Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:18 pm

I take back the good things I said...

Not only are Warner Brothers making a Young Joker movie from Todd Phillips, presumably at the same time they're going to be making a Joker & Harley movie with Jared Leto.
Too...many...Jokers!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-harley-quinn-movie-scores-crazy-stupid-love-filmmakers-write-direct-1032210?utm_source=twitter

Also, James Gunn said Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 is going to set up the next decade to 20 years of Marvel movies. Sooooo yeah, these things aren't going anywhere. I'm planning to jump ship after Avengers 4.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

I too hate fun.

Also my dream would be for there to be 4-5 different Jokers all on screen at the same time in different continuities followed by a Crisis of Infinite Jokers teaming up to travel back in time and kill Bill Finger, retroactively transforming Batman into a blond goon in a red onesie with giant rubber bat wings on the back for no discernible reason.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 am

It's not that I hate fun, it's that I'm having a hard time caring about Disney productions and have had difficulty enjoying the DCCU. Star Wars Ep 8 is coming out in December, and I don't feel excitement. I'll watch it, certainly. I'll probably even put it in my movie library. I might even enjoy watching it. But I'm not excited about it.

I've lost track as to what or when the next Marvel movie is. I couldn't be bothered, really. Whatever it is will probably be broadly acceptable, though. My usual thing with those movies these days is to (maybe) watch it once in theaters and just be done with it. I thought I was going to get Dr Strange on Bluray simply for its crazy visuals. I got Kong: Skull Island instead. Baby Driver will probably be my next contemporary movie purchase.

I dread WB superhero movies. Batgirl sounded like the coolest thing in DC's future if it wasn't for Joss Whedon being intellectually dissonant about his own proclaimed ideals. (Which has been bleeding into his married life since day one, apperently.) Also, his movies are pretentious Saturday morning cartoons at best. (As opposed to fun Saturday morning cartoons, like Cutie Honey or Godzilla Final Wars.)

Yeah, I'm not excited about these movies. Haven't been since The Dark Knight.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 am

I would keep up with these movies if I found them fun, but they got tedious for me a long time ago. I'll do what I always do when it comes to this pop culture stuff: Let time filter out most of the noise. If it's worth seeing, it'll still be worth seeing years from now.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
Not only are Warner Brothers making a Young Joker movie from Todd Phillips, presumably at the same time they're going to be making a Joker & Harley movie with Jared Leto.
Too...many...Jokers!

Standalone else-world tales involving the characters are probably DC's best bet as far as live action films are concerned, given it's going to be a WHILE before they can get a DCEU that's as consistent and well received as the MCU, and even then they'll still NEVER have the consistency and brand synergy Marvel does.

But they can turn their greatest weakness into their greatest strength.

Since the WB clearly isnt planning on commitment to the dark tone and themes they started the DCEU with (critics be damned) this could give them a chance to have their cake and eat it too. They can have the 'fun' fare with the DCEU proper (once they soft reboot it with flashpoint), while they can take more risks with the characters and the stories in standalone elseworld movies without having to be bogged down by continuity, and can focus on the story they currently have instead of devoting a portion of their film's story plot and runtime to essentially self-flagellating for the so called 'mistakes' they made in prior installments.

Lets be honest, DC has (almost) always thrived better in the hands of smaller creative teams than in Big-Budget blockbuster territory. Bruce Timm's DCAU team and Greg Weismans team working on young justice while still working in the constraints of 'this is a kids show' managed to create our generations most fondly remembered incarnations of the DC universe. Smaller scale, means less stakes, and less executives sticking their thumbs where they don't belong when there's negative feedback to a prior installment.

That could work for this new 'Elseworlds' series. Give them a reasonable budget, keep the executive meddling and 'course correction' constrained to the DCEU proper, and let the ones working on the Elseworld series go nuts and do whatever they want. If some of the solo elseworlds films don't work, since they aren't in the main continuity and have no impact on the stories in other movies they can just junk them and then focus on sequels to the ones that are well received.

On top of that, it could be great to take the characters and explore them in other eras. You could have campy golden/Sliver-Age Superman in WW2 and the Cold War, The Gods and Monsters Continuity with Mexican Superman and Batman as a Vampire, Pax-Americana with Captain Atom and Blue Beetle.

I mean, flashpoint is essentially going to establish the existence of alternate universes and timelines anyways, why not use that to their advantage?

Edit:

Mark Hughes said it best.

More films, more options, more ways to imagine and see these characters in various forms and iterations. We already have TV versions, some of them connected to each other and some not, and they exist fine alongside the big-screen versions that remain apart from the TV stories. Audiences are more open and able to handle these differences nowadays, I think, and will appreciate more options. So it's good that a studio is willing to take these risks and give filmmakers the creative freedom to pursue the projects they want to make, the way they want to make them.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I dread WB superhero movies. Batgirl sounded like the coolest thing in DC's future if it wasn't for Joss Whedon being intellectually dissonant about his own proclaimed ideals. (Which has been bleeding into his married life since day one, apperently.) Also, his movies are pretentious Saturday morning cartoons at best. (As opposed to fun Saturday morning cartoons, like Cutie Honey or Godzilla Final Wars.)

