Anno statements about End of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Javik
Adam

Anno statements about End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 am

I've been looking around different interviews and I'm wondering. Is there any interview in which Anno makes any statements about EoE? I've been discussing the endings with somebody and they were basically saying that the tv series had the real ending and the film is just an additional/alternative one. He did this based on an interview in which Anno states that the tv series ended with episode 26. So I'm wondering if there are any later interviews after the movie was made about its importance.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Anno statements about End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Episode 25 was supposed to cover the plot of the first half of EOE, but there was not enough time to produce it. Episode 26, however, was the intended end of the series. Source: thread/15478/Hideaki-Anno-x-Kazuo-Koike-October-22-2013/

Edit: To qualify what I said about Ep. 25, I haven't heard of any interviews that say which plot points from EOE this episode was meant to cover. But in 25 we see Misato shot and bleeding in the hallway (presumably shot by invading SSDF), and Ritsuko floating face-down in a lake of LCL (presumably shot by Gendo). It would be interesting to know what fate they originally intended for Asuka in the TV series.

Javik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javik » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:16 am

I know this interview (also glad it didn't come out the way they originally wanted), I'm just wondering if Anno ever commented on EoE after it was made. How to treat it in the context of the whole show.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 am

The closest he came to a definitive answer was probably here. The final paragraph is particularly relevant:

Anno wrote:"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. We will never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the 'all-about Eva' manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to find our own answers." -PA #43, translated by Miyako Graham from 11/96 Newtype

So we have a little bit about the original intent of the show's creators -- 25 was supposed to be the top half of EoE, 26 was supposed to be the finale -- but past that we have no real indication of how the two endings are supposed to interact, and none will be forthcoming. We have to find our own answers.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 pm

The best assumption to make about how 25 and 26 would have originally turned out is that 25 would focus on the invasion of NERV, Asuka's final battle, and up to the point when Shinji gets tanged in P3I Instrumentality. Episode 26 would have begun relatively where the playground scene begins in EOE.

There wouldn't have been a hospital scene and we would not have had psychoanalyses of Rei, Asuka, and Misato.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:09 am

^ I also wonder if the Post-3I beach scene in EoE wouldn't have originally played to be so static. It seems like a stark contrast to the energy present in EoTV's ending.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:09 am

The beach scene was never part of the original conception of episode 26. It was developed exclusively for EoE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:21 pm

It seems to bookend the also EoE exclusive hospital scene nicely.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”