Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:39 pm

SPOILER: Show
We had Miles Morales: why not Michelle Jones?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Miles Morales wasn't replacing Spider-Man, he was succeeding him.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:42 am

They blew a chance to make a really progressive move.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 pm

^ I would hold off on that claim. Like, yeah, maybe they missed out on creating something "more progressive," but I don't know if appropriating the name of Mary Jane for a character that doesn't conventionally look like Mary Jane would be that more progressive thing to do. It would just come off as a "black version" of a pre-established white character, and those optics aren't great either for art that may be trying to be progressive in nature and message. Arguments that state that Mary Jane wouldn't have been as popular as she is now if she started off as a black person instead of a white person would very much apply to this type of narrative sensibility.

Consider, for example, Supergirl. Supergirl is a character introduced in a Superman-featured Action Comic back in 1958, and didn't get her own Action Comic series until the following year. She was conceived as being the "girl version" of Superman. On paper this sounds like a very progressive thing for the comic book industry to do, especially in the late 1950's "Father Knows Best" era of narrative art. Here's an industry conventionally thought of as being male-centric realizing their female demographic and acknowledges this readership by releasing a comic book series that can be appreciated by that demographic especially. Unfortunately, its execution left much to be desired in many different ways.

First of all is the name and origin story. Her being the cousin of Kal-El downplays the intensely dramatic "sole survivor of the planet Krypton" pathos that helps paint the intensity of Superman's story. This hurts both the Superman and the Supergirl characters. Not only is the dramatic tension of Superman's mythos compromised, but it plants the idea that a female superhero cannot stand on its own without being related to a male's story in some way integral to the character's own existence; AKA Supergirl wouldn't have been as popular as she is now, unless she could stand in the shadow of Superman. Without Superman paving the way in comic book culture first, Supergirl wouldn't be a much-loved character.

Second, the execution of Supergirl's character in the first batch of comics that feature her are very much still written in that "Father Knows Best" way of thinking. She's more of the ditzy blonde, constantly needing the guidance of a stronger, older male relative in order to show her out to do things "the right way." This in't to say that these narrative conventions are inherently bad. Rather, it's merely to point out how they are not in anyway progressive in nature. In any case, these certainly aren't the narrative forms that drew a female audience to reading superhero comics in the first place.

Compare both of those aspects to a rather literal goddess-among-men, Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman doesn't rely on any previously established comic book character in order to exist in the comic book universe. There wasn't a preceding "Wonder Man" that was the "original hero," showing a younger and less wise Wonder Woman how to properly behave in a male-dominated society. Heck, there wasn't even a "Wonder Man" to popularize the title, paving the way for the popularity of Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is her own original character. She isn't the "Girl Version" of any pre-existing comic book character. She is her own character in her own right, and single-handedly proved that these types of stories being headlined by female protagonists is not only good storytelling, but is also highly marketable. I'm not trying to say that Wonder Woman is a better character than Supergirl. Rather, I'm stating that Wonder Woman is, by definition, more progressive than Supergirl, and she accomplishes that by not being the "Girl Version" of any previously existing superhero character.

Likewise, I would take the same reservations against stating that Zendaya playing a "Black Version" of Mary Jane would be more progressive or forward thinking. It might work seamlessly in the film's story, sure, and she might have given us the best performance as Mary Jane to date if given the opportunity. (Actually, that might be the real loss here.) But I don't know if all of that would constitute as being progressive within the film's narrative. If anything, it might have just been seen as the "Black Version" of a character who only gained her popularity by "being white." (Which, you know, is pretty much all of Mary Jane's character in the Spider-Man movies to date, especially by the 3rd movie.)

However, I still do have a minor complaint against Sony's use of the name in the movie.
In the context of Spider-Man lore, "Michelle Jones" is the kind of thing that sounds like what someone would say when they're trying to quickly come up with a lie about who they really are on the spot. "'Mary Jane?' Me? What? No, silly. My name isn't Mary Jane, it's... Mmmichellle, uh... Jones! Yeah. Michelle Jones."
But, other than that, it's fine. Whatever.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 pm

I really meant progressive for actors.

