Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:but why do the fanboys always have to use the black girl as the scape goat for all of that

I fully denounce & despise the harassment.
That being said the reasons she is being focused on are...
1.) Her features are rather old and strong for Starfire who traditionally is severely soft faced & adorable.
2.) Her outfit design is arguably the most divergent from the character, the cheapest looking and unquestionably the biggest disappointment visually which is genuinely baffling considering how nearly perfect & well crafted Robin, Hawk & Dove look. The wig especially is trash.
Like would the following in dark crimson (and longer) really have been that bloody hard?
SPOILER: Show

3.) Her getup GENUINELY looks weirdly prostitute-ish. Not because of the cleavage because believe me I strongly want Starfire to be sexualized but because of the fake ass wig, the random fur coat, the lack of ANYTHING that makes her look alien or unique body wise, outfit wise or technology wise.

90% of the complaints would stop if they just officially state that she will get a faithful design later on and the CGI isn't done or something. The fact that they haven't suggest this is really what they intended to give us. :facepalm:

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, but the new trailer for Sony's Venom movie dropped two days ago.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/venom-trai ... 202437182/

On the one hand, it's great to have a full look at the Symbiote for the first time and see what it can do. I was afraid they weren't going to show Venom actually doing much in this movie, but it seems those fears have been put to rest. On the other hand, hearing Tom Hardy say "like a turd in the wind" kind of works against the whole horror angle they seem to have been going for.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am

I hope this situation is essentially the opposite of Suicide Squad and the suits brought in a trailer editing company to make advertisements for the film that portray it as a serious action-horror with themes of battling one's inner demons, when it's actually a ludicrous horror comedy about an incompetent "reporter" and an alien slime trying desperately to be a superhero and spectacularly failing.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 pm

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers ... re-a162793

The Oscars are undergoing some major changes as it's been announced today that the awards ceremony will now run for three hours with many categories presented in commercial breaks and highlights from those then shown later in the show. That's no big deal, right? Sure, it's a departure from what we're used to but is what many award shows do and a clever way to combat rating woes.

Here's where things get really interesting, though; according to an official statement, the Academy "will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film." In other words, "popular" movies like Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and, uh, Fast and Furious will finally be acknowledged but as good as it will be to see movies like that win an Oscar, there is a catch of sorts.

Doing this essentially allows the Oscars to remain as pretentious as ever, with a release like Black Panther forced out of the "Best Picture" category because they simply don't want to recognise a mainstream movie like that (which has just as much artistic merit as many of the other nominated movies no one cares about or sees). So, as progressive as this sounds on the surface, it really isn't.

Honestly, the whole thing feels pretty condescending but it will be fun to see how the Academy attempts to figure out what gets nominated (there's already a lot of backlash on social media, so they'll have to give it some thought). What do you guys think? As always, share your thoughts below.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Fuck the Oscars.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Fuck the Oscars.

What he said, there meaningless there just picked based on what and who is popular in the moment (Hence why Jennifer Lawrence has one even though in my view she's not that great an actor) not on what's good or worthy. Though I do believe Del Toro really deserved one last year I still couldn't help but feel it was a Oscar's play for look at us we are giving out now based on diversity we've changed now we hope you've all forgotten Harvey the rapist scum bag who we still have not locked up yet...
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm

https://www.destructoid.com/disney-repo ... 6691.phtml

Those of you who think that we might be getting more R-rated Marvel movies. . . put away your shades, 'cause the future doesn't look too bright.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:35 am

Any article that opens up with "all our worst fears are coming true" is reactionary garbage that need not be taken seriously.
- Sachi

I host the unofficial EGF discord server. Join us! https://discord.gg/WqS7wRW
I also host another server dedicated to Star Wars: https://discord.gg/wWYPwjb

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:https://www.destructoid.com/disney-reportedly-wants-to-downsize-fox-scale-back-movies-that-aren-t-family-friendly-franchise-focused--516691.phtml

Those of you who think that we might be getting more R-rated Marvel movies. . . put away your shades, 'cause the future doesn't look too bright.

