everything, really. Martina would spoil me, she used to buy me ice-cream after I finished my harmonics tests. It was actually, one of Martina’s ex-boyfriends that taught me how to play the guitar.

I guess I do have a family.

I have people to fight for, people to protect.

I have to fight…

“We’ve lost him.” Lieutenant Kent said. “I’m not reading any vital signs from the plug.”

Summers shuttered at the thought of Ben’s death. He had promised to take care of him. But there was nothing he could do now. It was over the world was coming to an end.

“This is odd.” Commented Lieutenant Grey. Lucas looked towards Andrew’s console. “I’m still getting reading of a synch ratio. All the circuits have been broken, and even synchograph is completely reversed, but I’m still reading synch ratio.”

Lucas walked over to Lieutenant Grey. Standing over him with one hand on the back of the Lieutenant’s chair and then other on the Lieutenant’s desk Lucas asked, “Is that even possible?” He then looked back at Doctor Drake with a quizzical expression on his face.

Doctor also walked up to Lieutenant Grey’s console, she took a look at the readings. “No this isn’t right, this monitor show the pilots current synch ratio. If he were dead then the ratio would be at zero. Thus I can only come to two conclusions, either this monitor is broken or the pilot is still alive.”

Their conversation was cut short when the whole building shook as if an explosion hit it. The angel was making a direct attack.

“I’ll kill it! I’ll fight!” Ben shouted from inside the entry plug. “Now move, you goddamn piece of crap!” And it did, the evangelion moved. Ben clenched its fist.

The power returned to the evangelion. All of the cameras were re-activated. It could move. Ben got the eva to get to its feet. Then he charged. Ben removed the progressive knife from the eva’s shoulder holster.

The progress knife was the only weapon that was actually stored inside the evangelion. It was called the prog knife, for short. The molecules that made up the blade of the prog knife vibrated at an ultra-high frequency. This allowed it to cut at the molecular level, making it a very dangerous weapon.

“What the hell?” Lieutenant Grey sputtered.

“What?” asked Lucas, who was still standing over Lieutenant Grey. “What’s going on Andrew?”

“Sir, the pilot’s synch ratio just jumped from 50% to 73%! The synchograph is even re-harmonizing!” Lieutenant Grey replied.

Doctor Drake quickly checked over Lieutenant McCoy’s console, “But the circuit’s are still broken! This isn’t possible!”

“What’s going on?” Lucas asked himself.

There was quake. It was stronger than the first one. The angel was getting closer.

“I’ll kill you!” shouted Ben from inside the entry plug.

The eva leapt into the air. It sounded a terrible roar. From its back unfurled a pair of giant wings. The eva came down on the angel like a raptor coming down in its prey. Ben stabbed the angel in the back of the neck with the prog knife. The eva’s two massive wings covered what happened from anyone who might have been watching.

When it stood up again, the eva let out another roar and stretched its wings out in victory. The evangelion’s body and wings were covered in the blood of the mutilated angel. There was barely anything left of the angel designated as Malkut, just blood and hacked up body parts.

The eva sunk to its knees, the battle was finally over.
Last edited by Karma Burn on Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:34 am

Hey Karma Burn,really great job.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:58 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it Seventh. I just with MORE people would give some feed back.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:14 pm

Long post... so tired. I'll give ya some feedback later Karma.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:39 pm

It's good.

I'm glad you followed through with your U.S. NERV idea! :D

Keep working to develop the story and I think you'll have a hot fic on your hands!

Ganbatte!
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:43 pm

I trust this is only a first draft?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:54 pm

Basically, yes it is a first draft. I posted this when I was finished typing it. I really didn't go through and look for mistakes. I just wanted people's opinions. When I get go through it and look for grammatical errors I'll fix them. But I won't be changing the content unless I see a absolute need to.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:44 am

cool! like how gendo's character has a name that suits his personality...
must have been a lot of work...

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:25 am

On the subject of the names, some of you should recognize the last names of each of the main characters. If you don't, it's okay, but as fiction progresses it should become more appearant. Bonus points to who ever can figure them out. Though, you won't be able to yet because I haven't introduced all of the characters. :twisted:

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:39 am

the names? i dont recognize them...are they scrambled?

