Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Magneto
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: May 03, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magneto » Sat May 20, 2017 10:32 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If I'm in the military I call my CO and do what he tells me to do. Mind you, with policy being what it is I have a pretty good idea what he'll tell me to do, but I run it by him first since he's in charge. That's how command structures work.

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying awfully hard to prove Misato's not fit for her role, but nobody seems to be buying your argument. Maybe you want to rethink things?


I'm not trying to denigrate Misato's image, I'm just trying to discuss a question that seems logical to me, I do not care if I do not have the support of other people,I say this with all due respect, this topic has been building beyond our little discussion, But this is not a competion if you interpreted it that way; finally, I no longer want to dwell on my argument, I am sorry if it seemed a little annoying.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4347
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: At the Movies
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 21, 2017 1:35 am

Misato's personality as a commander makes sense for me. I've worked with a lot of leaders & when they're on the job they're strictly business but at home they greatly decompress however possible.

Really the only flaw I can find in the representation of Misato as NERV Tactical Operations Officer is age. She's only 29 when the majority of NGE's story takes place & is realistically far too young to hold a position of that stature. Most of the core NERV crew is for that matter. Ritsuko - the head science office - is only 30. Being so central, Maya, Aoba & Hyuga all must qualify as directors of some tactical operations department within NERV & they're are all in their early 20s. Realistically people that central to what is a multi-billion dollar organization with a staff of thousands if not millions worldwide & acting as the key minds in the last line of defense for the entire planet would at the youngest be in their 40s or older after having acquired decades of tactical experience. Of course, realistically we wouldn't put our hopes for humanities future in the hands of hormonal 13 year olds piloting giant billion dollar robots so you just gotta enjoy it & go with the flow.

DarkBluePhoenix
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 692
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Opening a Wormhole
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, given Misato's unorthodox approach to well... everything, she certainly seems like the most qualified for the job. I mean, catching and angel in yours hands a fairly ballsy plan, and it pays off. That kind of outside the box thinking and skill against an ever changing enemy and lack of realistic support (with the available Evangelions being the only tactically viable weapon), she does pretty damn well.

Basically, she's the Kirk of NGE, she doesn't believe in a no-win senario.

I agree with Bagheera, she's more than qualified, and her age shouldn't be an issue. And her lateness to an angel alarm? She's not on shift 24/7... so travel time does have to factor into things. It's not like she ignores the Angel alarms.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Magneto
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: May 03, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magneto » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:50 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
Really the only flaw I can find in the representation of Misato as NERV Tactical Operations Officer is age. She's only 29 when the majority of NGE's story takes place & is realistically far too young to hold a position of that stature. Most of the core NERV crew is for that matter. Ritsuko - the head science office - is only 30.


Not the problem with age, the parallel with Ritsuko shows this, despite the little difference Ritsuko looks like experience while Misato does not, this does not interfere in his functions but I wonder how a person can be so sloppy and hold such an important position.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9833
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:04 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I wonder how a person can be so sloppy and hold such an important position.

But has she ever been sloppy in regards to her position? The Jet Alone episode intentionally highlights the difference between the way she conducts herself on a day off versus when she has work; even Shinji and Pen Pen are surprised by how professional she can be when she has a job to do. When it comes to her job, she displays control and wields command. It has plenty to do with her core issues of needing to be a good girl to please everybody, but also secretly wanting to dirty herself. As Kensuke and Toji point out to Shinji, Misato's sloppy side is something she only shows to those she cares about; everybody else only gets to see her professional side.

Honestly, that's how it should be. If my job was aware of half the things I do on my time outside work, I would not be in the position I'm in right now. Separating work from play is a valuable life skill.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Magneto
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: May 03, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magneto » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:10 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:But has she ever been sloppy in regards to her position? The Jet Alone episode intentionally highlights the difference between the way she conducts herself on a day off versus when she has work; even Shinji and Pen Pen are surprised by how professional she can be when she has a job to do. When it comes to her job, she displays control and wields command. It has plenty to do with her core issues of needing to be a good girl to please everybody, but also secretly wanting to dirty herself. As Kensuke and Toji point out to Shinji, Misato's sloppy side is something she only shows to those she cares about; everybody else only gets to see her professional side.

Honestly, that's how it should be. If my job was aware of half the things I do on my time outside work, I would not be in the position I'm in right now. Separating work from play is a valuable life skill.

I believe there is the famous "professional personality", idealizing a person who maintains a certain functional adult balance of their work, I respect a certain level of scarcity, but not at the level of Misato, I think it is only a strong contrast, even if People are different when they are in the cycle of professional / personal negligence, do they demonstrate that they have similarities because they do what they like to be so competent? But Misato does not seem to know if she likes her job, she does not even feel happy for her promotion, even if there is an excuse to "think outside the box", this is not possible if she has no interest and knowledge in the area, How can she be so good at what she does if she does not show interest? We only have the Super-Sloppy / Super-Professional contrast, but there is no middle ground, nothing that connects these two things as we see in Ritsuko and even Maya.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

DarkBluePhoenix
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 692
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Opening a Wormhole
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:18 am

Magneto wrote:But Misato does not seem to know if she likes her job, she does not even feel happy for her promotion, even if there is an excuse to "think outside the box", this is not possible if she has no interest and knowledge in the area, How can she be so good at what she does if she does not show interest? We only have the Super-Sloppy / Super-Professional contrast, but there is no middle ground, nothing that connects these two things as we see in Ritsuko and even Maya.

She does show interest, she wants to destroy the Angels and prevent Third Impact. Her entire reason for being there is displayed mentioned several times. I believe Ritsuko called it a crusade at one point. If a crusade doesn't show interest in her job, I'm not sure what would. There really is no middle ground needed for Misato, she not that kind of character. Her views are very back and white, thus her personality is the same. Ritsuko is a person living in the gray area, so her personality between working and her private persona are also in the gray area because she mixes work with pleasure , i.e. Gendo.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Magneto
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 45
Joined: May 03, 2017
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magneto » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:28 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:She does show interest, she wants to destroy the Angels and prevent Third Impact. Her entire reason for being there is displayed mentioned several times. I believe Ritsuko called it a crusade at one point. If a crusade doesn't show interest in her job, I'm not sure what would. There really is no middle ground needed for Misato, she not that kind of character. Her views are very back and white, thus her personality is the same. Ritsuko is a person living in the gray area, so her personality between working and her private persona are also in the gray area because she mixes work with pleasure , i.e. Gendo.

To have hatred of the angels and want to prevent the third impact is what any average person would do if they knew the truth about the second Impact, especially the peoples who lost their relatives in it, but we know that not everyone can do it without qualification to work in the Nerv , As there is this gap to defend Misato in a real world context, I think we could have found some way to show that she is interested in her profession as Ritsuko that we clearly see her expertise in computers, not show that she is only competent for hating The angels, is something that even on her level of knowledge about the origin of the angels is strange to have so much hatred, she never thought because they were coming to Earth? If angels really hate humans? She is not a birthing child like Asuka who thinks of defeating the angels on childish grounds.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9833
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:56 am

Misato has a personal vendetta against the Angels because they killed her father. She is probably the single most driven person to have in the position, even if it's a selfish reason. She's not happy with her promotion because status was never what she was after; she's after results.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests