Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Magneto
Embryo

Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Sun May 14, 2017 11:49 am

I know there is a topic similar to this but I do not want to deal with how Misato got her job, but rather question her skills in some situations for just curiosity title, so, come on:

Let's imagine that Nerv really exists and is trying to fight strange monsters that try to decimate the human race, Misato composes one of the most important positions of this agency.

Sometimes I think she's too emotional and sloppy to be in this position, let's take a look around, there are so many professional people at Nerv, Hyuuga, Aoba, Maya, Ritsuko, Fuyutsuky and even Gendo, everyone seems in place, but Misato seems A typical college girl enjoying her youth.

We can see that over time she really does not seem to understand the environment in which she is involved, not only when Ritsuko talks to her in technical terms and she does not understand, but also when she interferes in situations where she does not have skill . In episode 13 For example, when Iruel attacks, she commands in an area that is entirely in charge of Ritsuko.

Sometimes she comes late to Nerv's headquarters when an angel is attacking, what kind of clerk is this ?? (I know you're going to talk about Gendo, but you know this has important reasons).

In addition I do not see as much participation of her in the battles, Episode 06 was her best moment really, Episode 09 Kaji gave a great help, Episode 12 we can not say that it was by her total competence, most of the time we only see her shout '' Launch '' And simply disappear.

To Misato fans I have nothing against the character, this is just for discussion.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Misato as Nerv Tactical Operations Officer

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Misato has her issues. Sure she may act like a slob when she's at home or a bit unprofessional at her job, but my guess is that it's to hide her pain that she's going through. Like Asuka, she doesn't show it like Shinji does.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am

Misato has her job because she's driven, competent, and good at thinking outside the box.

Fun exercise: go through the show and count the number of times the word "Impossible!" is uttered (typically by Misato or Ritsuko). If Ritsuko is saying it it's because she's denying the reality in front of her: this thing has happened, she can't wrap her mind around it, so she doesn't believe it. If Misato's saying it, though, it amounts to saying "that's bullshit, who the hell is fucking with us?" She says it when events reveal a lie from Seele/Gendo, or when something happens that legitimately shouldn't (like the power going out in NERV HQ). IOW Ritsuko says it because she has no idea what the hell is going on, while Misato says it because she knows exactly what's going on and that something's screwy about the situation. And that is why she's Nerv's chief tactical officer: she adapts to situations and quickly grasps the implications of events as they happen, and that's something you need in a tactical commander. Specialized knowledge re: the Evas is a luxury compared to that.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 15, 2017 12:15 pm

To add to what Bags said: Misato is highly intuitive and does have a very tactical mind. Her quick thinking and planning is the only reason Nerv had any hope against the likes of Ramiel, Gaghiel, Israfel, and Sahaquiel. She also a huge risk taker, which is a major factor in her success. Take her stunt with the AAA Wunder at the beginning of Q, for example. How many times does Ritsuko tell her the odds are impossible, only to be proven wrong? Outside of work, she may be immature and sloppy, but a lot of brilliant people are like that; when it comes time to work, she straightens up and is sharp as an arrow. We also see her become less of a slob as the series progresses, as she becomes more driven to find out Nerv's secrets. When she puts her mind to something, she accomplishes great things.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm

@ Bagheera

I just wanted to kindly remind you that Misato has also tried to suggest the end of the Magi system as a way of '' there is no other alternative, '' Ritsuko had to intervene because she was aware that there was another option. This I am only referring to when Misato was unable to decide the situation and she did it wrongly.

@ Sachi

Sorry, but I do not think you can support Israfel as Misato's triumph, she basically did nothing but give simple commands in this operation besides following Kaji's plan. Sahaquiel's defeat was just a lucky chance more than anything, but I accept it because she had the urge to make a decision on this one; finally, I really agree with you and Bagheera on the other points.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 15, 2017 7:06 pm

RE: Israfel: wasn't the entire operation her idea? What did Kaji have to do with it (I honestly can't remember)? Misato specifically chose Asuka and Shinji to work together (as opposed to him with Rei), and I'm pretty sure she would have come up with the choreography for the "dance" too. Under her command, Shinji and Asuka were able to execute the operation flawlessly, something they failed at initially when they acted on their own.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 7:10 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:@ Bagheera

I just wanted to kindly remind you that Misato has also tried to suggest the end of the Magi system as a way of '' there is no other alternative, '' Ritsuko had to intervene because she was aware that there was another option.

