Asuka's defiance

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Redgirl01
Banned

Asuka's defiance

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Because she shielded Shinji, she could've died from that. She needs to learn that how Shinji saved her from the volcano was a one time thing and when Shinji told her to stop, she stubbornly refused to and didn't listen or say anything!

Even Shinji smiled when she said now we are even, why would that guy smile and she did sacrificed for him?

And in End of Evangelion, she didn't listen to Maya when she told her to stop, which also annoyed me about that scene from an overly violent film.
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Asuka's defiance

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 am

1. Asuka isn't the type of person to accept help from other people, as she thinks it makes her look weak. And she's too stubborn to admit her faults.
2. Shinji considered her as a friend, despite her abrasive attitude towards him. And as friends, it's only right that they could smile at each other's comments.
3. When it comes to people like Asuka; surrender, defeat, and giving up is not in her dictionary. She's the person who strives for victory, to win at any cost. If she looses, that could mean that she's not the best pilot (as far as she believes.). And she's also not the kind of person to follow orders unless it would work for her benefit.

So the whole "defiance" part is just a part of Asuka's personality. Sure, it might be bothersome for the viewers to watch, but you gotta admit that she's got spirit, maybe some of the things Shinji could learn from her.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 05, 2017 6:04 am

Niether Shinji nor Maya have authority over Asuka, so their orders are irrelevant. Shinji is a co-pilot, or, at least another pilot. Objectively he is neither above her nor below her: It's a lateral ranking, and we see that fact played out in their dialogue exchange in the opening of Episode 9. Maya really doesn't have any official interactions with the pilots. The only reason why she was communicating with Asuka directly in EoE was because Ritsuko was otherwise (dis)engaged. If I'm not mistaken, it is both the first and the last time this happens.

The only time Asuka defied her superior (Misato) was in Episode 23 when she launched Unit 02 without permission. (And even then, it's not defiance towards an order per sé, as I don't believe that Misato ever ordered her to stay down, but it was defiance towards an authority figure nonetheless.) This resulted in Asuka being stripped of rank and replaced, adding insult to the injuries she sustained during the attack.

If you need schadenfreude towards Asuka in NGE, perhaps you may find it there. But, for me anyway, even that would involve ignoring the pathos around the character, which becomes one of the most honest, raw, and opened to the viewer character arcs as the series progresses.

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 am

QUOTE REMOVED: You do NOT need to quote posts in their entirety.

QUOTE REMOVED AGAIN: IF A MODERATOR REMOVES A QUOTE FROM YOUR POST, DO NOT REPEATEDLY PUT IT BACK IN. QUOTES ARE FOR CONTEXT-SPECIFIC RESPONSES. YOU ARE NOT RESPONDING TO SOMETHING SPECIFIC, OR SOMETHING FURTHER UP THE THREAD. YOU'RE RESPONDING TO THE MOST RECENT POST. STOP PUTTING QUOTES BACK IN. THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING. USE QUOTES APPROPRIATELY.

But Gendo controlled Shinji's Eva in the Touji incident. And somebody could've hit her, scolded her, and punished her for it.

Every time Asuka defied orders, all it did was get her into trouble.
Last edited by Redgirl01 on Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am autistic with trauma and can act up, too. Sometimes I don't understand people. You just got to explain things better to me so that I can understand.

Epilogue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Epilogue » Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 am

Honestly, like I said in the other post, Asuka isn't someone that just anybody can like. If you really do have a problem with her attitude and actions, then it's kinda hard to convince you to think any other way.

Redgirl01
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Redgirl01 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 am

@C.T.1290: Asuka needed to admit her faults, even if she seemed to when she said "This isn't the real me."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 05, 2017 11:45 pm

View Original PostRedgirl01 wrote:But Gendo controlled Shinji's Eva in the Touji incident.

Yes, Gendo would be the only other authority figure for Shinji and the rest of the pilots. And there were consequences for his defiance too. Though, I'm pretty sure we're talking about Asuka's defiance, not Shinji's.

The only defiance that went without retribution from an actual authority figure in NGE was Rei III in EoE. I guess if we want to discuss unpunished defiance, we should start there and not with Asuka.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Rei III sort of is the authority figure there. Gendo may think he outranks a god...
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I think he knows he doesn't, and that's why his plan for securing godly power entails reshaping Lilith's soul so that it -- hopefully -- gives him favor (as a parent/authority figure).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat May 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Ah, both of you hit the nail on the head as far as who the actual authority figure goes. The next time I watch through Eva, I might watch it to study its approach to authority figures. Something tells me that, as usual, Asuka's character more or less highlights the more extreme,e aspects of the situation.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”