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:50 am

:twisted: No, the names are not scrambled. I won't give it anything away until somebody has some semblence of what the are. I suppose I've wasted my little puzzle here, you guys/gals are into Japanese nerd culture, think more like an american nerd.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:18 pm

Chapter 2 progresses very slowly. But it will soon be finished. With the introduction of some new characters you might be able to figure out my little game. Remember only main characters follow the pattern.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:51 pm

2.0 A Return to Normality

2.1 Strange Room

“Where am I?” Ben asked himself.

He lay in a bed in the medical ward of the NERV-US complex. The room was washed in a blue light due to the sunlight being filter through the blue curtains of the room. Different bouquets of “get-well-soon” flowers were lying about. They were probably from everyone around the control bridge.

Everything felt dulled and, yet, sharper at the same time. It was probably just from the meds wearing off. Yes, it was the same feeling that he had felt many times before. This wasn’t the first that Ben had been hospitalized due to some eva-related incident.

Ben reached up into in the air. He put his hand in juxtaposition with the fluorescent light, which was currently off. He moved each one of his fingers, then balled his hand into a fist.

“Heh, I’m still alive.” He said to himself. The memories had not come back yet. Maybe they never would. Ben still had a good concept of what had happened.

“So, how’s the pilot?” Doctor Drake asked. She was walking down a hallway with Major Summers. In her hands was a pile of papers. All of them were read-outs and data from the sortie from the day before.

“He has a name.” Major Summers said. He was a little irritated that Drake had referred to Ben as ‘the pilot’, like he was some sort of tool.

“I’m sorry. How’s Ben?” Carolina asked.

“He’s fine. The doctor says that he’s conscious. I’m going to visit him later” Lucas replied.

“That good. I’m surprised he’s awake after one day.” Carolina said with genuine surprise. “His brain took quite a beating.”

“You don’t think he’s brain damaged do you?” Summers asked.

“No, I don’t think so. The brain case of the eva is fine. Ben was probably suffering from shock. A real battle affects the brain in a very different way than a simulation.”

“You mean like shell shock?” Summers was starting to get a little nervous.

“Not as severe. I don’t think he’ll have any flashbacks in the middle of school and start killing people.”

“Do you think that we should keep him out of school for a day or two?”

“It depends on how he’s feeling. By the way, I skimmed through the battle data and I’d like to have Ben do a synch ratio test as soon as possible.”

“Why? I think we should give him a break from doing anything related with the eva for a few days. You know, let him readjust himself to the world.”

“I agree, but during the sortie there was a spike in his synch ratio. I want to check if his ratio has actually gone up, or if the battle affected it, or just to check if the synchronization graph is malfunctioning. I’d still like t do the test as soon as possible.”

“Fine, I’ll tell him.” With that Major Summers and Doctor Drake went on to talk about “lighter” topics as they continued down the hall way together.

There was knock on the door at Ben’s room in the medical ward.

“Yes? Come in.” Ben replied.

The door slowly opened to reveal Lucas Summers. “How ya doing kid?” Lucas greeted him. He had a smile on his face. Lucas was glad to see that Ben was awake.

“I’m fine right now. When do I get to get of this place?” Ben asked.

“By the end of the day.” Lucas replied. “They treating you well in this place?”

“I’ve barely been awake enough to know the difference.” Ben said with a laugh.

There was a ringing of a cell phone. “Looks like I gotta go kid. See you later.”

“Who’s that? One of your loose women?” Ben asked.

Lucas shrugged off Ben’s comment. He left feeling as though he had forgotten to tell Ben something important. But what was it?

2.2 The City Train

“Late! Late! Late! Shit, I’m late!” Ben shouted to himself as he ran to the train station. He pushed through the morning crowd of business suits, cubical jockeys, and high-power executives.

Ben lived in the inner city of San Francisco 2 because that’s were NERV-US head quarters was located. His school was in the middle city area, not quite the suburbs but pretty close. That meant that he had to take the city train to get to school. Lucas tried to drive him a few times but the morning gridlock was so bad that he was always late. The train was the fastest way to get there. At the station he was always met by his friend, Jason Parker, together the two of them would walk the rest of the way.

Luckily, Ben made it just in time to catch the train. This train was usually very empty. Usually, people went into the city to work. So, most of this train was filled with people who where coming back from the night shift at where ever they worked. There was an abundance of places to sit but Ben saw Martina Kent sitting near the back of the car. She looked half-asleep.
Martina wasn’t wearing her NERV-US uniform. Wearing it in public was considered a security breach.

Ben walked to the seat adjacent to hers and sat down. She didn’t notice him.

