Just finished watching The End of Evangelion...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Just finished watching The End of Evangelion...

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm

... And what a ride it was.
At first, I thought it was going to be a bit gruesome than I can handle( the hospital scene, Asuka getting torn apart by the MP Evas, and everyone dying during the Third Impact.). But after watching it for myself, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would, but Asuka's defeat was still a pretty terrible way to go.

I thought that she had everything coming to her during the series, mostly because of her bad attitude. But it seems I was wrong. She did have her shining moment when she realized that her mother has been with her all along, fixing what I believe to be most of her problems. But I don't think that still excuses her behavior towards others ( Shinji included), so I believe that her being strangled by Shinji is somewhat justified to a certain extent, but probably not to a point of Killing​ her (she already went through that, so it's bad enough.), But maybe as some rough way of reprimanding her, to make her think about her actions. But needless to say, I now believe that Asuka didn't deserve to die, or some of the terrible things that had happened to her before in order to learn from her mistakes. But Gendo on the other hand, I think he got what's coming to him, for all the hell that Shinji and the others had suffered through because of him.

And regarding Shinji, well, what he did to Asuka was pretty low, even by his standards. But at least he regretted it, which is the reason why he refused to take action and to save his own life.
At the end, it was pretty amazing to say the least. It gives us some hopeful insite that all will be alright with the world. And I'm proud that Shinji made the right choice at the end, as much as I'm proud of Asuka for breaking out of her shell. It seems that Shinji has learned his lesson along the way, but I'm not sure that Asuka had learned anything much, since we never got to see things from her perspective. Chances are she might be the same as she was before, maybe a little better, but not much. With her last line "How disgusting", in my point of view, it may be directed towards Shinji (in the state he's in and for the choices he made.). But I don't think I picked up any trace of disain towards him, she sounded really tired for it to be considered so. So I think there might be some chances for the two of them to make amends for their fractured relationship.

It looks like that these two former EVA pilots are now stuck together and on thier own for a while. I wonder if this means that they'll start treating each other nicely from now on, and finally be friends. (and maybe a little more if they decide to, but how's that even remotely possible for these these two?) And where the ending was left off, it's hard to know what's going to happen to them. But I guess the ending was left open for a reason, hence the fanfics I come across from time to time.

Any way, I thought the ending was quite good, and maybe not as bad as some other might make of it. I could only hope the final rebuild film will end on a positive note too, where Shinji can make up for his mistakes, and everyone will get along and be a little more nicer to him. (I'm looking at you Asuka!)

So enjoyed it, I hope others did as well.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Just finished watching The End of Evangelion...

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:32 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:... And what a ride it was.
It seems that Shinji has learned his lesson along the way, but I'm not sure that Asuka had learned anything much, since we never got to see things from her perspective.

Dude I wish Anno would do a ova rebuild of the series with Asuka as the main character. I think I would've probably have liked that a lot more than the actual rebuilds.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Dude I wish Anno would do a ova rebuild of the series with Asuka as the main character. I think I would've probably have liked that a lot more than the actual rebuilds.

Yeah, I guess it would be a bit more interesting to see some things from her perspective. Maybe​ if they're lucky, they'll probably come up with some ways to get us to like Asuka some more instead of the other way around.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Yeah, I guess it would be a bit more interesting to see some things from her perspective. Maybe​ if they're lucky, they'll probably come up with some ways to get us to like Asuka some more instead of the other way around.

I really wish they'd do a manga or a tv show as well because I always wanted to know what life would be like for EOE Shinji and Asuka. ^_^

In the mean time though could just go and read Jimmy's 2nd try fanfiction http://www.jimmys-desktop.de/index.php or jcmoorehead's The Catalyst https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11566380/1/The-Catalyst As both fanfictions looks at what could have happened after the beach scene and are good if you have EOE blues.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:42 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I really wish they'd do a manga or a tv show as well because I always wanted to know what life would be like for EOE Shinji and Asuka. ^_^

In the mean time though could just go and read Jimmy's 2nd try fanfiction http://www.jimmys-desktop.de/index.php or jcmoorehead's The Catalyst https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11566380/1/The-Catalyst As both fanfictions looks at what could have happened after the beach scene and are good if you have EOE blues.

I read both of those fanfictions, and I must say that those two are pretty good. I like to see Asuka grow out of her shell of hatred and own up to her actions for once, and finally be nicer to Shinji instead of using him as a stress ball.
And I happen to a AsukaXShinji shipper, even though realistically, that seems unlikely that these two would get together like that, so that seems to be a bit hopeless (even more so in Rebuild.).
Needless to say, I would like see these two get along instead of confronting each other like they did in the series, and find ways to mend their relationship instead of making things worse.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Ghosts by Bagheera is now required post-EoE reading as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:51 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Ghosts by Bagheera is now required post-EoE reading as well.