Isn't this simply an example of Ritsuko being an expert on the computers and them having to deal wih a computer problem that particular day?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:RE: Israfel: wasn't the entire operation her idea? What did Kaji have to do with it (I honestly can't remember)? Misato specifically chose Asuka and Shinji to work together (as opposed to him with Rei), and I'm pretty sure she would have come up with the choreography for the "dance" too. Under her command, Shinji and Asuka were able to execute the operation flawlessly, something they failed at initially when they acted on their own.

Really? , Well, Kaji was the one who gave the idea of choreography with song to make attacks synchronized with the Evas, that basically made him the pillar of this operation.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Isn't this simply an example of Ritsuko being an expert on the computers and them having to deal wih a computer problem that particular day?

Yeah, I don't really see how that can be spun as commentary of any sort on Misato's capabilities as a commander. It would be really weird if Ritsuko didn't know more about how the Magi worked, seeing as how she built them and everything.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Isn't this simply an example of Ritsuko being an expert on the computers and them having to deal wih a computer problem that particular day?

I did not put this in question, what really bother me is Misato intrude into an area that is clearly that of Ritsuko, meaning Iruel is a kind of 'hacker angel', what could Misato do?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I did not put this in question, what really bother me is Misato intrude into an area that is clearly that of Ritsuko, meaning Iruel is a kind of 'hacker angel', what could Misato do?

Respond to the crisis as director of operations and defer to those with more specialized knowledge when appropriate, which is exactly what she did.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 8:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Respond to the crisis as director of operations and defer to those with more specialized knowledge when appropriate, which is exactly what she did.

Why did not she give Ritsuko the command right away ? , She gave an order to destroy Magi without adequate knowledge.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 8:31 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:Why did not she give Ritsuko the command right away ? , She gave an order to destroy Magi without adequate knowledge.

It's not a commander's job to cede command to underlings at the drop of a hat. Your expectations here don't make sense.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's not a commander's job to cede command to underlings at the drop of a hat. Your expectations here don't make sense.

Destroying the Magi System would end Nerv and could no longer fight the angels, I mean that Misato was mistaken for lack of knowledge in this decision, how could she keep the command acting wrong?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 15, 2017 9:06 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:Destroying the Magi System would end Nerv and could no longer fight the angels, I mean that Misato was mistaken for lack of knowledge in this decision, how could she keep the command acting wrong?

So a commander has to be right 100% of the time to keep their command?

Again, your expectations here don't make any sense.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:31 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:Destroying the Magi System would end Nerv and could no longer fight the angels, I mean that Misato was mistaken for lack of knowledge in this decision, how could she keep the command acting wrong?

I'm pretty sure that destroying the MAGI was the last resort, the same way that Misato would order the Nerv head quarters to self-destruct to prevent the Angels from reaching Lilith and initiate Third Impact.

She's intent on stopping that from happening, no matter the cost.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Tue May 16, 2017 10:56 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:So a commander has to be right 100% of the time to keep their command?

Again, your expectations here don't make any sense.

I think there is only a misunderstanding on her part, I just said that Misato did not have the technical knowledge to deal with an Angel as Iruel, even though she has the authority, she corresponds only to the tactical area. In the end this is just a script error, because things do not make sense.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I think there is only a misunderstanding on her part, I just said that Misato did not have the technical knowledge to deal with an Angel as Iruel, even though she has the authority, she corresponds only to the tactical area. In the end this is just a script error, because things do not make sense.

I disagree. Iruel's an angel, and thus a tactical threat. The fact that it's invading via the Magi is immaterial. She absolutely should have responded as she did, and she absolutely should have backed down when Ritsuko offered a better idea. She did both of these things, so I don't see the problem.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I disagree. Iruel's an angel, and thus a tactical threat. The fact that it's invading via the Magi is immaterial. She absolutely should have responded as she did, and she absolutely should have backed down when Ritsuko offered a better idea. She did both of these things, so I don't see the problem.

I swear I reflected on your point but ...

Misato could have asked for Ritsuko's opinion before giving a wrong answer, this is not about authority but about who is more qualified for situation.

If a virus invades your computer, do you call a tactical general or an IT technician?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:If a virus invades your computer, do you call a tactical general or an IT technician?

If I'm in the military I call my CO and do what he tells me to do. Mind you, with policy being what it is I have a pretty good idea what he'll tell me to do, but I run it by him first since he's in charge. That's how command structures work.

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying awfully hard to prove Misato's not fit for her role, but nobody seems to be buying your argument. Maybe you want to rethink things?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”