Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm

You SAY the DC Brand has never been in such dire straights but last I checked Patty Jenkins WONDER WOMAN was the biggest movie of last summer and was a cultural phenomenon.

I’d say they’re doing pretty well. A little course correction from the overly serious and misguided Zack Snyder vision and they’ll be fine again. Four years and three to four films from now and everyone will be singing a different story.

But, maybe it’s just time the DC Universe in mainstream pop culture was allowed to exist beyond the titans of Batman & Superman. WB won’t let it happen but I would be perfectly happy if both those characters went on hiatus for a decade and the DC Universe was movies where the other characters to shine.

Studios are not leaving the superhero game - the movies are so simplistic they play on a global level - so there’s no need for hypebolics. Nothing is in “danger”. They just need to course correct. They’re already on that path with Wonder Woman & will likely continue.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Can we just hiatus Batman? I think I made a list earlier in this thread showing Batman has had 3 different actor/universe reboots with seven independent films and ten appearances counting Suicide Squad, BvS, and JL, and Superman has had a kinda-sequel to 40 year old movies and one standalone film that's pretty hostile to the idea of the character.

I just want a good, fundamental Superman story that captures the essence of the character without trying to make some asinine point, or that is crafted to appeal to Batman fans. Not a message piece/exercise in 'realism' like the Nolan movies or whatever, just a movie that presents the character in a distilled form capturing the best of 70+ years of storytelling in one place in an accessible, entertaining way.

Especially one placing the emphasis on Superman as the immigrant, the outsider, the man of the people, and the potential of humanity vs. Superman as an alien god.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:You SAY the DC Brand has never been in such dire straights but last I checked Patty Jenkins WONDER WOMAN was the biggest movie of last summer and was a cultural phenomenon.

ONE. Good DC movie. Out of EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Underperforming or bombing. One strong pillar can't hold up an entire brand long term.

If I could reverse the fates. I'd have Wonder Woman such and every other one be 90% on RT. But that's never going to happen.

I’d say they’re doing pretty well. A little course correction from the overly serious and misguided Zack Snyder vision and they’ll be fine again. Four years and three to four films from now and everyone will be singing a different story.

I highly doubt that. Marvel has a complete monopoly on the market. Even if DC gets it's shit together. It' never going to be on par with Marvel, because they've been around for longer, they have more brand loyalty, they have better word of mouth, and they've ALWAYS (outliers that weren't produced under the MCU banner notwithstanding) been associated with quality.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with DC movies being more tonally serious! That way people who are tired of Marvel's Levity could just emigrate over to DC! But because of them crapping the bed that's not going to happen. We're gonna be stuck with disposable toothless Superhero movies (and Deadpool) for the next decade.

But, maybe it’s just time the DC Universe in mainstream pop culture was allowed to exist beyond the titans of Batman & Superman. WB won’t let it happen but I would be perfectly happy if both those characters went on hiatus for a decade and the DC Universe was movies where the other characters to shine.

Agree on Batman. We reached peak Batman. He has more movies TV Shows, games and cartoons than literally any other character in the DC pantheon. It may seem ludicrous. But there will be a point where the audience gets sick of Batman and just stops going to see his movies. When that happens, DC will be out in the cold because they've built up literally NONE of their other IPS.

Superman? I agree to a lesser extent. Like I said, he hasn't had a unanimously agreed upon good movie in 40 years. and he NEEDS ONE. If for nothing else there's the legacy of the character to think about. But on the other hand? If the character really is too complicated and OP to get right? If he really can't exist in a post 9/11 setting? Maybe DC should shelve him, or if worst comes to worst outright permanently retire the character and replace him with Supergirl, or Martian Manhunter, or Shazam.

There's no hope for the character. So why bother even being a fan of him?

Studios are not leaving the superhero game - the movies are so simplistic they play on a global level - so there’s no need for hypebolics. Nothing is in “danger”. They just need to course correct. They’re already on that path with Wonder Woman & will likely continue.

Trends only last for 20 years at most, and come back due to nostalgia 30 years after the fact. I'd rather not wait till 2048 for a good Superman movie. Thank you very much.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm

I wish someone would make a Superman movie that could cut through your pessimism. That's pretty much the benchmark for a good Superman movie.

I mean, it's a little tautological, but saying Superman couldn't really exist in a post-9/11 world is just wrong. Superman can do anything.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 pm

I think Ray needs to rewatch the Schumacher Batman movies. On a loop. Until the next DC movie comes out.

No post Nolan DC movie has ever lost money. They just didn’t make as much as they wanted.

And yes, you can make a Superman movie on the cheap. They did it around 40 years ago (cheaper than they do nowadays, even after adjusting for inflation), which, as you said yourself, was one of the best DC movies ever made.

Think about it, Chris Reeves never needed to be successful in China in order to profit in 1978. That objective fact alone unarguabley refutes your entire pessimistic premise. We can make movies for less money that cater to a domestic audience and still make a Superman movie. (I mean, do we really need to spend the extra money on a set of Uncanny Valley CGI lips and a virtual, plastic-looking cape that looks stupid as it flaps against a windless backdrop? I don’t think so.) To insist otherwise is to gouge out your eyes so you don’t have to see the great truths that we accomplished in American entertainment history. And nobody wants to watch a movie with gouged-out eyes. How would they be able to see the movie for what it truly is?