Comic book movies don't have many parts for black characters if every character that started white in the comics has to be portrayed by a white actor.

Also, notice that no one complained when Nick Fury was cast as a black man. It's okay for a grizzled eyepatched badass to be cast as a black man but all hell breaks loose if the white hero audience insert or the love interest is different.

If you're making a historical biopic you can't cast Denzel Washington to play Abraham Lincoln (actually, you could... if I wrote the movie) but any fictional character can be portrayed by an actor of any race.

We need more diverse casting of more established characters.

Why? Because without that the only roles will be ones that fit black stereotypes (Nick Fury can be the archetypal angry black man and nerd's don't care) or ridiculous or emasculated. The only roles will be Black Panther, Black Lightning, Black Vulcan, Blacky Blackenstein, or weird heroes like Cyborg.

We're going to put a black guy on the Justice League... but he's half robot and has no penis, don't be afraid.

Storywise... I'm tired of superhero movies being so conventional and distilling the adapted hero into a kind of cliff notes version of x years of comic history. Fucking do something different with it!

How about a Spider-Man actually set in the 60's, or Superman in the 30's, or a movie with no origin story where the Justice League goes off and fights the something somethings of planet X or some shit.

Comics are bold and beautiful and strange and they keep hammering on the same safe shit over and over again, repeating stories everyone knows already. Is there anyone who lives even in the developing world who has access to media that doesn't know about Krypton or radioactive spider bites?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:34 am

^ Whereas I'm down for all of that, I don't see how creating entirely new characters doesn't address the actors' dilemma in a satisfactory way. In fact, Zendaya's character is closer to what I've always wanted Marvel movies to do since the release of the first Iron Man film: Create entirely brand new characters and debut them in the movies rather than the comic books. Granted, Sony is doing this instead of Disney, and Zendaya's character isn't a headlining superhero (yet...), but at least we get a character in these superhero movies that potentially isn't nothing more than a tired checklist of recognizable traits from older stories. (It also eliminates that pesky "That's not how it happened in the comic books" complaint from wannabe critics, which will never not be a plus.) Believe me, this is the best step forward in superhero films that we've had in a long time, both within terms of creativity and diversity.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm open to creating new characters too, but I don't think white people should basically own all the legacy characters.

I think the biggest example of why this is a problem, at least recently, is Dr. Strange. Ejiofor should have played Strange and Cumberbatch played Mordo, not the other way around as it was in the actual film. Cumberbatch was stilted and always sounded hesitant when he was supposed to be smooth and charming (in a cloying, obnoxious way) and Baron Mordo could just Cumberbatch's natural accent.

I don't know if they even considered that, but I know what would have happened if they had.

I want to see a black superhero/major superhero supporting character who is just playing the character and happens to be a black actor. If you look at the few major characters that cast against their appearance in the comics, you notice a pattern. I think Halley Berry's Catwoman is the perfect example: We'll cast a black actress, but this Catwoman has no relationship with Batman, isn't Selina kyle, and has a completely different costume, origin, and basically everything.

Which is fucking ironic if you think about it, because Catwoman was portrayed by a black actress in the old Adam West show and they didn't change the character and modified the costume only slightly. (It was actually one of the two white actresses who took on the role that wore a different version of the cat suit- Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt both wore a black bodysuit with a gold necklace and the only difference was one wore little cat ears)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:52 pm

Yeah, the Catwoman movie is an affront to everything good and holy. Changing everything about her character was horrid, regardless of whether or not it was done for racial reasons.

I have a friend who recently started acting. He's been in a few low-budget Indy flicks made in the area. He wants to play the first black Superman. He dresses up in a rather elaborate Superman consume and wears it at conventions around North Carolina. I must say, he looks the part. I wouldn't have anything against a black Superman, just so long as it wasn't somehow Snyder-ized.

