Illegal torrent trackers tumbling down (tumbling down)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Illegal torrent trackers tumbling down (tumbling down)

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 28, 2017 7:26 am

On the whole "out of print =/= impossible to obtain" argument...

I'm at a convention right now. All of the completed Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD (all of them from the Renewal source released by ADV in some fashion) cost around $100 - $150. That's honestly not bad. You spend around the same price on Aniplex's Gurren Lagann DVD set, and that comes with soundtrack CDs, print materials, and other things ADV's NGE releases didn't have. (The cheaper, inferiorly constructed, stack box sets of TTGL that were previously printed by other companies average about $90, and you still have to buy soundtrack CDs, because why wouldn't you?) I also found NGE on LaserDisc for $250, which I probably would have gotten if I hadn't already blown my shopping budget on an animation cel from Eva. (Also, I would suddenly be in the market for an LD player, which I currently don't have.)

Though, I will say that $120 for the rare 2-disc set of D&R and EoE is a bit up there. I mean, it's rare, sure, but it's still the Manga Ent. release. I'd just go ahead and purchase the Renewal DVD versions from Japan for $80, which contains better quality versions of both films as well as DTS Surround Sound, and add subtitles myself. (Despite how entertaining they may be, I personally don't think the Manga Ent. commentaries are worth the extra $40, especially with the awful quality of the films themselves.)

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 pm

So Japanese companies are shutting down anime trackers because they're worried about the potential impact on their sales, even though in many cases these trackers are being used by people who otherwise can't get the material.

So, uhhh.. why don't these companies create their own translations, hardsub the videos, then sell them on YouTube or Vimeo or something, without going through an American licensee? Is there a law against this?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:26 am

"Seriously, who the fuck uses hard subs anymore? *torrents MKV files*"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 am

The Chinese, whose fansub scene is still somewhere in the 2005-ish era, with the expectation that their users will only have toasters for playback. The first subs for the WaSuYu1 movie this spring were Chinese hardsubs (the group involved was gracious enough to take the English .ass and release a separate English hardsub rather than leave us with just overlaid softsubs, lacking any actual raw at the time).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Seriously, who the fuck uses hard subs anymore? *torrents MKV files*"

People with older devices that don't support soft subs in MP4s and don't support MKVs at all - there has to be a reason that there are groups devoted to making hard-subbed MP4 versions of soft-subbed releases.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 am

It was, of course, a rhetorical question that I assume would be asked by someone not much amused by the idea of shelling out good money to have text permanently plastered on the image when they can get something pristine for free.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:42 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It was, of course, a rhetorical question that I assume would be asked by someone not much amused by the idea of shelling out good money to have text permanently plastered on the image when they can get something pristine for free.

I mean, people who don't need/want the subs can just buy a Japanese DVD and not care about whether or not it gets an American license, right? Isn't Japan a part of the same home video region as the US? According to Google, Japan shares a DVD region with the UK and a Blu-Ray region with the US.

But, uh, hardsub or no hardsub, can't Japanese companies sell media files directly to international consumers online, without going through a license? I don't think the anime on Steam is hardsubbed.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 am

A few, though not many, Japanese Blurays have been released with English subs. And Japanese BDs are usually region-free, even though the corresponding DVDs are region-locked.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”