God's personality

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

God's personality

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm not talking about what the scriptures say his personality is, but what you can personally garner from reading about his interactions with humanity, both good and ill interpretations.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: God's personality

Postby Reichu » Mon May 08, 2017 10:53 pm

God's personality has a suspicious tendency to match up with the personalities of individual believers. If I didn't know better... :shifty:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 pm

God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 08, 2017 11:42 pm

God who?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

big_big_bozo
Embryo

Postby big_big_bozo » Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 pm

sacred cum swamp denizen

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:God who?

Like in what way?

No one honestly has an opinion?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 2:28 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:his interactions with humanity,

People talk about these - but I've never come across a properly attested case of any such interaction happening, so can find nothing to say.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 am

Did I not word it properly enough for you to understand the question?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 2:37 am

Since I don't believe there is a God, and no supposed evidence for one (or more) has seemed to me to provide proof, I don't acknowledge that he has a personality other than in the sense Reichu acknowledged - as a projection of the believer's (i.e. loving, strict, cruel, narcissistic, vengeful, indifferent - take your pick of the versions on offer).
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 2:42 am

Oh, I didn't know atheists were commenting in this thread. I kind of only wanted people who are familiar with the Bible because only they can give me an answer, not that your opinion is invalid, because I do value your words.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 2:47 am

I am very familiar with the bible (and all the possibilities I just mentioned are in it). But that's only about one particular God of many, and some would argue that there are different books about the same God (e.g. that Allah as described in the Koran is the same God as Yahweh described in the Old Testament).

My father wrote books on Christian religion, and his last was entitled God Beyond Knowledge - in it he explained that we cannot know the answer to your question, but his reasons are different from mine.
Last edited by pwhodges on Tue May 09, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 am

Then give me your opinion of his personality given how he acted in the books, even if you find them imaginary.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 3:04 am

I edited my earlier reply, crossing with your response: loving, strict, merciful, cruel, narcissistic, vengeful, indifferent, ineffable - these can all be found in biblical accounts of him. As a result, no coherent picture of him (or her, if you want to be modern about it) can be built up, and people react to this by cherry-picking to their taste. This leads to disagreement, argument and serious conflict, which there is no sign that God cares about - certainly he does nothing to prevent it, or to stop people getting injured and killed as a result. He also does nothing to prevent other forms of misery or evil, which if he had the powers he is described as having he certainly could do.

But if I go on, this thread would probably qualify as a forbidden "serious discussion" topic.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 am

Reply to a deleted question  SPOILER: Show
"What's bad"? Any of the summary list I gave which you do not consider good? Let's start with cruelty - the story of Job will show that very straightforwardly (also his narcissism, in the conclusion). I happen to think that cruelty is bad, and do not think that God saying it's all right really because you (Job) still believed in me, Me, ME! is an adequate excuse for it.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 3:23 am

Oh I deleted it because I saw that you listed negative qualities as well, I'm falling asleep so I didn't read the words you used all the way, I thought you we're only listing positive qualities that the Bible says he has instead of personality traits you observed from reading about his interactions with people.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue May 09, 2017 3:34 am

This isn't exactly an obscure topic, Chaddy. A web search should give you plenty of material. No real need to test the limits of what we're going to allow here with the SD forum gone.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am

God is an anonymous entity with limited alleged interactions with humanity. It's like he's a forum user (more like a mod actually), you can't accurately judge his personality any more than people can judge yours based on your posts on EGF.

Snow
Lilith

Postby Snow » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

I personally feel that his personality is a calculative, careful mind with a relatively human temper, yet able of forgiving and loving of his creations.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 09, 2017 11:16 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Then give me your opinion of his personality given how he acted in the books, even if you find them imaginary.

That could be anything, depending on which part of the books you read. There is no consistent character depicted throughout.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Then that would qualify as a personality trait, he's inconsistent in the way he feels, he fluctuates.

And Reichu, I'm not interested in other forums, these are the people I'm use to, therefore opinions I want. I don't think this warrants being put in the serious area, I'm not asking about beliefs, faith, whether he exists or not.

I just want opinions on his personality from the stories they've read about him where he interacts with humanity, I'm not interested in anything else.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”