Superhero characters are actually theoretically easy to diversify. Most of their iconic visual attributes have nothing to do with race or skin color. Batman is recognized by his black/grey/yellow suit. Superman has a blue/red/yellow suit. Citizen characters, like Mary Jane, have fewer non-natural iconic visual traits, so I can see why a loss of red hair would be a more major shift in casting. But that doesn't make it a deal-breaker.

I can totally see Mary Jane being played by a non white, non redhead person. But I also find more original characters far more appealing, especially in a sub genre that is bogged down by the conventions of brand-recognizability. The thought of a Spider-Man movie sans Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy (or Black Cat) as the love interest feels kind of fresh and almost exciting. And I hope this new character takes on a life of her own, kinda like how Harley Quinn became popular despite the fact that she didn't come from a comic book.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:55 pm

There hasn't even been a movie with Black Cat yet, other than a name-only cameo in ASM 2 that I think most people missed.

The college-aged Peter who had a fling with Felicia and did a whole bunch of other stuff hasn't really appeared on screen.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Given this current Spider-Man is a teen. . . They probably aren't going to have black cat appear with Tom Holland Spider-Man anytime soon.

Why? Well. . .

There was this moment of the Ultimate Comics where Black Cat kissed Spidey while he was wearing a mask. Only for him to then say he is a teen. Felicia then projectile vomits out of disgust with herself for hitting on a teenager.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 pm

They could always make Black Cat a teen as well. :shrug: Make her a slightly older, bad girl. Established ages seems hardly an issue.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Sure a teenager walking around in a skintight bodysuit, making sexual passes at a boy, flipping around in acrobatic poses with her boobs and butt in the camera.

that won't piss anybody off. . . (:|

Except we had a similar controversy surrounding a certain filmmaker doing something just like that in a certain movie about giant robots. It was called Transformers age of Extinction.

Bottom line I think Marvel and Sony would rather black cat not show up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at all. Then risk controversy over such a explicitly sexual character on the big screen with one of their youngest Heroes. Especially given how generally sexless the Marvel movies are. . .( movies not the Netflix shows).

Black cat would fit much better alongside the likes of Daredevil Electra and Luke Cage then she would Spider-Man. But given the rights issues between Sony and Marvel that's probably never going to happen.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 pm

They could put her in a practical and well designed thief suit and make her ambiguously close in age.

Also Joss Whedon isn't directing these so we don't need to worry over potential crotch-fu.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Her character doesn't need to revolve around her sex appeal. See what they did with Selina Kyle in the Gotham series? That's another traditionally sexy heroin made into a teen, and they were able to not rely on her comic history of being a sexy character. They made her a realistic teen.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Also Black Cat wasn't originally defined by her sexuality.

She debuted wearing a black bodysuit and had modest breasts, and at most a small, natural v-cut out around her neck.

The neckline to her adonis belt and absurd cleavage started with Todd McFarlane, really.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:16 am

http://www.cbr.com/gerard-way-umbrella-academy-netflix/

In other news for those of you who want something different from the usual Marvel and DC Feud.

Gerard Way, the former lead singer for my favorite band is producing a live action version of his comic book series "Umbrella Academy" for Netflix.

Personally as someone who thought the original Umbrella Academy was just okay ( I still haven't gotten around to reading his run on Doom Patrol, so I can't say if he's gotten better since then) I think this has potential. If a comic is just average the only way an adaptation for it can go is up.

One thing I will say Umbrella Academy has is weirdness. It has a homicidal violinist who wants to bring about the apocalypse. . . That's something that should be interesting to see.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Sure a teenager walking around in a skintight bodysuit,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that also fits Spider-Man's look as well.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:45 pm

Gotham by Gaslight is the Dc's next Animated film.
Finally something animated I can be excited about! :D

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Most of their iconic visual attributes have nothing to do with race or skin color.

