So who here is into Samurai Jack?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

So who here is into Samurai Jack?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 pm

It was one of my childhood favorite. Such an awesome show! With it's iconic split screen effect and a ton of action. As well as a balanced use of humor and some more serious tones.

And the theme song used for the opening and ending is totally kick ass!

And when Samurai Jack came back in an all new season, I was super stoked! And I really like how it transitioned from being a kids show to being aimed at young adults, which adds to the badassary.

It'll be great to finally see how the show will end after so many years, and to see if Jack will eventually defeat Aku and return to his own time.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: So who here is into Samurai Jack?

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 6:40 pm

There's only two episodes left before Samurai Jack ends forever. I feel kind've sad. . . I've wanted a conclusion to the series since it was cancelled. But now that it's in sight, I kinda don't want it to end. I want to keep having adventures with Jack in a crazy insane world with alien creatures and mythical beasts.

But after everything he's gone through, if anyone deserves a heroes homecoming, it's definitely Jack.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 08, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm glad they were able to revisit Samurai Jack. There is nothing more upsetting than a series not being given a proper ending.

*mourns The Clone Wars*
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:There's only two episodes left before Samurai Jack ends forever. I feel kind've sad. . . I've wanted a conclusion to the series since it was cancelled. But now that it's in sight, I kinda don't want it to end. I want to keep having adventures with Jack in a crazy insane world with alien creatures and mythical beasts.

But after everything he's gone through, if anyone deserves a heroes homecoming, it's definitely Jack.

Only two episodes left? Oh man, that is sad. It was such an awesome series. :sniffle:

But at least it's been a good run.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 pm

*mourns The Clone Wars*

I think they've finished the series on Netflix.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue May 09, 2017 1:49 am

I think he's talking about tartokovskys original Clone wars series which was aired on Cartoon Network in 2002.

Also. . . Wow I do appreciate that Gendy is doing more mature subject matter in this version of Samurai Jack. Part of me wonders what his original inversion of the finale would have been on CN proper, and not adult swim/toonami. . .

Because I honestly could never imagine a scene like this getting past a y7 rating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4EIFQTNQ8

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

No, I mean the 2008 Clone Wars series. It got cancelled when Disney acquired the rights. A few "lost episodes" were released, but the series was never given a finale.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:54 pm

I honestly could never imagine a scene like this getting past a y7 rating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4EIFQTNQ8

Oh man, that first part would give me a nosebleed. :nosebleed:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 14, 2017 12:25 am

Just saw the most recent episode.

Goddammit AKU! GODDAMMIT! WE WERE SO CLOSE. So close we tripped at the finish line!

Well at least unlike eva 3.33, I only have to wait a single week for the next episode to get closure.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 14, 2017 12:29 am

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how this all ends!

And hey, at some point in time there will only be one single left before Eva Final is released. At some point. We may all be old & grey but it will happen...

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 pm

PSA

Tonight is the LAST episode of Samurai Jack EVER

Airs at 11 o clock Eastern and Pacific Standard time. DO NOT MISS IT! We've been waiting for a conclusion for this long.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat May 20, 2017 10:46 pm

I wish season 5 was 13 episodes instead of 10. The pacing felt off sometimes, and I would of liked
SPOILER: Show
to see more development in the relationship between Jack & Ashi.
Other than those things, I enjoyed Season 5.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 21, 2017 12:01 am

Solid final season. I do agree it lost something special in the final act. Probably once Jack became Samurai Jack again oddly enough. Still, solid storytelling & visual filmmaking throughout. Shame Genndy Tartakovsky doesn't have the clout to just continue doing his own thing & has to go back to Hotel Transylvania for more money but hopefully he'll have an original project again soon.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 am

It's over. I can't believe it's over! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF WAITING.

All the time jack was slicing up Aku I was thinking YES. YES! YES! :w00: It's a very bittersweet ending though.

SPOILER: Show
Jack going back in time to stop Aku's evil from spreading, makes it so Ashi, The Scotsman, The Ape Man, The Dogs, all his friends, all the people he's met and inspired over the years. Never existed.

That's pretty heavy stuff.

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Sun May 21, 2017 1:41 am

Catharsis, at last. Almost felt like... crying at a point.
The episode itself didn't so much affect me -not even the final twist- as the overall concept that it's over.
Samurai Jack was such a staple animation in my youth, I absolutely adored it, and to see it end after so many years of just accepting it would never come back; suddenly it just happens and that's that *Marrghhrhghm*

In general, I loved the first episodes; really bold and interesting in the context of the series, then it took a kinda generic path. Didn't like the last few that much, perhaps because I realised they'd have to find a way to just end it. I appreciate how Ashi was part of the entire equation throughout (specially her contribution in the final episode; hadn't dawned on me yet) but did expect what would come later on--Left me somewhat disappointed, I guess? Would've loved to see more beyond that point... or it might just be me wanting more Samurai Jack.

Ugh ~ And now this has allowed me to foresee how much of a disgusting mess Final will turn me into once it's released.
I'm a lurker at heart.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 21, 2017 1:46 am

Could have used more Aku.

But I would have said the same thing if the final season was 10 episodes of nothing BUT Aku.
I loved that he used the old credit sequence.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I loved that he used the old credit sequence.

That was Meta as hell.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:39 pm

After all these years, we finally got to see it end. Jack was able to return to his past and defeat Aku.
However, just at the part where Jack and Ashi are about to get married, I felt like the rug has been pulled underneath us.
I guess I should have known that when Jack had vanquished Aku, it would have an effect on the future, such as Ashi disappearing from existence.

(Sniff) Just when the JackXAshi ship was about to set sail. ;_;

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 pm

That kind of had to happen. Samurai Jack's time travel HAD to be the kind that erases all eveidence from that timeline to the present. Otherwise, Jack would have been terribly irresponsible for travelling back to his time with Future Aku still alive in the future. Otherwise all of jacks friends in that timeline would have still been trapped in a world with an evil deity ruling over it with no magic sword to defeat him.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm

I must admit the finale gave me feels. I kinda knew it was coming but still, seeing Ashi disappear and Jack crying was tough to watch. Worse when you consider all the people he met in the future will likely also not exist anymore. Damn, 13 years and it's finally over, bittersweet ending and all it was still very enjoyable.

Return to “Film and Video”