Should Asuka die in the final film?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Should Asuka die in the final film?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:59 pm

After watching 3.33, I was left a little peeved with how everyone has treated Shinji throughout the film, especially with Misato and Asuka. Which leaves me with this question.
Sorry if this seems a little harsh and might end up offending some Asuka fans. I don't really hate her, but my feelings about her are somewhat mixed.
I haven't even watched End of Evangelion, but I get the feeling that the final film might be more or less reminiscent of it.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Should Asuka die in the final film?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:44 pm

It should be noted that Anno is supposedly in a better place psychologically than he was in late 1996-early 1997 when he was writing end of Evangelion so I wouldn't expect as many deaths as there were in that film.

I mean, dude has a hot wife who he obviously has a good relationship with. That goes a long way.

I would expect at least one of two significant deaths during the course of the final film. I'm thinking the most likely of which to be Gendo and Misato. Asuka's fate is kind of up in the air as far as I'm concerned. None of the secondary characters are nearly as important or focused upon in this iteration of the series.

Who knows?

All I know is that since Anno doesn't have to bullshit character psychology due to lack of budget, he can drop Asuka's, Rei's, and Misato's inner developments by the wayside.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 am

But like, why though?

Your post implies that Asuka dying would be retribution for her treating Shinji poorly, but that's not how Eva works.

Also, I'm a bit peeved that you said you haven't watch EoE. Do so and report back with your findings- I highly implore you to do so before you lend proper comparison between NGE and the Rebuilds. I also really hope that you have completed the entire original series as well.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 am

No character should die because someone in the audience thought they were too mean to the protagonist.

Just because Shinji is the main character doesn't mean the world actually revolves around him. He's been disembodied in an Eva for fourteen years, and these women have been forced to deal with his mess all the meanwhile. Try to see things from their perspective. I wager if you were in their positions, you'd have been far less restrained when it came to how much patience and mercy to exercise.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 am

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:But like, why though?

Your post implies that Asuka dying would be retribution for her treating Shinji poorly, but that's not how Eva works.

Also, I'm a bit peeved that you said you haven't watch EoE. Do so and report back with your findings- I highly implore you to do so before you lend proper comparison between NGE and the Rebuilds. I also really hope that you have completed the entire original series as well.

Well, the reason I haven't watched EOE was because I haven't mustered the courage to do so, due to some... Certain scenes that may be a bit disturbing to some viewers. Also, I read about how the film screwed some people over, and I wasn't willing to take that risk. So got some spoilers instead. (Shameful, I know. :sniffle: ) I did watch the original series though, at least twice now.
And I have the full collection of the manga adaption by sadamoto, and since it's more closer to the original series, it did give me some insight on what EOE would be like despite it's twists.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:15 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:... the manga adaption by sadamoto, and since it's more closer to the original series, it did give me some insight on what EOE would be like despite it's twists.

It's very far from the same experience, though; and the ending is entirely different. You really do need to watch it at this stage. Yes, it's a pretty brutal watch at times, but it ends up with a message of hope for the future.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 am

Well, he already killed Asuka once, in EoE, following her awesome fight, even if she did get better at the end. And at the end of Q, she's in the same role as Misato was in EoE, dragging Shinji around.

So my guess is "been there, done that" and "that's way too obvious a flag".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am

Asuka died already in EoE and Anno won't repeat it in Final. She also had a near death in 2.0, so I really think she's up there with Shinji in the "100% won't die at the end" tier.
In my opinion there at two themes/subplot going on in the rebuilds that will prevent her from dying: she's the incarnation of everything Shinji tried to "redo" in Q. She's the avatar of his mistakes that fighted Shinji's excapism into Kaworu's easy way out. At the same time at the end of the movie she seems to have taken the role guide to happiness that Kaworu foreshadowed to Shinji before his death. Surely she's isn't going to be as soft as Kaworu was, I see him getting a few slaps, but we all know that our past sometimes give us even more than that.
In addition to this there's also the fairy tale theme that Anno carefully planted inside the story already from the first movie. Shinji is going to save the princess in the final movie. Either it being in a literal way, Shinji saving Asuka from death, or in a more abstract way, Shinji saving Asuka from becoming a ruthless person or a total lonely?, it's surely going to happen at this point.
In every case I'm pretty sure that Asuka x Shinji is going to be one of the major focus of the movie and it's a relationship that I expect to be in positive terms at the end of the final movie.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 am

Q: Should Asuka die in the Final Film?