I didn't know he wrote fanfiction as well.
I knew he had some extensive knowledge on Asuka, but I never knew he was a fanfiction author too.
I'll have to check it out sometime.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Ghosts is brilliant, super emotional as well in places. I'm glad you enjoyed The Catalyst by the way, I had a lot of fun writing that one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:It looks like that these two former EVA pilots are now stuck together and on thier own for a while. I wonder if this means that they'll start treating each other nicely from now on, and finally be friends.
There's this classic thread on the topic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon May 01, 2017 8:44 am

Ghosts of Evangelion is a great Post-EOE fic. It has joined the pantheon of so many fics that try to give the characters a happy and believable ending.....AND it Succeeds in spades!
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I really wish they'd do a manga or a tv show as well because I always wanted to know what life would be like for EOE Shinji and Asuka. ^_^

I think this unproductive thought, the author wanted to give us this end, no matter what people want, they went through 3I, just that enough, whether they will improve as individuals or not, are just things in life. :emogendo:
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I think this unproductive thought, the author wanted to give us this end, no matter what people want, they went through 3I, just that enough, whether they will improve as individuals or not, are just things in life. :emogendo:

I personally think that the post-EOE fanfics gives some form of closures to the viewers. And it's also an opportunity to continue Shinji and Asuka's story based on the individual's interpretation on what could happen afterwards, wether it be good or bad.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 am

Magneto wrote:I think this unproductive thought, the author wanted to give us this end, no matter what people want, they went through 3I, just that enough, whether they will improve as individuals or not, are just things in life. :emogendo:

I wouldn't say it's necessarily unproductive, but Anno did succeed in providing a tremendously unconventional conclusion. I think it would be rather interesting to know how Anno would have continued to story however, supposing that for whatever reason he just felt like adding what Shinji and Asuka were up to in an empty wasteland.

But hey, speculation and imagination are the reason fanfics exist. Yippee.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 am

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I think this unproductive thought,

Unproductive for whom, and based on what criteria?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 am

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I think this unproductive thought, the author wanted to give us this end, no matter what people want, they went through 3I, just that enough, whether they will improve as individuals or not, are just things in life. :emogendo:

Okay but for some people EOE is really harrowing to watch because you see characters die in very awful ways who you love or like not to mention the JSSDF armies culling of Nerv is one of the saddest thing to watch as you can see how utterly helpless the staff are as there gunned down and most are unarmed and this can leave people feeling sad and confused because its not the happy ending you normally get its dark and uncertain and the movie is very open ended.

These kind of endings in media can put fans of a certain fandom of for a very long time and make them mad because they can feel like they've been cheated due to unresolved issues or the lead character dying. That's why fanfiction is needed its allows writers to wrap there heads around the unresolved character issues and readers get a chance to see the characters carry on and maybe have some form of happy ending or at least get some form of closure.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 16, 2017 4:14 am

View Original PostMagneto wrote:I think this unproductive thought, the author wanted to give us this end, no matter what people want

Only trivia is for purely passive viewing/reading; any worthwhile piece of fiction leads the viewer/reader to think about motivations and consequences, including those that follow from the ending. Anno himself has said that it is up to us to find the explanations or solutions; so discussing the consequences of EoE or presenting ones ideas in fanfic form are simply engaging with the author's work as he would wish.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Only trivia is for purely passive viewing/reading; any worthwhile piece of fiction leads the viewer/reader to think about motivations and consequences, including those that follow from the ending. Anno himself has said that it is up to us to find the explanations or solutions; so discussing the consequences of EoE or presenting ones ideas in fanfic form are simply engaging with the author's work as he would wish.

I did not refer to the field of speculation and interpretation, but not that the author does another job just because the fans want, what the fans want may not be the motivation of the author, why return to something that is already accomplished? This is my point.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 am

View Original PostMagneto wrote:why return to something that is already accomplished?

Well in my case I started getting into fanfiction because I wanted to see more. I wanted to know more about what Asuka/Shinji did after EoE and as there wasn't an official answer I turned to fanfiction and I loved it. I started writing because I had an idea that I thought would be fun to write. (Evangelion redone in the style of the X Files)

I returned to writing because randomly one day the idea for a short Post EoE piece popped into my head. I had a lot of fun writing it and I thought it was a good way to destress after working long hours. I shared my work and got back into the Eva community. I found it to be a good way to make friends, talk to people and in general have a lot of fun. I personally enjoy sitting there and coming up with what-ifs, whys, hows and alternate takes on works. It's fun and quite relaxing for me and being a small part of the community around it is a great experience.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:20 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:But hey, speculation and imagination are the reason fanfics exist. Yippee.

True that. It's always fun to see other people's ideas on what could happen afterwards.
Last edited by C.T.1290 on Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momskisses
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby momskisses » Wed May 17, 2017 2:01 pm

My first viewing of the show and movie was pretty dumb, I just clicked random episodes out of order and then watched the movie in chunks over the course of like a week, so all the depth and impact just didn't register. 2 years later, recently sat down and watched it all correctly and honestly, I can't think of a piece of storytelling that has affected me as much as Eva, maybe Welcome to the NHK. I feel like it ended not in the way that I liked but the way that I needed, like my guts wanted to see everything get resolved and all the pain to be worth something, but it was better for me to be reminded that not all things can be saved or repaired, some things have to suck even if the right choice was made. I really wish I could've absorbed this message earlier in life. I might have to rewatch (like I haven't been doing that for the past few weeks) and pay more attention to the character development, I feel like I haven't paid much mind to the inner progress of the characters and there's definitely important things to be pondered there. Anyway I give it like 3/10

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”