Which is why Fury & Heimdall are fine. And why it's infuriating that they keep choosing characters who iconic visual elements ARE related to such like Valkyrie & Domino.
I would be fine with a ethnic Mary Jane, Zendaya IMO just isn't attractive enough for the role. Laura Harrier who played Liz would have been.
And the bigger issue is them making her this fugly, frumpy hipster which is nothing like Mary Jane in any way shape or form.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Also Joss Whedon isn't directing these so we don't need to worry over potential crotch-fu.

Favreau created that in Iron Man 2 & the Russo's used it in both Winter Soldier & Civil War. :huh:
And visually it's the most badass thing on the face of the earth so those that would be "worried" about such can metaphorically go to hell.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Matt Reeves confirms The Batman script has started over from the ground up.
Concerned about Affleck feeling marginalized & rumors that Reeves wanted to use the Joker. Was looking forward to Deathstroke

Wonder Woman 2 is strongly rumored to be set in the 1980s during the Cold War.
I would be intrigued if Jenkins had not already confirmed that it will be set in America.
So will she be hunting down Russian spies?
Don't know who the villain in this scenario would be.
I guess Dr. Psycho could be used for political brainwashing purposes. But I seriously doubt they would use him as Marvel already used the Purple Man.

I really don't get why they would choose this as regardless of modern Russian paranoia, the Cold War Regan era is not looked back at fondly by Liberal Hollywood.
It being set in America throws out her fighting some USSR backed dictator & even if they had done that It might come off like Rambo 3 does today.

Personally I was wanting another period piece but I was thinking Diana tracking Cheetah through the jungles of Vietnam or Cambodia or something. Not this home bound crap.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Ben is probably only going to have one movie as the Batman before he leaves/is replaced either buy a new actor or by an in story reason involving Nightwing or something.

I mean you can't really blame Warner Brothers for this after the last few movies they made got creamed by critics it makes sense they want to give full control to a man whose worked magic for a series of movies involving talking apes. Of course Affleck is going to be marginalized. It's a crying shame theyre rewriting the whole thing from scratch though. I was hoping they would at least use afflecks script as a jumping off point. Like Bryan Singer used Joss whedon's original script as a jumping-off point for his X-Men movie.

Also the Joker again, seriously? I do want to see more of Leto as the Joker cuz he didn't get the screen time he deserved to flesh out the character in Suicide Squad. It makes sense they want to use the Joker again because he's the most marketable and well-known Batman badguy, he sells the most toys etc.

But seriously much like with Batman being oversaturated the Joker is oversaturated at this point. I don't even care the next villain is Bat-Mite or the penny plunderer. I just want a Batman villain we haven't seen before on the big screen to get his due.

As for Wonder Woman? It makes sense they would make it another prequel taking place before Batman v Superman.

Given how poorly received the last few movies were, DC is pretty much trying to do everything they can to work around the movies the audience didn't like. To avoid talking about them without breaking continuity. The problem being that bvs was intended to be a big movie to lay the groundwork for the rest of the Cinematic Universe. And when that faced the extreme backlash it did, all the problems that people had with it are problems people are going to have with the future movies set in the continuity after it after it. (Supermans psychological issues in Man of Steel and bvs and the fact that Batman took down thugs with a chain gun is something they are going to have to address eventually, if they don't want to have to reboot this whole thing. Tldrdrtherwise people are never going to give them the credit they deserve even if the movies are otherwise decent. Even the Marvel Cinematic Universe addressed the issues people had with the Mandarin. Poorly, but I can at least give them credit for listening to the complaints fans had.)

As I mentioned on the universal monster thread
if the first few movies in a Cinematic Universe aren't critical Darlings then every other movie you make after it is going to have to essentially be an apology for the last few movies instead of being able to focus on the plot you currently have and commit to the original ideas you had when you started the project.

Is Batman v Superman just going to be something the DC Cinematic Universe is never going to get over is it going to have to keep self flagellating itself forever for the crimes of one allegedly bad movie?

Return to “Film and Video”