“Hey, Martina!” Ben said.

The tired woman let out a bit of a yelp. Obviously, his greeting had caught her off guard. She took in a breath, “Oh, Ben. I didn’t notice you.”

“I realized that. Why are you on this train? They didn’t send you to follow me to school, did they?” Ben asked. It was an honest question; it wouldn’t have been the first time NERV-US sent someone to baby sit him.

“No. Don’t worry about that Ben. I actually live in the outer city. I had the late shift last night, so I’m going home to sleep. A very, very long time” Martina replied with a yawn.

Ben looked at her in an accusing, but joking manner, “I believe you, only because you look far too tired to follow me around all day.”

“So, I take it you’re going to school?” She asked.

“Yeah. Looks like the adventure’s over.” Ben replied. He liked to refer piloting the eva as his great “adventure”.

Martina leaned her back, resting it against the window and closed her eyes to protect them from the abusive sun. “How about your homework? Did you finish it?” She asked with a smirk on her face. Martina had a good idea of what the answer was.

Ben’s eyes widened. “Fuck! I can’t believe I forgot! I can save the planet but when it comes history homework I’m complete waste.” He didn’t care who heard him. How many people would actually believe that a sixteen-year-old piloted a giant robot, or whatever the eva was?

Martina just laughed. Their conversation carried on to more normal topics. It had been along time since she had a normal conversation with Ben. Normal conversations were the kind that didn’t include the words like ‘eva’, ‘NERV-US’, ‘angel’ and the like. She enjoyed hearing about Ben’s life.

Truthfully, she felt little sorry for Ben. He had lost his parents at a young age and had to save the world by piloting a giant cyborg. How could anyone relate to that stress? But Lucas did a good job raising him to be a responsible, intelligent, mature, young adult.

Martina had noticed early on that Ben wasn’t like the other kids, his quieter and introspective. Then again, he didn’t lead the most normal life.

The train came to a stop. The conductor’s voice came over the speaker system, “Shady Grove Station, we have reached Shady Grove Station.”
“Well this is my stop.” Ben said. He got up and headed towards the open doors. “Well, see you later Martina.” He said as he stepped out. She replied by waving to him.

Ben got no more than two steps off of the train when he was met face to face with his friend Jason Parker. Jason was the band’s bassist, he was funny guy. He was easy-going and never let life get him down.

“Who was that?” He asked almost accusingly.

2.3 The Walk to School

“Who was who?” Ben replied. “Jeez, I don’t even get ‘yo what’s up’? It’s just right to the questions.” Ben said as he started the trek to school.

“Who was ‘Martina’?” Jason asked, following him.

“Oh, her! She’s just a…uhhhh…she’s a co-worker.” Ben said. He wasn’t lying, Martina technically was a co-worker. Ben just wasn’t being specific.

“Right whatever.” Jason replied. He didn’t completely believe Ben; but then again Ben was just being Ben. He had always been secretive about his job, and the strange people he knew. So Jason just let it slide. “So what that monster attack, eh? My family had to go to the shelter. I guess we were pretty close to the action because it was shaking pretty bad. What about you Ben?”

“Oh, I was at work. We were all caught off guard by it so we went to the basement. Luckily, we weren’t near the battle because nothing really happened.”

“Woah! You lucky dog, didja actually see it? Didja see the evangelion? We had to wait a whole hour in the shelter while they took the evangelion back to NERV-US.”

“Are kidding?” Ben said with a chuckle. “Nobody at work moved until we got the okay over the loud speakers.”

“There you go again being same old responsible Ben.” Jason said as he shook his head in disappointment. “You had the chance to catch glimpse of our ‘ultimate fighting weapon’, but you wussed out.”

“Well, someone has to be.” Ben said. “Without me the band would go no where! Besides that I could have died!”

Jason laughed, “Yeah, your probably right. But I did get to see the corpse of the monster. It was huge! I wonder why it attacked? What does it have against us?”

Ben shook his head, “Who knows.”

For rest of the walk the two friends talked about the attack and its aftermath. They compared stories internet rumors and the like. Apparently, there was a rumor going around the net that Japan had suffered two attacks from these angels. But the strange thing was the rumor said Japan had an evangelion of its own! Ben wasn’t quite sure what to think of the rumor, but quickly dismissed it as fallacy.