Yeah, I'm not excited about these movies. Haven't been since The Dark Knight.

I'm kind of hoping Batwoman is an utter disaster because then it will be Whedon's dying breath and the end of his directing in Hollywood then he can go back to TV and vanish in to obscurity as a has been that no one cares about any more. Plus I can't understand why the studios would even hire him again after the fiasco that was age of ultron and his pregnant women being monster line and the terrible totality out of character Tony Stalk inserting a rape joke about Prima Nocta.

SPOILER: Show
Prima Nocta,is a custom shown in the Braveheat movie where a nobleman had the right to take the virginity of a peasant woman on her wedding night in place of her husband. Regardless of whether this custom is real or not it, is not something you make jokes about as its not funny on any level and I refuse to believe for Whedon this was an oversight as its not hard to track down online what it is, you can get it a two second search on google.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 am

^ As far as studios are concerned, the "fiasco that was Age of Ultron" was a superhero movie allowing Disney executives to buy another yacht to set sail on their ocean of money. Who doesn't want that?

Hollywood isn't nearly as liberal or as politically correct as they like to think they are, so anything goes on their capitalist journey to financial domination.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:1 - Plus I can't understand why the studios would even hire him again after the fiasco that was age of ultron

2 - and his pregnant women being monster line

1 - Because it was a plenty decent movie that regular people agree it's pretty much just as good as the 1st Avengers.
There is a decent contingent of people that were dissapointed in it not being as serious toned as the trailers make it look but it's still well regarded.

2 - That isn't what that line meant & you bloody know it.
This is one of the most infuriating complaints about any movie I have ever heard in my life.
She was stating that her being molded into a assassin made her a monster. Bruce stated he could not have children & she said she also could not as a mutual loss they have both shared as a result of their transformations into monsters. It was presented as a CASUALTY of being a monster not the cause of being such.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:09 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:1 - Because it was a plenty decent movie that regular people agree it's pretty much just as forgettable as the 1st Avengers.

Fixed. It might even be more forgettable, actually.

The lack of a darker tone really didn't bother me that much. Complaints about misleading advertising aside, it's clear that Marvel is waiting for the Infinity War movies to be their darkest-before-dawn hours. A2: Electric Boogaloo is simply fun filler between other fillers in order to pad time before Disney can make even more filler. Nothing to write home about on a tonal level.

The real detriment to A2 for me was just how incessantly preachy it was. If Ultron wasn't stepping in every 10 mins or so in order to exposite his feelings on the human race, Vision would quickly step in to maintain the status quo. Add to that the fact that the only snarky dialogue Whedon gave Stark were the lines that revealed details and idioms that would have been more rewarding for the viewer to realize on a re-watch, and the whole thing simply tries to make itself known for its many Whedon words.
At The Cinema  SPOILER: Show
Me: "Judging from the relationship dynamics between the two characters, Ultron is kinda like Stark's rebellious teenage son. Neat."

Tony Stark (in the very next scene): "YOU'RE MAKING DADDY VERY UPSET, ULTRON. WHICH IS ME, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T PICK UP ON THAT. I'M YOUR DADDY." *to the audience* "I'M ULTRON'S METAPHORICAL FATHER."

It's too pretentious, too overt, and too preachy to be as good as the first Avengers movie. I couldn't enjoy it more than once.

silvermoonlight
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:17 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:2 - That isn't what that line meant & you bloody know it.
This is one of the most infuriating complaints about any movie I have ever heard in my life.
She was stating that her being molded into a assassin made her a monster. Bruce stated he could not have children & she said she also could not as a mutual loss they have both shared as a result of their transformations into monsters. It was presented as a CASUALTY of being a monster not the cause of being such.

Yes I know what it means the problem is not all the audience reads it that way because of how its worded and not everyone who goes to the cinema goes to watch films for the muti layered depth of characters they go there to shut off and get lost in the fantasy and fun. So when you throw a serious issue spanner like that in the works but have no follow up scene about it later its going to cause problems. As when Bruce leaves Widow could have spoken to Captain America about what they chatted about earlier in the film and maybe her desire for family or adoption in some form like Hawkeye has which could have been followed by Captain America going you will have this one day, then this whole thing would have not been half as bad.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:57 am

I don't agree it was badly handled but I will just say fair enough.
I don't think Nat wanted children. She wanted to be with someone she felt a kinship with. She was semi-emotional about the sterility only because Wanda drudged up the memories of the Red Room to the forefront of her mind after so many years working for Shield & at the same time wasn't connecting with Bruce the way she hoped.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:it's clear that Marvel is waiting for the Infinity War movies to be their darkest-before-dawn hours.

