Talking about guns in Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EVA X
Lilith

Something I always wondered...

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am

How come whenever the pallet rifles are fired, there is never any shell casings falling to the ground?

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

Maybe the shells stay inside of them until they're taken out? :???:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Mon May 31, 2010 11:02 am

Why use extra space for casings instead of more bullets? Maybe the pallet rifle is as actually a large linear machine gun, so it doesn't need casings?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 am

Because the animation budget said so.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 pm

I was going to say caseless rounds (fabricating shells that size would be ludicrously expensive), but now that I think about it, firing bullets that size would build up so much barrel heat that caseless ammo would be infeasible.

Probably animation budget.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon May 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Too big a pain in the ass to animate it, probably.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Too big a pain in the ass to animate it, probably.

though we do see shells in the rebuild 1.0 in others guns like the vulcan that unit 01 uses.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:13 pm

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:though we do see shells in the rebuild 1.0 in others guns like the vulcan that unit 01 uses.

NGE was working with a much smaller budget than Rebuild however, and also did not have the aid of any CG technology.

1995=/=2007
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Mon May 31, 2010 4:49 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:NGE was working with a much smaller budget than Rebuild however, and also did not have the aid of any CG technology.

1995=/=2007

Yes, of course i know that, but the Pellet gun still don´t have shells in the rebuild even tough we see shells in other guns.

Of course they could have choosen to keep up with a mistake due to restriction in production and not change the design of the gun, or the pellet gun just work differently (as the name implies even tough obviously isn´t a air-pressure gun lol), also in the original evangelion the pistol replic of desert eagle unit 01 uses in ep 16 expell shells, so not all guns use traditional shell based projectiles (aka bullet).

The pellet gun doesnt have a visible replaced magazine or port for shell ejection to begin with, witch is not the case with the AWM replic that Rei uses in both episode 16 and 23 that ALSO don´t expell shells but have even a bolt system clearly visivel, i think u shoul'd have appoited those guns as a better example. Not to mention that awm has a optic scope with just seens absurd and useless for its size.

Design sacrifices.
Last edited by sephirotic on Mon May 31, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re-watching Eva since 1999

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Mon May 31, 2010 5:02 pm

they can have a similar design as the guns in the first Mass Effect had in terms of bullets
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

You know, I could have sworn they did at some points [I'll be damned if I know for certain though lol] if they didn't, it's probably the same reason they didn't animate the entry plug scenes properly: [Falling tears and static hair in LIQUID?] low budget.

Granted, they didn't fix the LCL errors in rebuild so blame it on Anime physics/animator laziness/forgetfulness.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:03 pm

View Original PostHalicat wrote:Granted, they didn't fix the LCL errors in rebuild so blame it on Anime physics/animator laziness/forgetfulness.

Eh, they were kind enough to add bubbles. :P Doesn't make it any less bizarre, of course.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:13 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:Eh, they were kind enough to add bubbles. :P Doesn't make it any less bizarre, of course.

There is that I suppose XD And in the original series, they added slight voice distortion like talking through liquid so that was good, but since I haven't watched rebuild for a while, I can't recall them doing that in it?

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm

View Original PostHalicat wrote:There is that I suppose XD And in the original series, they added slight voice distortion like talking through liquid so that was good, but since I haven't watched rebuild for a while, I can't recall them doing that in it?

There was voice distortion?

I recall it being used in the dub, but not in the original Japanese.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:23 pm

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:There was voice distortion?

I recall it being used in the dub, but not in the original Japanese.

Now that you mention it, that is true. I was watching it dubbed the other day since I was using the computer and my DVD player dies with subs, that's probably why I remembered that.

Orgeston
Embryo

Strange Gun from EP02

•      
  •      

Postby Orgeston » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:12 am

So, what the heck is this gun? Is it ever mentioned anywhere else?
"BUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdat BUM BUM BUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdat BUM."
~Shiro Sagisu

Orgeston
Embryo

Re: Strange Gun from EP02

•      
  •      

Postby Orgeston » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:15 am

For that matter, what's the story with the positron rifle? How are the positron rifle and the positron sniper rifle two separate guns? They even both appear in EP22. The wiki lists the positron sniper rifle as the one requisitioned from the JSSDF's R&D labs, but you can clearly see the blue and white positron rifle as the one being taken from the lab. Did they take the positron rifle and completely engineer the positron sniper rifle from it in the duration of EP06?
"BUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdat BUM BUM BUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdatBUMdatdat BUM."
~Shiro Sagisu

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 am

It's been a long time since I've seen ep 6, but if I remember right, Ritsuko said to the effect that their own positron weapon was still in development and wouldn't be ready while the JSSDF's one, while more experimental, was workable, so it could be used.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 am

View Original PostOrgeston wrote:So, what the heck is this gun?

Pallet rifle, no?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 pm

It's the Yamashita sketch version of pallet rifle. The final pallet rifle design is much more animator-friendly.

As for the Positron Rifles I'm assuming the designs are different because of what they wanted the firing pose to be. Operation Yashima needed prone, where the finalized rifle doesn't quite work. Arael you had the standing pose for 02 and the rifle looked badass as intended.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”