2.4 The Phone That Wasn’t Supposed to Ring

History class took place right before lunch. The excitement of the weekend had yet to die down. Multitudes of rumors floated around about all subjects that had to do with the angel, the eva and battle.

Some classmates claimed that the government created the angel but it got loose, so the eva was sent to destroy it. They believed that the battle on Saturday wasn’t going to be the last.

Ben overheard a group of girls in the corner discussing the pilot. One of them claimed that pilot went to the school, but the others were quick to laugh it off. If they only knew the truth, what would they say then? After the girl’s claim was dismissed the group began to dream up what the pilot might look like. Ben wasn’t sure whether to feel honored or insulted. The man they described looked nothing like him!

“Can you believe these people?” Timothy Rasputin, another friend of Ben’s, said from the desk behind him. He sounded a little perturbed. Tim was good singer, amazing guitarist in his own right, and a lyrical genius, but he easily annoyed by people.

“Huh? What do you mean Tim?” Ben asked him.

“Instead approaching this from an intellectual manner, all the can to is spread rumors and talk about gossip!” Tim said.

“Tim, how long have you been alive? How long have you been around other people” Ben asked. Tim just audibly sighed, “Yeah, you’ve already made you point…”

“Many times before.” Ben finished Tim’s sentence. “I don’t know why you get yourself worked up over these things? They’re just people, they’re going to be stupid no matter what.”

The bell rang to signal the start of the class.

Ben’s history teacher, Mrs. Mellony, walked into the room moments after the bell rang.

“So, who had an interesting weekend?” She asked the class. Many of the students began to talk at once. “Now, I’m sure many of you would like to spend this entire period talking about what happened, and your crazy theories on why it happened. But we can’t afford to do that, since we are behind as it is.” The response was an audible groan from nearly everybody in the class. “Well, we’ll see at the end of the class, because it probably was history in the making.”

As Mrs. Mellony instructed the class took out their notes from Friday and began writing as she talked. They were learning about the reconstruction period after the Civil War. That was how it went, until a phone started ringing.

Everyone abruptly stopped what he or she was doing. “Whose phone is that?” Mrs. Mellony demanded. “Everyone knows they aren’t supposed to have cell phones in school.” But it wasn’t like anybody followed that rule anyways.

The students who had their cell phones checked to see if it was theirs that was ringing. About twelve different people responded with, “It’s not mine” or some extent of that.

“Well, it must be somebody’s.” Mrs. Mellony said.

Ben felt a sinking feeling in his chest, just as he was sinking in his seat. He gulped and reached into his pocket. Ben removed the cell phones from his pants and looked see who was calling. It was Lucas. Ben’s classmates looked nearly stunned, he was the last person they expected to receive a phone call in the middle of class. What made them more surprised was that he actually answered the call.

“Yeah? What’s up?” Ben asked.

There was a muffled comment coming from the other side. It was Lucas calling to remind Ben that there was a synch test scheduled for Wednesday.

“Uh huh, thanks for telling me.” Ben said in monotone. “Do you know where am right now?”

There was a bit of silence and then shorter muffled sound.

“No, I’m actually in History class right now.” Ben said.

More silence and then what might been a ‘really’.

“Yeah, really. Thanks a lot. But I’ve got to go, you know the learning process and all.” Ben hung up the phone and looked up at Mrs. Mellony, who was fuming.

“What was that?” She demanded, nearly screaming.

“That,” Ben paused. There was no way anyone was going to believe what he was going to say, even if it was the truth. “Was a top secret conversation. If reveal the contents of said conversation, I would become a security risk. Therefore, getting me into a lot of trouble with my superiors. Not mention, anyone who might have heard what I said about said conversation would be visited by two or three large men in suits tonight. Sorry, that’s protocol.”

“Really? And who are your superiors?” Mrs. Mellony asked. She didn’t believe a word of Ben’s excuse.

“I’m sorry but I cannot revel the identity of my superiors. That would make me a security risk. But I can give you my phone, since I know your going to take I away.”

“Wouldn't that be security risk?”

“No, the phone is custom modified. I have caller ID but the phone doesn’t save the phone numbers that call me.”

It was finally Ben’s lunch period. He was tired of hearing about the battle. He was tired of hearing his classmates’ moronic theories. He just wanted everything to go back to normal. But that little voice of rationality in the back of his head said that normality would be impossible from now on. Change was imminent.

It was a good day, so Ben decided to have lunch outside in the school’s courtyard. The courtyard had great view of the ocean. This was good because the ocean was always calming to Ben.

