[Fic] You Can (Not) Run Away

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

RadicalRandy
Adam

[Fic] You Can (Not) Run Away

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 am

Hey fellas. It's 3am where I'm at and I'm slowly losing my ability to give a shit anymore. Anyway, as I stew away in my pit of despair, I'd like to present unto you all a little project I've been dabbling at for a few months now.

For a little backstory (there's also a bit of information at the A/N I leave at the bottom of each chapter if you're interested), I conjured this idea of putting ol' Shinji-kun in a wheelchair because of two inspirations:
1. Johnny Joestar - protagonist in Steel Ball Run which is essentially an AU of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
2. I got my physical issues, and I've even been numbed from the waist down at one point.

I thought it would be interesting to mess up Shinji's life a bit more, considering that some fics tend to go in the opposite direction and try giving him a superpower or whatever (though I'm not saying that's entirely a bad thing).

Another thing to note is that I'm trying to keep it as *authentic as I can while adding a bit of my own twist to the original storyline. The primary reason is to limit any sort of external factors other than Shinji's obvious impairment that would otherwise affect how the story unfolds. And, you know, it's pretty neat to throw a curveball in the story and see how it goes or whatever. Sorry if these first chapters are incredibly boring, it's going to take a while to warm up both the content as well as my writing style (I've been writing too many essays that are, frankly, dry and immensely uninteresting at times).

If you like it- fantastic, I love you.

If you don't, well that's fine too.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12399376/3/You-Can-Not-Run-Away

Oh, and if anyone has anything interesting to add, please do.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: [Fic] You Can (Not) Run Away

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I read the first part of that fanfic, but haven't got to the further chapters yet. I think it's a pretty interesting concept. I'd like to see how differently things would turn out with Shinji being in a wheelchair.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:05 am

C.T.1290 wrote:I read the first part of that fanfic, but haven't got to the further chapters yet. I think it's a pretty interesting concept. I'd like to see how differently things would turn out with Shinji being in a wheelchair.

Oh jeez, I was completely caught off-guard to see something posted in my thread :tongue: thanks for the read!

Yeah, obviously my biggest issue is how I'm approaching the storyline with Shinji physically (and emotionally) handicapped, and I've reworked this concept several times over now. I apologize for the slow start and how it too closely resembles the show as the beginning is very difficult at properly alter since it provided a good introduction into what I wanted. I can assure you that from hereon I'll be taking the steps to change the direction of this given the new few chapters.

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am

Its a weird feeling that having Shinji being disabled actually somehow makes me more optimistic for him.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am

View Original PostGeometer wrote:Its a weird feeling that having Shinji being disabled actually somehow makes me more optimistic for him.

That's a nice attitude to have.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:39 pm

I wonder how Asuka will interact with Shinji with him being in a wheelchair, and his reason for piloting an EVA is for him to be able to walk instead of seeking praise from his father.
Hopefully, she'll treat him a bit nicer than she did in the series.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:19 pm

Update: here's the latest chapter. Posting it here for posterity and continuity of this thread in case anyone is interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12399376/4 ... t-Run-Away

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 am

Uh, so I guess I forgot about this thread. Anyway, Chapter 6 is up or whatever.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am

Been reading this I really like it and I think Shinji being in a wheelchairs adds a lot of stuff to the retelling also Asuka's reaction to him when they first meet was spot on as thats kind of what I'd expect her to say with out realizing how damaging those words are. I also like that Shinji being wheel chair bound forces Misato to act less childish and be a better care giver to him.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Been reading this I really like it and I think Shinji being in a wheelchairs adds a lot of stuff to the retelling also Asuka's reaction to him when they first meet was spot on as thats kind of what I'd expect her to say with out realizing how damaging those words are. I also like the Shinji being wheel chair bound forces Misato to act less childish and be a better care giver to him.

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:00 am

This isn't an update to the story itself, but I just really felt like sharing this quick doodle I made for the later parts of the narrative. It's incomplete because 1. it's a sketch 2. I don't know what I want the head to look like.

This is a little teaser of what I plan on adding to the story, eventually.

This is not Unit 01. This is Unit 01' (Unit 01 Prime) wielding a new weapon, the Progressive Sword with Shinji below it for size comparison.

SPOILER: Show

Description: A lumbering titan, Evangelion Unit 01' is the evolved form of Unit 01. The armor has been almost completely rebuilt to compensate for its increased performance weighing nearly twice as much as the original set of iconic purple and green. The energy radiating from Unit 01' is so powerful, steam often dissipates from the holes located on the front of its rib plates. Although he doesn't realize it, this action is often synchronized with Shinji's breathing as his synch ratio rises.

Progressive Sword: A blade worthy of the gods and rightfully wielded by the Evangelions. Although not entirely exclusive to Unit 01 or Unit 01', it is the weapon most often paired with the colossus.

Return to “Fanfiction”