A: If it becomes relevant in the story of the Final film for her to do so then yes. Otherwise, it's impossible to tell at this point in time.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:26 am

In case of Rebuild, I don't think that Asuka 'll die in Final. This time there won't be any fucking MP Evas with a S² Engine controlled with a Dummy Plug to bullshit her and playing around with her hope to survive them. With what happened to her since Matsushiro, through her angelic infection form Bardiel and 14 years of more war and life expierience and what she did in 3.0, no one can surely tell what she will do in Final. Though what ever she does, it isn't without a risk to cause more horrors to happen.

What She, Misato and the others from Wille did to Shinji was neither right nor wrong. It was nothing more than total human faliure, like anything what went wrong with them. They should've gone straight to the fucking point why they are so fucking pissed at him, that they put a fucking bomb collar on his neck and that Asuka fist fucked bulletproof glass almost to shards in front of his fucking, stupid, bratty face. That they let Shinji escape was their mistake either. I bet they didn't thought straight about what to do with Shinji. They could've as well let him rot in a cell. He might owe them a lot for causing N3I and N4I and making everyone live in his self-made hell, though it solves a fuck if they go on like this.

Gendo and Seele knew the whole time that they 're fucked up, fucked up enough to turn them against each other, while they plan their sick masterplan to play gods behind their backs.

Honestly I don't care what 'll happen in Final. It 'll end the way it deserves, like with NGE years ago. They brought it all on themselves, with everything what went wrong in Evangelion. In the end there are only compromises and they 'll all live with that shame.

Their fate 'll be their punishment. :crucified:
Last edited by The Cruel on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Well, he already killed Asuka once, in EoE, following her awesome fight, even if she did get better at the end. And at the end of Q, she's in the same role as Misato was in EoE, dragging Shinji around.

So my guess is "been there, done that" and "that's way too obvious a flag".

Yeah, I think you raised a good point there.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:
Their fate 'll be their punishment. :crucified:

Just like one clown said: "EVERYTHING BURNS." :devil:

But in all seriousness, who knows how Final will end for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, or ANYBODY for that matter? The thing that will be most consistent is that it will be an ending that will require some sacrifice of some kind......or maybe it won't, will it? :emogendo:

All we do know, is that it will be an Evangelion ending....a category all to it's own. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just because Shinji is the main character doesn't mean the world actually revolves around him.

But it was an in-universe cruel sense of irony that that ended up being the case. WILLIE made the mistake of thinking just because they didn't "need" him doesn't no one else does and ignored what he was and could do as an impact trigger. Relying on the threat of the choker and coldness to keep him in line instead of talking to him straight away,

Anyway i don't think Asuka should or will die, for one she already has had a close encounter with death (twice if we count the space mission) so dying right as thing start looking up would suck. Especially if her death was for being "mean" to Shinji. Besides there has been a big build up of Shinjis failures to do right by those closest to him, if he starts to make amends with Asuka only for her to die would be such a kick in the nuts for Shinji and the audience as well. When he should be getting to hope and care for the world as is he would instead get more pain and failure.

NGEtv and EoE for all their pain and heartache still ended in a hopeful note. NTE isn't as grim so i don't think we'll be seeing big deaths of the good guys.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Just like one clown said: "EVERYTHING BURNS." :devil:

But in all seriousness, who knows how Final will end for Shinji, Asuka, Misato, or ANYBODY for that matter? The thing that will be most consistent is that it will be an ending that will require some sacrifice of some kind......or maybe it won't, will it? :emogendo:

All we do know, is that it will be an Evangelion ending....a category all to it's own. :)

Watch as Anno pulls the greatest twist in anime history:

He gives the Evangelion Rebuilds a legitimately happy ending, no strings attached.

