After EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Snow
Lilith

After EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun May 07, 2017 7:08 am

In the very end of EoE, when both Ikari and Soryu return from instrumentality and have some fun on the beach, the film ends. Now i am aware that it might be for the audience to interpret, but what exactly should happen? Will other people decide to return from instrumentality or..?
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: After EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun May 07, 2017 7:47 am

What should happen? Whatever the viewer feels should happen
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:What should happen? Whatever the viewer feels should happen

My guess would be starvation to death, but oh well.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Previous discussion (starting over 10 years ago) here -- https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/2458/ ... -thoughts/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun May 07, 2017 4:00 pm

I guess really it's whatever you want to happen that happens. I always took it as it's up to us to decide what happens next for those characters. I always like to think the world manages to get restored to how it was. Yui leaving manages to restore it somehow and humanity does come back. Shinji/Asuka slowly but surely begin to move forward with their lives and come to understand one another and gain that happiness that each other craves. For me this involves them admitting their love for one another.

I always view EoE as having a hopeful message so that's one reason why I think the world is restored at the end.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 pm

I guess the movie ending was left open to the audience for a reason. The future is unknown to all of us, so it's up to us shape it out. And that's basically the same thing regarding Shinji and Asuka after Instrumentality. We don't know what happens to them next, so it's up to us to decide the outcome.

And that is why there is so many post Third Impact fics, some are positive and some are negative.

The negative ones tend to magnify the issues between Shinji and Asuka, where they continue to fight with one another, with no signs of improvement. I guess these were done in order to keep in touch with the show's tone, which is depressing for most people. Though some authors might have exaggerated the said character's issues to their breaking point for the sake of negativity.

The positive ones, however, were made to give people hope that Shinji and Asuka did recover after Third Impact and resolved their issues. Some authors tend to rush things a little where Shinji and Asuka had magically gotten over their problems and instantly had happily ever after, while some others take their time to allow the two characters to work things out and have them be developed organically to make them more believable while still retaining their personalities( because getting over personal issues don't happen overnight you know!).

As for me personally, I think these two would get by somehow, now that Instrumentality has given them a chance at some self reflection. (I know Shinji most certainly had.) These two children will be on their own for a while, and when some people manages to come back, I think things will be alright with them. It will certainly be a long, hard road to recovery for the two of them, but I think now that they have their walls torn down, they should be able to make up for how they treated each other and finally allow themselves to get closer to one another, even at the risk if getting hurt, but I don't think it will be as bad as it was before.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 am

What is more important for Shinji and Asuka now is, that they should use their chances to build their own lives, to find goodness and meaning for themselves. And now because NERV, SEELE, the Angels and Evas are gone, there won't be anyone who dares to play god. And no one 'll decide over Shinjis and Asukas lives ever again, like their Parents.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 am

I suppose its possible for them just to starve to death and for no one else to come back, or for Shinji to get killed in a lynching when people come back but why would you "want" that. It would feel almost anti-climactic for after all Shinji and Asuka have been through for them just to die. I guess that probably why it ended where it did, saying that their survival, prosperity, happiness, and relationship(be it romantic, platonic, or antagonistic) is now up to them.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:What is more important for Shinji and Asuka now is, that they should use their chances to build their own lives, to find goodness and meaning for themselves. And now because NERV, SEELE, the Angels and Evas are gone, there won't be anyone who dares to play god. And no one 'll decide over Shinjis and Asukas lives ever again, like their Parents.

Amen.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”