No sooner had he sat down at the circular, concrete table than Tim Rasputin appeared from the crowd. He sat down and the two began to have a conversation about their new song’s lyrics.

Minutes into the conversation another person sat down at Ben’s table and began to eat her lunch. The girl’s was Emily Braddock. She was a chubby, yet voluptuous girl in love with all things black. Some might have described her as a goth due to her style of clothing, but she really wasn’t that depressing of a person. Emily was Ben’s best confidante. They had been friends since they were young. She knew everything about Ben, except when it came to his “job”.

“Benjamin Logan, I can’t believe you!” Emily said.

Ben and Tim turned away from each other and looked at Emily. “Huh? What can’t you believe?” Ben asked, knowing full well what she was referring to. He hated it when Emily used his full name, it usually meant he had done something wrong.

“History class! What did you think I was talking about?” She exclaimed.

“People know about that already?” Ben asked.

“Yeah! Gossip spreads fast around here, especially when it’s about someone as weird as you.” Emily said.

“How he pulled that bullshit off was pretty amazing.” Tim added.

“So it’s true? Your cell phone actually went off in the middle of history class, and you played it off as some ‘top secret’ BS?” Emily asked, she wanted to make sure that rumors were actually true.

Before Ben could answer he a large hand come down and pat his back. “Alright, man! I heard you grew a spine today!” Daniel Marko said to congratulate his friend as he occupied the last seat at the table.

Dan was the drummer in Ben’s band. He was also a thick black man, with large hands and feet. Dan looked like someone you wouldn’t want to pick a fight with unless you had some sort of weapon, like a baseball bat or gun.

Ben sighed, “Can we change the subject?”

“So it’s true?” Dan asked.

“Yes! It’s true! Now can move on to another subject?” Ben exclaimed.

“Okay, okay. Fine, we’ll talk about something else.” Emily said. What followed was an uneasy silence among the four friends at the table. “So, uhhh, what about the dance on Friday?”

“Yeah, what about the dance?” Tim asked.

“Why do we go to those, again?” Ben asked.

“We go to make sure that the loser populace of George Washington High School is properly represented.” Emily said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Oh, okay.” Dan replied with scathing sarcasm.

2.5 Never a Good Thing

The soothing sounds of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons washed over the command bridge and the entry plug. It was tradition to play Four Seasons during the synch tests.

“How are you doing in there, Ben?” Doctor Drake asked Ben. The video feed from the entry plug showed Ben with his eyes closed and at peace.

“Same as always when I do these tests, Doctor. Bored.” Ben replied, not even opening his eyes.

“How’s the pilot’s synch ratio?” Drake asked Lieutenant Grey.

“It holding steady at 71%.” Lieutenant Grey replied.

“It seems to have gone down 2%.” Doctor Drake thought out loud.

“Is that normal?” Major Summers asked.

“If your asking whether it’s normal for a pilot synch ratio to go down, then yes, it is normal. But making a large jump like Ben did during the battle is theoretically impossible. A pilot’s synch ratio is only supposed to increase slowly over a period of time. No more than 2% per month. That was our original projection.” The doctor said informing Summers.

“What do you supposed caused that jump?” Summers asked.

“It could have his near-death state while fighting Malkut. That may have allowed him to…” Doctor Drake trailed off. “But like I said it’s theoretically impossible.”

“I don’t like those words together.” Major Summers said. Doctor Drake gave him a look of confusion. “Theoretically impossible. Those words don’t sound good when they come my ears.” His statement was meant by another look. “Remember those Sci-fi movies we used to watch when we were dating. In almost all of them the scientist character would say an event is ‘theoretically impossible’, and then next thing you know the damn thing happens. Saying something is ‘theoretically impossible’ is never a good thing.”

“But this is a good thing.” Doctor Drake said. “Even if it doesn’t make any sense it’s still a good thing.” Major Summers returned Drake’s confused expressions to her. “It means that the pilot has better control over the eva. For you, it doesn’t matter how the synch ratio increases, all that matters, is it does increase.”

“But what about for you?” Summers asked.

“That matters for me, because it’s my job.” Doctor Drake replied. When Summers tried to ask what she meant, she didn’t reply and he gave up.

2.6 Of Project Eden

Finally, it was the end of the week. It had been a busy week for Commander Samuel Frost. He was ready for a bit of a break.