Speaking of which, if anyone has seen the leaked Infinity War footage I think we can surmise the following about the end of Thor - Ragnarok...
SPOILER: Show
In the footage we see Loki with the cosmic cube presumably about to hand it over to Thanos.
The Guardians find Thor floating out in space still in his gladiator armor among ruins.
So we likely have the following options...
1 - Hela/Surtur win & destroy Asgard.
2 - Thor does something drastic to defeat them like summoning the lorn bolt & destroys Asgard as a side effect.
3 - Loki after stealing the cube from the vaults uses it to truly betray Thor this time & destroys Asgard.
4 - Thanos destroys Asgard off screen in between films or at the beginning of IW.
I'm praying that #4 does not happen.
Let Thor 3 have a Eva 2.0 type ending to lead us to Infinity War.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:59 am

Looks like Ben Affleck's next directorial project is NOT going to be a Warner Brothers picture. Since he used to be part of the "Untouchable" directors (WB is/used to be famous for being director friendly, until Christopher Nolan starts losing them money they'll give him a blank check for everyone of his projects) Affleck making a film for another company is a sign of him calling it quits with WB and in turn the whole DC/Batman universe.

Nothings been confirmed yet but the word in the grapevine is Affleck got hurt by his contractual duties as Batman when it got in the way of his work on his last directorial effort Live By Night. Instead of being able to give himself 100% to the project in post-production he was stuck overseas shooting Justice League & having to dictate his choices on Night through third parties. Since WB had already set a release date he was stuck in the hard place of meeting a deadline on one project while having to spend most of his days filming Batman on greenscreen. And it shows. Live By Night isn't a terrible film it's just completely lifeless and feels devoid of vision. Since LIVE BY NIGHT was a real passion project of his - something he'd wanted to do for years - this really left him sour.

Affleck's gonna vacate the role. Sooner rather than later. He can't be a writer/director AND spend 6 to 8 months every year playing Batman in DC movies - which will only get worse now that WB seems intent on most of their DC Universe films being set primarily in the world of Batman - and since his heart is in directing now something's gotta give.

http://theplaylist.net/ben-affleck-red-platoon-20170830/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am

DC just can't catch a single goddamn break can it? :facepalm:
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 am

It's self inflicted at this point. There wasn't a single creative decision D.C. made that didn't go their way, and they're only 1 in 4 on making it coherent and massively appealing. It's about time their creativity took a hit. When anything an executive says becomes law, you start making Prequel Star Wars movies all over again.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't think overbearing execs are their problem. Their problem is trying to have both ways, flailing around with these directors who bring their own styles while trying to have a 'house style'.

Can't blame them for trying. Marvel makes it work.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Honestly, Warner Brothers has made a million mistakes with the DC Universe but a big one in my opinion has always been casting Ben Affleck in the role of Batman. He can give a fine performance mind you but for the past decade it's been common knowledge that Affleck's true focus is on becoming a powerhouse trifecta of writer/director/actor. He essentially wants the career Clint Eastwood has where he could be in charge of the projects that guide his career as an artist and movie star. I don't know what Warner Brothers said to Affleck back in 2013 while the world was riding high on Argo's Best Picture win at the Oscars - or how big that mountain of cash was - but all parties (WB & Affleck) made a really foolhardy decision at the time thinking only of the then and not long term. In this new Cinematic Universe world taking on a leading superhero role is not a three-picture commitment anymore but is signing over a decade of your life. And Affleck has suffered as an artist ever since.

It's obvious Batman would be the centerpiece of the DC Cinematic Unviverse like how Iron Man has become the centerpiece of the MCU. That's a job title that 100% limits what the actor is capable of doing because they're gonna have to be available to star in that one super blockbuster a year and have a cameo or smaller side roles in future side projects. It's a real full time job. It does not leave time to write, produce and direct your own work. Difference is Robert Downey Jr has no other interests besides cashing those massive checks & is fine spending all his professional time in these blockbusters - by the way, sure doesn't hurt that Iron Man is a 100% CG character, RDJ never has to wear the suit and 90% of the most time-consuming action scenes usually involve him just spending an afternoon on a green screen for those "inside the suit" extreme closeups - so he's perfect for the MCU job. Since the MCU really kicked off post-Avengers back in 2012 RDJ has only had two non-Marvel projects released, and one of those is Chef where his role is simply a one-scene cameo.

Once Affleck leaves the role there will be some truly interesting personal revelations from him about this part of his life. He's always been a very candid guy - the commentary for Armageddon is something else - so there will be some interesting personal anecdotes once the next guy has been cast in the role. And there's a million white men in shape living in Hollywood right now who could play the part so the world will go on fine. No need to be melodramatic about it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/j ... ush-153543

This Joker standalone movie sounds interesting and gives me hope that DC might start doing "elseworlds" and standalone takes on their properties and maybe push Marvel to do the same.

Actors age out, and there are rights issues. After Marvel hits all the big avengers-y stories that it can they should do a trilogy of films adapating Earth X, or turn Marvels into a period piece 60's superhero film. Kind of like what the X Men franchise is willing to do, only not lifeless and shitty.

FrDougal9000
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Lindsay Ellis (formerly the Nostalgia Chick, now an excellent video essayist regarding film analysis) uploaded an in-depth analysis for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, if you want to check it out. I won't say much more than that it's a very good video that made me rather interested in the film (though I'll likely still never see it), and that I hope you enjoy the watch.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Director of The Accountant & Warrior is on for Suicide Squad 2, sounds very good to me.
Last edited by movieartman on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 am

Another Director Bites The Dust.

Return to “Film and Video”