That would certainly be a shocker.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 pm

View Original PostRadicalRandy wrote:Watch as Anno pulls the greatest twist in anime history:

He gives the Evangelion Rebuilds a legitimately happy ending, no strings attached.

That would certainly be a shocker.

Amen dude. Amen. And ending, where everyone (aside from Gendo) lives, and moves on to a better future. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:00 pm

View Original PostSettie wrote:WILLIE [sic] made the mistake of thinking just because they didn't "need" him doesn't no one else does and ignored what he was and could do as an impact trigger. Relying on the threat of the choker and coldness to keep him in line instead of talking to him straight away,

I wouldn't say they "ignored" his status as an Impact trigger, since that's the very reason they gave him a bomb collar.

'Not talking to him straight away': What do you call everything that Ritsuko and the others told him? Shinji got a considerable amount of explanation, all things considered. First of all, Wille were under some serious pressure trying to get Eva-01 installed as the Wunder's new engine, and, eventually, dealing with a Nemesis Series attack on top of that. And second, contemplate the difficult inherent in catching someone up on fourteen years of history alone. And on top of that, Wille needed to make Shinji aware and accepting of his destructive capabilities; and in addition to that, he eventually needed to be told that the person he'd nearly destroyed the world trying to save is no longer around. There is no human way to tell someone all of this stuff in one sitting and have it go smoothly.

Wille were giving Shinji information in readily digestible tidbits, while trying to establish very clear and necessary boundaries (given the doomsday powers). And you get to see what happens to Shinji when both of those conditions change at Neo-Nerv: he enters a state of despair where he's easily manipulated, and then, lo and behold, he triggers another impact. (Who could have possibly seen that coming? Oh, right...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:09 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Q: Should Asuka die in the Final Film?

A: If it becomes relevant in the story of the Final film for her to do so then yes. Otherwise, it's impossible to tell at this point in time.

Knowing Anno, if any character deaths become integral to his story, he'll most likely remove any ounce of schadenfreude the audience could potentially latch on to. All of his character deaths made me feel sick to my stomach, and I'd expect any possible character deaths in Shin Eva to be no different.

My guess would be that it's more likely we'll see both Rei 2 and ReiQ die in Shin Eva than we would see Asuka die, since their the only "pilots" that have a strong bond with Shinji in NTE, and therefore their deaths would contribute more to the story. But time will tell if that's the case.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I wouldn't say they "ignored" his status as an Impact trigger, since that's the very reason they gave him a bomb collar.

I'll keep it brief to not derail too much anymore. Ignored perhaps wasn't the best way to put it, but what i got from Ritsukos' genuine surprise that NERV wanted Shinji specifically, rather than just Unit-1, as something that came out of left field for them. As for everything else, it wasn't so much what they said (they could've started with the nerv/willie split for instance in case of an attack) but how they said it, after all kindness goes a long way. Misato said he was under their protection, so what better way to sway him than not giving him the cold shoulder right away.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:My guess would be that it's more likely we'll see both Rei 2 and ReiQ die in Shin Eva than we would see Asuka die, since their the only "pilots" that have a strong bond with Shinji in NTE, and therefore their deaths would contribute more to the story. But time will tell if that's the case.

I agree with your guess. Yet i wouldn't be surprised if Anno decided that everyone should die again.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:26 am

I would not like to see Asuka die again as it was hard enough in EOE saying this though I do see a character death coming and I think it might be Mari's because I think her main goal very much revolves around Yui and getting her out of the core and I think it will lead to her death by Gendo's hand as in the manga she was his romantic rival for Yui affections. Though I would still dislike this as I would prefer the final movie to have some form of happy ending in that the people who die are the ones who are the villain's and not people in the crossfire like in EOE.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”