I'm not buying this because if they wanted to cut back they could have already trimmed by culling Family Guy and put on a stopper on the Orville having a S3 since nether are kid friendly and have questionable adult content which is places in my view is really bad taste. I think the person in this is just playing on the whole thing with James Gunn getting sacked and Disney saying its due to not matching there family friendly ideals.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:01 pm

TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Wow that's just bad....and its twitter yet again :irked:

Blockio
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am

Do these people not realise that they are actively harming their own cause? I honestly don't get how anyone can convince themselves that this type of behavior is doing them a favor
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:02 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Do these people not realise that they are actively harming their own cause? I honestly don't get how anyone can convince themselves that this type of behavior is doing them a favor

I know how this behaviour works due to the time I spent on tumblr before throwing in the towel. You get one person saying a sweeping statement for better or worse everyone favs comments and loves that statement but god forbid you disagree with that statement if you do prepare to be attacked and fed to rabid dogs or told to go kill yourself.

The same logic works on twitter one or more popular or famous tweeter people kick up a storm everyone agrees then instead of being adults or discussing it logically everyone leaps on to that running popular statement or idea bandwagon and attacks the source like children. The worst part is in the thick of it you don't know your doing it or that its wrong and you want to be part of the crowd so badly and not be singled out for disagreeing that you follow that herd even if that herd is as toxic as hell and about to leap off a cliff and make a whole group of fandom look bad....
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 am

I really like how Disney shot themselves in the foot over the James Gunn situation and now they can’t even make a Guardians Vol. 3 movie.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm curious to see how the post-A4 landscape shapes up, seeing as that movie was meant to introduce a new phase or whatever, plus everyone who works at Marvel Studios has to be a little on edge given that the Disney higher ups will tank the entire franchise over some chickenshit tweets the guy already apologized for.

It's kind of amazing how any of this happened at all. Look at how Disney has managed the Star Wars brand. Considering that they can't seem to get a tentpole movie out (A Wrinkle in Time* was a disaster) anymore that isn't Marvel, the rashness of their decision is shocking. It wouldn't surprise me if, at this point, they haven't rehired him and moved on purely as a face saving move. More people know about those tweets know because of them.

Also, I hope the trolls that bullied Disney into firing him are attacked by the dreaded candiru fish.

*I went to see A Wrinkle in Time in theaters when it came out. I knew I was in for something when, before the movie actually started, the director appeared on screen to tell me how good and important the movie is.

No. Just no. Don't do that.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 pm

In this whole Guardians 3 affair - movie will still get made & nerds will still go - the only person who comes out looking good is Dave Bautista. While Chris "His PR team is working overtime to keep his Pro-Trump, Pro-MAGA, Obama Birther & Build that Wall Supporter"" Pratt & the other Guardians have been pretty quiet besides that one letter, Bautista has openly called Disney a bunch of assholes several times through his Twitter account. He's openly said he wants out of Marvel if James Gunn isn't directing Vol. 3. He's made no bones that while he'll be back for Vol. 3 if needed - he is legally contracted to and has to come back if Disney wants it or can be sued for millions - he wants to leave the Marvel Universe entirely** if James Gunn isn't brought back. He does not suffer Nazis lightly and probably would break Mike Cernovich's face if they ever crossed in the real world. He's a good guy.

** Would not be surprised if Drax is the only character to stay dead when everyone is brought back to life in Avengers 4.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:22 pm

The audience demographic that Disney risks losing with the GOTG controversy are fence riders like me: people who don't really care, may or may not have gone to see it, but won't now that they are turned off by what happened with James Gunn. Now my weak 'maybe' has become a hard 'no thanks'. I have no investment in these Marvel films, and I feel even less compelled to get into them now.

On the other hand, I sold my soul to Star Wars long ago. Disney is still getting my money.
- Sachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:20 pm

So, the thing about rehiring James Gunn is that Disney C.E.O. Bob Iger is considering retiring, which means that all of the higher-ups underneath him want to make it look that their decisions matter and are final. As a result, Alan Horn (who fired Gunn) isn’t backing down on his decision.

Also, the Mouse doesn’t take a bullet for anyone. People take bullets for the Mouse.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 pm

The movie is out in April. Wouldn't perma-dusting Drax require reshoots?
the prophecy is true

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Actually, the film is on hold now thanks to this situation: https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook. ... -bautista/
- Sachi

Return to “Film and Video”