Commander Frost was reviewing the update on Project Eden when Vice-Commander Monroe entered the Frost’s office.

Frost’s office was huge. It could have easily fit many smaller offices with desks inside or even a few large meeting tables. But there was only one small desk at the very back of the room. On either side of Frost’s desk was a wall of windows. The floor was cover with black marble tiles. The ceiling was a covered in black marble, but it also had the ten sephirot in white marble than was cut into the black. The lights looked like the Hebrew letters that were part of the spehirot map.

Monroe never understood why one man needed such a huge room for an office. Frost thought it was classy.

“I see you’re reading the newest report from Project Eden.” Monroe commented. Frost nodded slowly in agreement, he was only half-listening. “How are the Brits handling it?”

Frost looked up, “The report says everything is on schedule.”

Monroe chuckled, “Yeah right, like they have anything running smoothly.”

“I agree with you. They probably lying.” Frost said.

“Isn’t next week the drop off?” Monroe asked wanting to confirm he had his facts straight.

“Yes. Do you think they are going to make it?”

“No, not in the…” Monroe started, but was cut short.

Frost’s secretary appeared in the doorway. She approached the desk rather hurried. “Sir,” She said. “There is young boy to see you.”

“Fine, fine send him in.” Frost said with a smile on his face. He knew why teenager was here. Frost liked to indulge himself on Fridays. It had become sort of a tradition. Even a morale booster.

“I’ll leave, sir.” Monroe said turning away from Frost’s desk.

“No, it’s alright, stay.”

“Really sir, I’m fine.”

“Come on Monroe. You know you want to.”

“Fine, I’ll have some sir.”

The teenager was dressed a pizza delivery boy. He was carrying large red box. When he finally made it to Frost’s desk he said, “That’ll be $15.34”

Frost laughed, “You’re joking. You’re seven minutes late, I’m not paying.”

“But, it takes two minutes to make it to your desk.” The boy said defensively.

“You know the policy! You should have moved faster. You know running.” Frost said devilishly.

“Fine.” The delivery boy said indignantly. He took the pizza out of the thermal box and left.

“Sir, you never cease to amaze me.” Monroe said.

“What?” Frost asked as he opened the first box of pizza

“It’s amazing the kid made it up here and you won’t even pay him the money.” Monroe was amazed.

“Hell no! I’m not going to pay him. He was late.” Frost replied.

“Excuse me for one moment, sir.” Monroe said. Frost nodded. He ran after the delivery boy. “Hey! Kid!” He shouted.

The delivery boy turnaround a Monroe reached in to his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. “Here.” Monroe gave the kid a twenty-dollar bill. “Keep the change.” He said as he went back into Frost’s office to enjoy the Friday pizza.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:13 am

LOL!!!! i thought you meant....yeah...Rei's side job, as ritsuko's night life...
good..i like it..

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:38 am

It's very good.Especially the part with the "four seasons" was pretty cool.Keep the good job Karma. :wink:

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:21 am

Thanks for the compliments.

i thought you meant....yeah...Rei's side job, as ritsuko's night life...

Sadsadshinji...what are you trying to say?

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:50 pm

Come on! Where are the rest of the comments, opinions, and questions? Don't leave me hanging here! I know people have read chapter 2! Why are you people too lazy to comment?

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Yeah, we are lazy.

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:46 pm

Most of us are to lazy to both read that long a post and then comment on it.

Even me at 1:56 A.M.

Thanks for the kick in the nads. :D

I like it. A American NERV.
Who knows, Karma burn, you might just get me excited about a westernized Evangelion live action movie.

It's good. I say you right the first drafts here (like you are) and then tweak em, and put up a site for them or at least put them on Evafics.org
They are good.

Keep it up. I can't wait to see what Asuka is going to be like.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:23 am

Most of us are to lazy to both read that long a post and then comment on it.

That's really, pretty terrible.

It's good. I say you right the first drafts here (like you are) and then tweak em, and put up a site for them or at least put them on Evafics.org

I couple days ago I had strange fantasy of asking Eva Monkey to host the story when it was finished. Maybe even have Nephilim draw the evas and the characters... :lol: ...hopefully...maybe...in the future... But not until the project was really underway...I don't consider two chapters to be 'really underway' by the way.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:20 pm

You know, lazies, you don't have to read it while you're online. You ever hear of a thing called Wordpad? Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, badda-bing, badda-boom, you got somethin' to read on your lunchbreak.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Fanfiction”