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Chuckman wrote:I wish someone would make a Superman movie that could cut through your pessimism. That's pretty much the benchmark for a good Superman movie.

I mean, it's a little tautological, but saying Superman couldn't really exist in a post-9/11 world is just wrong. Superman can do anything.

Superman can't change human nature.

EDIT: Also Freaky. Justice League was pure damage control garbage that pleased NOBODY.

Edit 2:
Also, if Reeves superman movie were released TODAY. I doubt it would be any better received. The two good ones are good for their time, but haven't aged well. People expect more from their Superhero movies than they did in the 70's.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:23 pm

He doesn’t have to.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Also, if Reeves superman movie were released TODAY. I doubt it would be any better received. The two good ones are good for their time, but haven't aged well. People expect more from their Superhero movies than they did in the 70's.

You’re still lookin at it from the perspective of wealthy studios’ arbitrary and creatively destructive desires to make all of the money in one over-budgeted and excessively pressured film, as opposed to simply making a modest profit spread across a vast output of media. If you want DC’s problems to loop forever, then so be it. But Superhero movies don’t need to be funded by the amount of wealth of small countries in order to be good or successful. Nor does the film industry need to devolve into an intellectually decaying dick-measuring contest over budget amounts and literal attempts at world domination in media.

I know if the market doesn’t shift towards more modest productions soon, then in another 3 years you’re gonna look back on this discussion with a “Woulda, coulda, shoulda” attitude. Or it can change for the better right now so we don’t have to say these things 3 years later.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:28 am

Sony released a trailer for their upcoming non-Disney Marvel film, Sentient Fanged Attack Pudding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxFdtWmjto
the prophecy is true

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I was more referring to the fact that things like the cloth superhero costume the campy tone and the ex machina at the ending would be mocked and demeaned by audiences just as bad as the Grim dark tone DC is being demeaned for now. Not the budget.

Furthermore Studios need to do this dick measuring contest as you put it because if they don't then the mouse is going to have a complete and total Monopoly on the entire entertainment industry. And that's a net negative for everyone involved Marvel fans, DC fans, and decent human beings the world over.

Edit:
You want someone to blame for this sure to suck Venom movie blame Amy "Glass Ceiling" Pascal. If you've been following the news surrounding her you can pretty much connect the dots. This is the woman who ran the Spider-Man license into the ground so bad they had to come back to Marvel on their hands and knees. This is the woman who went ahead with a reboot of the Ghostbusters instead of a Ghostbusters 3 and screwed over the filmmaker who was originally supposed to helm that. This is the woman who cancelled Gennedy Tartakovskys Popeye Reboot and greenlit the Emoji Movie because it didn't meet her Studio Projection charts.

And this Venom movie comes from that same mindset.

Corey on the Double Toasted podcast talk about this in detail about why a Venom movie only works in the Grand or context of a Spider-Man universe. If he Doesn't show up in a prior Spider-Man movie then there's no reason for him to have a solo movie.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBdeVJkOP6I
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Hardy is a good actor, looks good as Eddie, this movie clearly has a serious tone and isn't Spider-Man 3, and the teaser doesn't show much about Venom or what the story actually is except some hinting that it deals with the duality of man and crap like that, which makes a lot of sense for a movie about alien and/or genetically engineered goo that makes you into a monster version of yourself.

Sony probably isn't brave enough to make a dark comedy about a slavering, fanged monstrosity trying really hard to be a superhero, but we have nothing to go on at this point so I don't see why there's any reason to assume this is going to suck.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Watch the podcast in the link chuck. Corey knows his showbiz.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm not going to gin myself up to hate a movie I haven't seen.

Unless Tarantino makes it. Schwing.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:38 pm

THERE IS NO GOD.

Michael Bay Eyed to Direct DC Superhero ‘Lobo’

https://www.thewrap.com/lobo-michael-bay-dc-superhero/

Well to be fair. If anyone is qualified to make a movie about a hard drinking, hard partying, musclebound, sexist Asshole. It's definitely Michael Bay.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:01 pm

The only problem I see is that the Rock can't play Lobo if he's already playing someone else.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Dwayne is too likeable to play Lobo. Meanwhile Black Adam (from what little I know of him from Injustice) seems like a perfect fit for the Rock. A Villain, but very much a likeable and even friendly one.

And they already Got Momoa playing Aquaman. . . . Though after Justice League and the majority of people hating him in that. I don't expect that to stay the same for long, even with a great director like Wan behind the camera.

My dream cast for him would be Michael Clarke Duncan, but he's dead. RIP.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 pm

His likability is why he'd be perfect for it. Lobo needs to be a frat boy that you kind of like until you realize he casually commits genocide. Isn't he basically a parody of 90's badass comics?
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock?

...my body is ready.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:52 pm

As it happens my body is also ready for Tom Hardy. purr.
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Back off, you hussy, I saw him first!

:asuka_geh:
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Film and Video”